Windows 10: HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK)

Discus and support HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey, First, I'm sorry if the title is not to informative, also for not browsing too many threads before posting this. My father got a laptop from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stykat, Mar 24, 2017.

1. stykat Win User

HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK)

Hey,

First, I'm sorry if the title is not to informative, also for not browsing too many threads before posting this.
    My father got a laptop from a retailer in Thailand, its a HP Pavillion 15 - ac628TU and it came with Windows 10 PRO, pre-installed.

The PC didn't seem to come with any software like HP laptops would usually come with and i did check the laptop's BIOS and it does show that it was not meant to come out of the factory with a Windows (i lost myself here, but bottom line, there are some ID's for the system board its just that it was not injected with a Windows license) and no it doesn't have a recovery partition either.

Anyway, the laptop was working properly, i even put the UEFI diagnostics in it, BIOS and drivers were up to date except for a few weeks when the laptop showed "..Your license key will expire soon.."

So i have checked one of your threads and have noticed the Windows license key and also checked it and its a volume license key (GVLK). I did try to activate it and it gave me the error: 0xc004f074

Now, to be honest i'm kinda lost with the laptop and that's because i can't tell what the guys did there, and because i have no idea how dad used the laptop.

Would any of the following help?:
    -Performing a system reset;
    -Creating a Windows 10 USB from the MS site and installing Windows 10 again
    -Adding a Microsoft account (laptop currently has a local account only)

Also, how do i know if the license key is pirated or not ?

Kind regards,

Steven

Edit: About the laptop not being assembled by HP with a Windows OS, In BIOS it shows "Factory installed OS: Non-Windows"

:)

stykat, Mar 24, 2017

2. Your window license will expire soon.

By the way,how to know if,the Window is licensed ?

Slmgr /dlv

Should show RETAILCHANNEL instead of VolumeKMSchannel and Retail instead of GVLK.

I hope this answers your query.

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 24, 2017
  3. activate license

As expected. You have a GVLK license of Windows which is used in corporate enviornment. Termed illegal if you are using it in the home. Whosoever installed the license, installed a counterfeit copy.

You would have to buy a new retail key from the store.

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums,

Short answer: I'm sorry to tell you you've been had. Buy a legitimate licence from Microsoft and you can change the product key to make it legitimate.

Long answer: you are not the first, see this lengthy thread on the same subject...
    Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem

It's possible (but unlikely) that at some time in its life it was upgraded to 10 and has a digital licence, the way to find out is one of the things discussed in the thread above.

5. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Mar 24, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 24, 2017
  7. stykat Win User
    Hey!

Thanks for all the answers again.

I did go through that long post again and checked to see if the Windows key is or not worth something. I tried talking with someone from from Thailand about it but they have no idea and just told me to take it back to the shop as they will fix it for me. In the end i just put Ubuntu on it, my dad won't use it for anything else either, just browsing the web.
    The invoice mentioned just the laptop without the Windows 10 and that could mean that if i take it back to them next month, they would do the same thing, more or less.

Thank you for your time and information guys.

stykat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP laptop from retailer Windows key will expire (shows as GVLK) - Similar Threads - laptop retailer key

2. Changing Key Function on HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Key Function on HP Laptop: Somehow (%!**) the key for the @ sign on my HP laptop has shifted from the correct location to another key. Can anyong help me get it back to where it should be (i.e. on the '2' key? Thanks...
  3. Windows 10 pro Retail key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro Retail key: I was using a retail key in my pc without any problem but suddenly my motherboard was gone and I got a replacement from manufacturer. From then I was facing windows activation problem, I contacted microsoft via skypee voice chat, the agent asks for the key and I told her....
  4. Window's product key expiring soon.

Window's product key expiring soon.: My window's product key is expiring on the 27th of August. I didn't even know it could expire. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-product-key-expiring-soon/7afe1595-db14-4edb-9f48-13677144a6d6"
  5. Windows 10 Retail Key

Windows 10 Retail Key: Hi I need to know is their any provision windows is selling a retail key of Windows 10 for lifetime validity I had found a guy on e-commerce site selling the Genuine Windows 10 Key at Rs. 299 Is this Genuine Or Someone is taking Advantage of Microsoft Name in India ....
  6. "your windows key will expire soon"

"your windows key will expire soon": I am getting an error that says, "your windows key will expire soon" I have windows 10 installed and activated on my PC. (it has been here for a long time) why am I getting this message and how to I stop it from continuing to pop up?...
  7. windows 10 activation with a retail key

windows 10 activation with a retail key: hello so my problem is simple i have a windows 10 professional retail key not affiliated with my Microsoft account about 5 month ago i bought a new hard drive and installed a new copy of windows on it (yes the version is pro) and when i entered the key it said that it wasn't...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Retail Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro Retail Key: I often change motherboard. If I buy the retail key, how many motherboard I can change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-retail-key/561e9289-3694-45e3-a87d-6873f21a54f4
  9. MICROSOFT WINDOWS LICENSE KEY EXPIRED

MICROSOFT WINDOWS LICENSE KEY EXPIRED: I received a phone call supposedly from Microsoft. It indicated to me that "Microsoft Window License Key has been expired in your computer. So the Microsoft Corporation has stopped the Windows services in your computer". They gave me a phone # 866-978-0078 to call to renew...
  10. HP Pavilion Laptop Key Board

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Pavilion Laptop Key Board: How do you fix the key board that will not allow you to type with it? I have exhausted all of the trouble shooting and have done a reset of the laptop , and still nothing. I need help on what to do next on this problem....