Windows 10: HP printer Scan to Network Folder will NOT work unless my Win 10 PC has password for logon

Discus and support HP printer Scan to Network Folder will NOT work unless my Win 10 PC has password for logon in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My new home printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 supposedly in the line of succession to my old HP OJP 8500, which started to leak ink and is ready for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by glnzglnz, Nov 18, 2020.

1. glnzglnz Win User

HP printer Scan to Network Folder will NOT work unless my Win 10 PC has password for logon

My new home printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 supposedly in the line of succession to my old HP OJP 8500, which started to leak ink and is ready for the printer graveyard.

The HP OJP 9015 has a “Scan to Network Folder” feature which sets a “button” on the printer’s tiny screen to scan what’s in the feeder or on the glass and send a pdf copy to a designated folder on my home network – specifically to a target folder on my home Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC version 1909.

Note that the printer is initiating and pushing the scanned pdf to my PC on the network – the PC is not ordering and pulling the scan.

The target folder is fully Shared with Read-Write privileges to “Everyone” and “Network”, and with Security giving Everyone and Network Full Control. On my PC, Password-Protected Sharing is Off. <-- Please re-read this before continuing

However, the printer will not accept the designation of this network folder as a valid target unless I add a logon password to my Win 10 PC and add that password to the setting on the printer. The printer setup for this target folder will not accept a no-logon-password PC as the home of the target.

I don’t want a logon password on my home PC, and I really have tried a lot of stuff to try to get around this.

This is apparently a big problem with Win 10. For example, see this closed thread on these forums: < THIS LINK >

How can this be fixed?

IMPORTANT - "Independent Advisors" should NOT post here unless you have the precise answer to my actual question. If you post nonsense, I shall report you to the Moderator.

:)

glnzglnz, Nov 18, 2020
  2. glnz Win User

HP printer wants PC have logon password, or no Scan to Network Folder

|
    My new home printer is a new HP OfficeJet Pro 9015, supposedly in the line of succession to my 11-year old HP OJP 8500, which started to leak ink and is soon for the printer graveyard.

I have one annoying problem with the 9015. It has a “Scan to Network Folder” feature which sets a “button” on the printer’s tiny screen to scan what’s in the feeder or on the glass and send a pdf copy to a designated folder on my home network – specifically to a target folder on my home Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC (version 1909). Note that the printer is initiating and pushing the scanned pdf to my PC on the network – the PC is not ordering and pulling the scan.

The target folder is fully Shared with Read-Write privileges to “Everyone” and “Network”, and with Security giving Everyone and Network Full Control.

► However, the HP OJP 9015 printer will not accept the designation of this network folder as a valid target unless I add a logon password to my Win 10 PC and add that password to the setting on the printer. The printer setup for this target folder will not accept a no-logon-password PC as the home of the target. On my PC, Password-Protected Sharing is Off – the printer is very stubborn about this..

I don’t want a logon password on my home PC, and I really have tried a lot of stuff to try to get around this. Could this conceivably be a Firewall issue? Or anything else?

I’ve never added anything to my Firewall and I’m not sure how to do that.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

3. glnz Win User
    HP printer wants PC have logon password, or no Scan to Network Folder

Jacee - Interesting info, but I don't think my HP 9015 has any password currently - it is connected to my router and LAN by ethernet cable; its WiFi is off.
    From my PC's browser, I can access the printer's embedded web server (EWS) just by going to its IT address, which I set (static) at 192.168.1.246. I needed to approve a self-generated certificate the first time, but nothing since then.

I still have the problem that the HP's Scan to Network Folder will not work unless my PC has a logon password, which it has never had.

Please let me have your further thoughts.

Thanks.

4. Jacee Win User

HP printer Scan to Network Folder will NOT work unless my Win 10 PC has password for logon

Jacee, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

1. HP printer Scan to Network Folder will NOT work unless my Win 10 PC has password for logon - Similar Threads - printer Scan Network

2. PLEASE HELP ASAP My HP printer 1005 is not working with WIN 11 HP Scan to Application is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PLEASE HELP ASAP My HP printer 1005 is not working with WIN 11 HP Scan to Application is...: PLEASE HELP ASAP My HP printer 1005 is not working with WIN 11 HP Scan to Application is not working please Help Me "Please find attached error message" Needs Help...
  3. PLEASE HELP ASAP My HP printer 1005 is not working with WIN 11 HP Scan to Application is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PLEASE HELP ASAP My HP printer 1005 is not working with WIN 11 HP Scan to Application is...: PLEASE HELP ASAP My HP printer 1005 is not working with WIN 11 HP Scan to Application is not working please Help Me "Please find attached error message" Needs Help...
  4. my hp printer has stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my hp printer has stopped working: Hp 551 stopped working recently. It's going on all the other pcs here, not this one. I've uninstalled it, biffed the driver and started again repeatedly. Cant find Kb4557957 and kb 4560690 which is recommended to uninstal. What to do? Grateful for any ideas...
  5. HP printer wants PC have logon password, or no Scan to Network Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP printer wants PC have logon password, or no Scan to Network Folder: | My new home printer is a new HP OfficeJet Pro 9015, supposedly in the line of succession to my 11-year old HP OJP 8500, which started to leak ink and is soon for the printer graveyard. I have one annoying problem with the 9015. It has a Scan to Network Folder feature which...
  6. HP 8600 printer will not scan to network folder after updating to Win 10.

HP 8600 printer will not scan to network folder after updating to Win 10.: After purchasing a new computer with Win 10 I can not use my network scan folder. The Win 7 machine still works fine. When I setup the new network folderScan I get a Error message "cannot connect the server, or connection failed". Have done all updates drivers Firmware for...
  7. Scanning HP printer

Scanning HP printer: I need your help. Can you point me in the right direction? I want to scan my printer. It is HP. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scanning-hp-printer/3e8028e6-4e13-4b78-acf6-63e390cb696e
  8. SMB1 and Printer/Scanning to folder - win 10 any ver

SMB1 and Printer/Scanning to folder - win 10 any ver: Hi Gang, Thought I'd post, see what info may come forth from the great people here. I have one cleint (of several) who it seems has the need for SMB 1.0 in order for the network printer to be able to scan to a PC folder. I've tested with Kyocera and Konica Minolta's...
  9. scanning software for my HP printer

scanning software for my HP printer: How do I download scanning software for my HP printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scanning-software-for-my-hp-printer/1e029b2a-8643-42cf-b588-a0b15987e552
  10. My HP printer not scanning anymore

My HP printer not scanning anymore: My HP printer was scanning about a week ago. I didn't use it for a week now it says its not managing to the computer?? whats up with that? Joe Russo 37...