Windows 10: HP Laptop - Windows 10 - File Explorer and Thumb Drive Corrupted "Not Responding" Error...

Discus and support HP Laptop - Windows 10 - File Explorer and Thumb Drive Corrupted "Not Responding" Error... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Friends, I have a one-year old HP laptop running Windows 10 and a fairly new Phiilips 15 GB thumb drive. The thumb drive appears to be corrupted.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lawrence Wilsn, May 13, 2020.

1. HP Laptop - Windows 10 - File Explorer and Thumb Drive Corrupted "Not Responding" Error...

Friends,

I have a one-year old HP laptop running Windows 10 and a fairly new Phiilips 15 GB thumb drive.

The thumb drive appears to be corrupted. When I attempt to access the thumb drive on my laptop or a public computer the File Explorer feature freezes gives me the “Not Responding” error message.

- - When using my laptop the thumb drive completely freezes and I am unable access any files on this drive

- - When using a public computer I can access the files on the thumb drive, however, I receive the “Not Responding” error message for 20-30 seconds each time I access a file on the thumb drive

Both of the use cases above lead to very poor performance and personal productivity - "Not Responding" error message 20-30 times per day.

I have scanned both my laptop and thumb drive with McAfee AV software which reports "no"zero problems found.

I have scanned the thumb drive on a public computer using MalwareBytes AV which also reports "no" zero problems found.

Please help. Many, many thanks. Lawrence

:)

Lawrence Wilsn, May 13, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 13, 2020
  3. wren9x Win User
    Windows 10 file explorer not responding

following ALL of the above steps did nothing. explorer.exe still broken.

additional steps taken:

1x system refresh, explorer still dead

1x clean boot, explorer still dead

3x sfc /scannow, rebooted in between, explorer still dead

1x restore point, all programs uninstalled, explorer worked for 4 hours, then died.

1x reset, explorer still never opened

1x reverted back to 8.1, explorer woked, autoupdated to 10, explorer died

1x COMPLETE WIPE, reinstalled 8.1, autoupdated to 10, explorer died.

wiping again. reeinstalling 8.1. turning off updates for good.

amazing this CRITICAL issue exists at all.

wren9x, May 13, 2020
  4. HP Laptop - Windows 10 - File Explorer and Thumb Drive Corrupted "Not Responding" Error...

Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, May 13, 2020
Thema:

HP Laptop - Windows 10 - File Explorer and Thumb Drive Corrupted "Not Responding" Error...

1. HP Laptop - Windows 10 - File Explorer and Thumb Drive Corrupted "Not Responding" Error... - Similar Threads - Laptop File Explorer

2. ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The file is Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program residing on a SanDisk external 32G drive.I am a participant in Windows Insider - just recently updated...
  3. Corrupt files and File Explorer is not responding

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Corrupt files and File Explorer is not responding: Hello, I have tried opening a Word Document and it caused the File Explorer to not respond. I ran an SFC scan and was told the problem were corrupt files. So, I ran a DSMI scan and it apparently fixed it. However, File Explorer still stops responding when I try opening up a...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 File Explorer Not Responding: I have a Lenovo Yoga 730. I have OneDrive which is working well but File Explorer keeps “not responding” every time I try to move or copy files, sometimes even opening a file. I also tried the steps on your page Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was ...)...
  5. File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Responding: Hello, I am using Windows 10 on a new laptop (Lenovo D330) that I have used for around three weeks now. There were no problems before. All of a sudden, yesterday until today, every time I open my file explorer, everything works fine, it shows all the files contained in...
  6. Corrupt thumb drive - files with special characters can't be removed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Corrupt thumb drive - files with special characters can't be removed: I have a work thumb drive with a ton of data on it. Unfortunately between using several computers I think I picked up a virus, although no viruses have been detected. I have tried using my CMD controls to delete these files. I can the actual / real files are there, but...
  7. File Explorer not responding in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer not responding in Windows 10: I ran into the problem of file explorer not responding. I tried a couple of fixes that were recommended. I tried resetting the default but it didn't work. I tied restarting file explorer in the task manager and it didn't work....
  8. Windows 10 file explorer not responding

Windows 10 file explorer not responding: With respect to this particular problem. It started today immediately after I downloaded the Fall Update, and it affects both of my computers which have entirely different drivers installed. Why does Microsoft habitually blame the customer's equipment/software/drivers when...
  9. HP laptop will not respond

HP laptop will not respond: My HP Pavillion laptop will not let me log in at all. When i turn it on it will display a pink screen with the loading symbol continuously, sometimes it goes to a black screen with just my cursor, sometimes it does go to the login screen and i will type my password but then...
  10. File Explorer Windows 10 Not Responding

File Explorer Windows 10 Not Responding: Hi. I recently reset my laptop (ASUS ROG Series) and since then the file explorer has been giving me trouble. Either it doesn't open (if I restart the laptop then it does) but then it stops responding again or certain links won't open and my laptop also crashed once because...