Windows 10: HP Laptop Refuses to Boot to USB

Discus and support HP Laptop Refuses to Boot to USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have wasted the best part of a day searching for a solution. My ancient mother has a new HP laptop, thin as a rail and with no DVD drive; Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BuckSkin, May 4, 2021.

1. BuckSkin Win User

HP Laptop Refuses to Boot to USB

I have wasted the best part of a day searching for a solution. My ancient mother has a new HP laptop, thin as a rail and with no DVD drive; Windows 10. If it has a model name, I cannot find it. She has set it up herself and now has no idea what her password is; neither she nor I can get past the password screen. I have a known-good Sandisk flash-drive that has a bootable Linux-based password eliminating program. I have used this USB stick countless times to clear passwords and it has always worked --- until now. By pressing F10 on Startup, I get BIOS Setup Utility; in this screen, I made sure USB boot was enabled, disabled Secure Boot, and moved USB/Flash Drive to the top of the boot order. There is no option to enable Legacy Boot anywhere that I can find; no mention of it at all. Pressing Esc on Startup gets a list "Start Menu"; choosing F9 there gets Boot Manager/Boot Option Menu where I have two choices, default OS UEFI boot and Boot from EFI File. Choosing "Boot from EFI File" takes me to "File Explorer" with two options; the top option "No Volume Label -- etc. etc. USB etc. etc."; the second option "System -- etc. etc. SATA etc. etc." Choosing the top option "No Volume Label" takes me to four choices: <Sandisk Secure Access> <InternetAdapterDriver> <Z__This May Be USB Password Cracker> (That is exactly what it says) <SystemVolumeInformation> Regardless of which option I select, it takes me to two choices: <.> <..> Selecting the first option does absolutely nothing. Selecting the second option simply returns me to the four choices. Other that "Enter", my only other option is to press "ESC"; pressing "ESC" at any point returns me to the Boot Option Menu with the default O/S highlighted. I have tried my best to not omit anything that I am seeing; try and try and try again and it always just boots back to the password screen. I will repeat, the USB stick that I am using has worked numerous times on other laptops and has always obliterated all passwords and allowed access to otherwise useless machines. It may be a regional thing, but there are countless laptops among my friends and relatives that have forgotten passwords; I always set them up to boot straight into the desktop with no passwords at all; it saves a lot of grief later. Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated. Can anyone please tell me what I am missing ? I am about ready to lay this thing under the rear tandems and run the truck back and forth over it a few times.

:)

BuckSkin, May 4, 2021
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

HP Laptop Refuses to Boot to USB nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, May 4, 2021
  3. BuckSkin Win User

I have wasted the best part of a day searching for a solution.
    My ancient mother has a new HP laptop, thin as a rail and with no DVD drive; Windows 10.
    If it has a model name, I cannot find it.
    She has set it up herself and now has no idea what her password is; neither she nor I can get past the password screen.

I have a known-good Sandisk flash-drive that has a bootable Linux-based password eliminating program.
    I have used this USB stick countless times to clear passwords and it has always worked --- until now.

By pressing F10 on Startup, I get BIOS Setup Utility; in this screen, I made sure USB boot was enabled, disabled Secure Boot, and moved USB/Flash Drive to the top of the boot order.

There is no option to enable Legacy Boot anywhere that I can find; no mention of it at all.

Pressing Esc on Startup gets a list "Start Menu"; choosing F9 there gets Boot Manager/Boot Option Menu where I have two choices, default OS UEFI boot and Boot from EFI File.

Choosing "Boot from EFI File" takes me to "File Explorer" with two options; the top option "No Volume Label -- etc. etc. USB etc. etc."; the second option "System -- etc. etc. SATA etc. etc."

Choosing the top option "No Volume Label" takes me to four choices:

<Sandisk Secure Access>
    <InternetAdapterDriver>
    <Z__This May Be USB Password Cracker> (That is exactly what it says)
    <SystemVolumeInformation>

Regardless of which option I select, it takes me to two choices:

<.>
    <..>

Selecting the first option does absolutely nothing.
    Selecting the second option simply returns me to the four choices.

Other that "Enter", my only other option is to press "ESC"; pressing "ESC" at any point returns me to the Boot Option Menu with the default O/S highlighted.

I have tried my best to not omit anything that I am seeing; try and try and try again and it always just boots back to the password screen.

I will repeat, the USB stick that I am using has worked numerous times on other laptops and has always obliterated all passwords and allowed access to otherwise useless machines.
    It may be a regional thing, but there are countless laptops among my friends and relatives that have forgotten passwords; I always set them up to boot straight into the desktop with no passwords at all; it saves a lot of grief later.

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Can anyone please tell me what I am missing ?

I am about ready to lay this thing under the rear tandems and run the truck back and forth over it a few times.

BuckSkin, May 4, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, HP Laptop Refuses to Boot to USB :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. HP Laptop Refuses to Boot to USB - Similar Threads - Laptop Refuses Boot

2. HP Laptop Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Laptop Boot Loop: I am encountering a boot loop problem with my HP laptop. Upon startup, it shows the HP logo and loading dots for about 11 seconds, then goes to a blank screen for approximately a minute before automatically restarting. The power button does not turn off during this...
  3. HP Laptop Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Laptop Boot Loop: I am encountering a boot loop problem with my HP laptop. Upon startup, it shows the HP logo and loading dots for about 11 seconds, then goes to a blank screen for approximately a minute before automatically restarting. The power button does not turn off during this...
  4. HP Laptop Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HP laptop won’t boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP laptop won’t boot: I got an HP laptop last year and was using it for school and some light gaming and all of a sudden it just wouldn’t boot, So I started it up and went to try to reset it in system recovery and I got a blue screen with the stop code driver pnp watchdog. Does anyone know how to...
  6. Laptop blue screened and now refuses to boot.

Laptop blue screened and now refuses to boot.: I apologize in advanced for the lengthy post and I understand that not everything in the post is strictly Microsoft related. However, I would like to include as much detail as possible to maximize the chances of fixing my laptop. The laptop in question is a Lenovo Yoga...
  7. HP Laptop fails to boot from USB

HP Laptop fails to boot from USB: I have a HP 14-cm0012la laptop on which the original hard drive has failed. I purchased a new 240GB SSD and inserted into the laptop. I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool and ran that to create a bootable USB. However, the laptop is failing to boot from the USB. I...
  8. Windows 10 refuses to boot from USB...

Windows 10 refuses to boot from USB...: Good day guys, I tried creating a portable Windows 10 USB on my external SSD as well as a 16 GB USB, and although the creation process using WinToUSB & Rufus succeeded, my laptop refuses to boot from the USB. I get the "The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to...
  9. HP 625 Laptop, refusing to start.

HP 625 Laptop, refusing to start.: HP 625 OS: Win10 (Formerly Win7 Ultimate) Serial: 5CG1101CS Product: XT960UT#ABA Warranty: 1y1y0y (Not that this matters its a 2011) I replaced the battery about a month ago and haven't really over used this laptop, so I doubt that the issue here. If I press and...
  10. Refusal to boot

Refusal to boot: I first tried to install Windows 10 to a new ssd in a system with a hard drive that already has windows 8.1 on it. After the install it booted to the flash drive that had the install on it again. I removed that and it failed to boot. I cannot select the ssd in the boot device...