Windows 10: HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep

Discus and support HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have set my HP 250 G7 to sleep after 30 minutes when plugged in but after a couple of hours it switches to hibernate. I am not sure when this started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by banger, Nov 24, 2019.

1. banger Win User

HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep

I have set my HP 250 G7 to sleep after 30 minutes when plugged in but after a couple of hours it switches to hibernate. I am not sure when this started happening eg after a BIOS update or Windows update to 1909 but it never used to do this it would remain in sleep mode and I could wake it with the touchpad but now I have to press the power button to get back to the screen I was working on which works fine only takes a couple of seconds more. I have enabled screen saver log in if that makes any difference or changed behaviour. Any ideas?

:)

banger, Nov 24, 2019
  2. Phillmont Win User

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Yo_Wattup Win User

sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

1. HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop Hibernates sleep

2. Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate: I have the same problem as this in the form: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-after-waking-up-from-hibernatesleep/842fe617-17a5-4336-8708-8ca4c6c2ce7fThe solution didn't work on my laptop. I tried every common solutions like sfc scan, updating...
  3. Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate: I have the same problem as this in the form: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-after-waking-up-from-hibernatesleep/842fe617-17a5-4336-8708-8ca4c6c2ce7fThe solution didn't work on my laptop. I tried every common solutions like sfc scan, updating...
  4. HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed: Hi Microsoft Community, I posted this in the HP forums, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask for advice here as well. I bought a new HP Envy Laptop in August, and I've been having a strange issue for almost the entire time that I've owned it. When I first received...
  5. Laptops not switching from Sleep to Hibernation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptops not switching from Sleep to Hibernation: Title says it all basically. It started with my Gaming Laptop first (XMG Fusion 15). If i close the lid, the laptop should normally go to sleep for a certain amount of time and after that switch to hibernation due to saving battery. My other laptop (Dell Inspiron 13 5378) now...
  6. Surface Laptop 3 hibernates too fast after sleep

Surface Laptop 3 hibernates too fast after sleep: In the advanced power plan settings, Windows 10 allows us to configure "Sleep after x minutes" and "Hibernate after x minutes". Whenever I set "Hibernate after x minutes" to a value != 'Never', my Surface Laptop 3 hibernates after sleeping for a much shorter amount of time...
  7. Laptop Freeze After Sleep/Hibernate/Shutdown, Then Goes BSOD

Laptop Freeze After Sleep/Hibernate/Shutdown, Then Goes BSOD: I don't know how to fix this, but can you help me please? (Sorry for bad english) after i sleep/hibernate/shutdown my laptop, it freezes and then goes BSOD The only way how to get rid of this is just Hard Shutdown (Long-pressing the power button) Stop Code is:...
  8. Won't Hibernation after Sleep

Won't Hibernation after Sleep: My laptop will wake up in 30minutes after sleep, which is supposed to go into hibernation, instead, it just stay awake. My power setting is: sleep after - 15min hybrid sleep - off hibernation after - 30min wakeup timer - off Also, when I see event, there is this:...
  9. Sleep & Hibernate

Sleep & Hibernate: Other than maybe creating a custom power plan via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Create a Power Plan, how do I get my laptop to sleep or hibernate automatically? Long story short, I was using my laptop and Microsoft Edge to watch shows on CBS.com last...
  10. Sleep and hibernation

Sleep and hibernation: When I put my windows 10 PC to sleep it wakes up again after about 5 minutes, I have also tried hibernation mode and that does not work either, even when unplugging mouse, keyboard and, HDMI lead it still wakes up, I have even tried turning off notifications but still no...