Windows 10: HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK)

Discus and support HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey, First, I'm sorry if the title is not to informative, also for not browsing too many threads before posting this. My father got a laptop from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stykat, Mar 24, 2017.

1. stykat Win User

HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK)

Hey,

First, I'm sorry if the title is not to informative, also for not browsing too many threads before posting this.
    My father got a laptop from a retailer in Thailand, its a HP Pavillion 15 - ac628TU and it came with Windows 10 PRO, pre-installed.

The PC didn't seem to come with any software like HP laptops would usually come with and i did check the laptop's BIOS and it does show that it was not meant to come out of the factory with a Windows (i lost myself here, but bottom line, there are some ID's for the system board its just that it was not injected with a Windows license) and no it doesn't have a recovery partition either.

Anyway, the laptop was working properly, i even put the UEFI diagnostics in it, BIOS and drivers were up to date except for a few weeks when the laptop showed "..Your license key will expire soon.."

So i have checked one of your threads and have noticed the Windows license key and also checked it and its a volume license key (GVLK). I did try to activate it and it gave me the error: 0xc004f074

Now, to be honest i'm kinda lost with the laptop and that's because i can't tell what the guys did there, and because i have no idea how dad used the laptop.

Would any of the following help?:
    -Performing a system reset;
    -Creating a Windows 10 USB from the MS site and installing Windows 10 again
    -Adding a Microsoft account (laptop currently has a local account only)

Also, how do i know if the license key is pirated or not ?

Kind regards,

Steven

Edit: About the laptop not being assembled by HP with a Windows OS, In BIOS it shows "Factory installed OS: Non-Windows"

:)

stykat, Mar 24, 2017

2. Your window license will expire soon.

By the way,how to know if,the Window is licensed ?

Slmgr /dlv

Should show RETAILCHANNEL instead of VolumeKMSchannel and Retail instead of GVLK.

I hope this answers your query.

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 24, 2017
  3. activate license

As expected. You have a GVLK license of Windows which is used in corporate enviornment. Termed illegal if you are using it in the home. Whosoever installed the license, installed a counterfeit copy.

You would have to buy a new retail key from the store.

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums,

Short answer: I'm sorry to tell you you've been had. Buy a legitimate licence from Microsoft and you can change the product key to make it legitimate.

Long answer: you are not the first, see this lengthy thread on the same subject...
    Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem

It's possible (but unlikely) that at some time in its life it was upgraded to 10 and has a digital licence, the way to find out is one of the things discussed in the thread above.

5. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Mar 24, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 24, 2017
  7. stykat Win User
    Hey!

Thanks for all the answers again.

I did go through that long post again and checked to see if the Windows key is or not worth something. I tried talking with someone from from Thailand about it but they have no idea and just told me to take it back to the shop as they will fix it for me. In the end i just put Ubuntu on it, my dad won't use it for anything else either, just browsing the web.
    The invoice mentioned just the laptop without the Windows 10 and that could mean that if i take it back to them next month, they would do the same thing, more or less.

Thank you for your time and information guys.

stykat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK) - Similar Threads - laptop retailer key

2. Reactivating a retail key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating a retail key: Hello,In 2014, I obtained a retail windows 8.1 pro license key for my laptop. That laptop sadly died shortly after the end of the warranty period, roughly in 2017, and I bought a new laptop with an OEM-provided windows to replace it.I'm currently building a new computer and...
  3. Product key expired due to laptop breakage

Product key expired due to laptop breakage: My prior laptop broke and is part of HP Hinge laptop class action. At the time my product Key has expired. What can I do to get it working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-expired-due-to-laptop-breakage/0ba41ea2-f6fc-4ce1-be1d-a6446a905a74
  4. Windows 10 RETAIL Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 RETAIL Key: Dear Concern and Reader,First of all, I hope whoever is reading this finds you well and in the best of health. Now, I have a question and hoping someone directly from Microsoft would reply or anybody who knows about RETAIL keys of Windows and software. I purchased Windows 10...
  5. Windows 10 RETAIL Key

Windows 10 RETAIL Key: Dear Concern and Reader,First of all, I hope whoever is reading this finds you well and in the best of health. Now, I have a question and hoping someone directly from Microsoft would reply or anybody who knows about RETAIL keys of Windows and software. I purchased Windows 10...
  6. Windows 10 RETAIL Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Reuse Retail Windows Key

Reuse Retail Windows Key: Hi, I purchased a windows 10 key online back in 2018 because at that time I tried to install windows 10 for my MacBook, but I finally gave up and I deleted windows OS. However, recently I started building custom PC and I wonder if I can directly reuse that license key to...
  8. Find Windows Retail Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Find Windows Retail Key: Hello! A few years ago I bought a Retail Key, and the person working at the store told me that if I ever needed to format my PC it would be alright because Windows 10 keys are stored on the motherboard, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. A few years later, here I am,...
  9. Windows 10 Retail Key

Windows 10 Retail Key: Hello i have one question i buy a key Windows 10 pro Retail version but now i want to format my computer i have to unistall the product key from the cmd and after format with my usb? i download the media creation tool and put the windows inside or i just have to format...
  10. Windows 10 Retail Key

Windows 10 Retail Key: Hi I need to know is their any provision windows is selling a retail key of Windows 10 for lifetime validity I had found a guy on e-commerce site selling the Genuine Windows 10 Key at Rs. 299 Is this Genuine Or Someone is taking Advantage of Microsoft Name in India ....