Windows 10: HP LaserJet 5 with USB-Parallel only recognised after replugging USB

Discus and support HP LaserJet 5 with USB-Parallel only recognised after replugging USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a very old but perfectly reliable HP LaserJet 5, which under Windows 7 worked perfectly using a USB-Parallel converter. Under Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChrisA22963, Nov 17, 2015.

1. HP LaserJet 5 with USB-Parallel only recognised after replugging USB

I have a very old but perfectly reliable HP LaserJet 5, which under Windows 7 worked perfectly using a USB-Parallel converter.

Under Windows 10 (Enterprise RTM, clean install, not yet Threshold 2), it is recognised (and prints fine) if its USB connection is plugged into the computer after switching on the printer.

However, once turned off, it is not recognised just by switching it back on. Although it appears in Windows Printers correctly, it won't print unless the USB wire is unplugged and then plugged back in again.

Any suggestions appreciated - it's been perfect since 1997 under Windows 98, XP, and 7 (with the USB-Parallel converter).

Sadly just not under the 'best Windows ever'.

:)

ChrisA22963, Nov 17, 2015
  2. LucindaL Win User

HP laserJet 6l not working after windows 10 November update

After days of failed attempts, my printer was still spitting out pages of ... not what I wanted, that annoying, wasteful page after page of a line or two that were not the Test Page. I found a workaround offered on the HP Support Forum today. This worked
    for me, using my parallel-to-USB cable, as below, on a PC laptop (1 year old) running the recent upgrade to Windows 10, 64 bit. As instructed below, I did stop trying to use the "HP LaserJet 6 PS Class Driver," and I did have to assign a different USB port,
    then figure out which USB port [jack] was being affected. I had gone a year printing everything from my old laptop. Now I feel okay about putting Windows 10 on that laptop, too. These printers are workhorses and economical, and I know others, too, unwilling
    to part with them.

Re: Windows 10 driver for HP Laserjet 6L
    offered by a contributor in the HP Support Forum ‎04-18-2016
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ scroll
    down to find the entry

"Instructions for Installing HP Laserjet 6l on Windows 8 or 10 Computer
    1. Before doing anything, click on "Windows Update" and let it run (takes a few minutes). If you didn’t have the correct driver before then that should give it to you.

2. Control Panel - Devices and Printers

3. Click on "Add a Printer"

4. Click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"

5. For "Parallel to USB" connection, choose "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"

6. Pick an existing port. I use a cable that has LPT port (Parallel plug) at one end, USB at the other end. So my choice is USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB). Change it if it says “LPT 1”
    if necessary.

7. Now you see the list of manufacturers and models.

8. Select HP as the model, and select HP "LaserJet 6L" as the printer. Without Windows Update, it will only show "HP LaserJet 6 PS Class Driver", which causes the problem. Stick to "HP LaserJet
    6L"

9. The rest is straight forward. Print a test page and check if it comes out right.

If the above doesn’t work, try swapping USB ports on computer (USB 2 to USB 3 or vice-versa). The above was successful for me in Windows 10, 64bit."

LucindaL, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10- Windows Update constantly updating HP LaserJet 6L driver

Tried them all but Win 10 continually overwrites with the HP LaserJet 6L PS driver which does not work. I went to a USB to parallel cable and the printer is now recognized as a LaserJet 6L but I still recieve the PS version of the driver which does not
    work.

citmyway(2), Nov 17, 2015
  4. nidjo Win User

HP LaserJet 5 with USB-Parallel only recognised after replugging USB

Were you able to solve that printing problem with laserjet 5l?
    I own that printer as well, but i'm using old LPT port, which worked flawlessly on win7.
    I upgraded to win10, and having a problem, too.
    Windows recognize printer, i tried to reinstall it, but it just wont print, it says "printer is in error state", or "the printer couldn't print test page".
    Did you managed to do anything?

nidjo, Dec 16, 2015
  5. My printer is a LaserJet 5, not a 5L, and the problem I have sounds different from yours.

With mine, it prints fine, but only if I plug the USB cable in after switching the printer on. If I just leave it plugged in, the computer thinks it's offline until I unplug and replug the cable.

Sadly, this remains a problem even after the upgrade to Windows 10 v1511.

ChrisA22963, Dec 16, 2015
  6. nidjo Win User
    yes, I made a mistake, not the same printers...
    problem isn't the same, correct, but I was hoping that switching to usb interface would allow me to print even if I had to do it your way, since I can't print at all atm.

nidjo, Dec 16, 2015
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Does this printer print a test page on its own, outside of Windows I mean ?
    It's often just pushing and holding two buttons on the printer simultaneously, I just can't remember which one for that model.
    Consult the manual to do this and if it doesn't work then there actually is a problem with the printer. A usb to lpt conversion cable won't solve this anyway.

To TS, sorry, although I use a similar config as yours I can't help you with this. I did notice that W10 expects you to use the same port the printer was installed on though which is to be expected I reckon.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 17, 2015
  8. nidjo Win User

printer is working fine, I get test page when I press the button on printer. I had to print something, so I carried printer to my other pc with win7 installed, and it printed normally. I ordered lpt to usb cable yesterday anyway, it's not expensive - and who knows, it might help. I tried everything else already.

nidjo, Dec 17, 2015
  9. nidjo Win User
    Alright, solved! I borrowed LPT to USB cable to test my printer, and it's working! Seems Win10 doesn't support LPT port, LPT to USB adapter is needed. This made my day, almost 20 years old printer and still kicking *Smile

nidjo, Dec 17, 2015
  10. Great, glad to hear that. Just about to reboot after the latest cumulative update, let's see if anything else is fixed *Smile

ChrisA22963, Dec 17, 2015
  11. nidjo Win User
    did you consider installing drivers of some similar printer from same group/family? i would contact hp to ask about similar printer drivers if my solution failed....

nidjo, Dec 17, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

All the older HP printers that are supported by Windows 10 are delivered directly by MS.
    I don't think you'd find any W10 printer drivers on HP site for these printers.

W10 has no problem with the LPT port on another machine I have.
    I just bought the USB to LPT conversion cable for another machine I have which no longer has a LPT port.

Anyway, glad to hear one of you has his problem sorted.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 18, 2015
  13. Almighty1 Win User

Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP LaserJet 5 with USB-Parallel only recognised after replugging USB - Similar Threads - LaserJet USB Parallel

2. HP ENVY 5640 not recognised via USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP ENVY 5640 not recognised via USB: I just bought a new desktop with Win11 operating system. My HP ENVY 5640 series printer is not recognized as being plugged in via USB. I have loaded the program disc and the scanning software will not load. I went to the HP website and downloaded their drivers. Now I have the...
  3. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not recognised: I hope someone can help me please. I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I backup data with EaseUS Home to a WD Ultra Passport. When I plug in Passport to backup USB "F" the backup disc is there but drive "F" has a question mark against it. I have checked the USB function...
  4. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not recognised: I hope someone can help me please. I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I backup data with EaseUS Home to a WD Ultra Passport. When I plug in Passport to backup USB "F" the backup disc is there but drive "F" has a question mark against it. I have checked the USB function...
  5. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not recognised: I have a Cruzer Blade 32Gb memory stick. It is recognised and works on a Windows 10 computer but not a Windows 11 one.I have tried all the usual fixes, but it still does not appear on explorer. Fixes tried: Different port, Selective Suspend Disabled, Power Management USB Root...
  7. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not recognised: I have a Cruzer Blade 32Gb memory stick. It is recognised and works on a Windows 10 computer but not a Windows 11 one.I have tried all the usual fixes, but it still does not appear on explorer. Fixes tried: Different port, Selective Suspend Disabled, Power Management USB Root...
  8. usb not recognised

usb not recognised: I have a Samsung s6 phone when I plug it into my pc to transfer files it always says "USB is not recognized" I tried so many thing update drivers, reboot the pc, uninstall it from the device manager but nothing happens. so does anyone have any tips to help me....
  9. HP laserjet 5 drivers

HP laserjet 5 drivers: I have a new HP desktop all in one pavilion computer. Is there a way to keep my HP Laserjet 5 printer working? Thank you, Don https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-laserjet-5-drivers/20b9d6a9-591c-4b97-bed0-df9da2f0bb04
  10. Composite USB not right for USB3. HP laserjet not working!

Composite USB not right for USB3. HP laserjet not working!: The composite USB drive is not right for USB3??? Please help on the fix for this. My HP LaserJet stopped working after a win 10 update!!!...