Windows 10: HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance

Discus and support HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just bought this computer for mother about 2 weeks ago. 1.) When logging into Windows after being waken up from sleep mode, it takes forever to load... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jesse Williams, May 4, 2021.

1. HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance

I just bought this computer for mother about 2 weeks ago. 1.) When logging into Windows after being waken up from sleep mode, it takes forever to load the login screen and it never shows that it is connected to the internet or anything else on the lock screen but emails. I had to turn it off manually earlier to get back into the desktop. It acts like if it's frozen up when this happens. 2.) The same happens in applications such as the Start Menu, Computer Settings, etc. as described above. Would a BIOS update or firmware update fix these issues as described above? Windows 10 Version 20H2

:)

Jesse Williams, May 4, 2021

2. HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance

Sometimes HP uses the most basic BIOS ( Esc, F10 or Del ) so there may not be an option to update it ( They don't want to encourage tinkering with the settings ) If this is the case, I would advise crossing the BIOS update off the list. Also, if you have 4GB of RAM, that could slow down sleep significantly. My recommendation would be for your mother to shut the computer down when not in use as this sounds like the fast current option.

farrellart, May 5, 2021
  3. HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance

It loads up fine. I wouldn't call it slow slow. But it's definitely not as fast as my computer which has an SSD and a HDD installed in it. I bought it for my mother. She really doesn't do much with it, but shop online, look at recipes, or look at her bank account. She mainly uses it for the internet. Her old Acer was getting old. This is a brand new one that is still under warranty. HP had me do a tune up on it through HP Support Assistant as well as drain the energy out of it by taking the power cord out in which they call doing a Hard Reset.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought it online at eBay. It was a good buy. It is still under warranty. It came from Delaware and was shipped to Alabama where I live. I like HP, so that is why I bought HP. It belongs to my mother as I bought it for her. HP did have me do some troubleshooting on it. I will keep you all posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I will keep that in mind about updating the BIOS in BIOS Settings only. But how do you update it in BIOS Settings? My guess would be to download the current BIOS to a flash drive and plug it into the computer that way.

Jesse Williams, May 5, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance

Hi there

@Jesse Williams

In over 30 years of using computers I've almost never had to update a BIOS -- Unless there's some very specific reason to do so e.g boot facility from a USB C type device enabled there's really no reason to do so if the machine supports the hardware you are using. The biggest bugbear to poor performance is generally really poor Disk I/O systems assuming the basic machine has enough RAM in it - these days should be 8GB.

If the machine doesn't have an SSD then Windows 10 will run very slow compared to it running on SSD. Old 2.5 inch laptop HDD's are usually very slow (5400 RPM) and have almost zero cache. Replace with SSD and the performance will be significantly enhanced however old the computer is. Also these days you will need a minimum 0f 8GB RAM - doesn't matter significantly if it's DDR3 or DDR4 (or if you can get it still these days DDR2 for laptops). These zonking fast memory things etc are usually meant for "Extreme Gamers" etc. A typical home user surfing internet, watching video, doing email and simple office type stuff won't see any difference whatever type of memory is installed.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1013: Slow performance - Similar Threads - Slim Desktop S01

2. Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC: Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-buy-an-external-dvd-cd-rom-for-a-hp-s01/08972ef9-3217-421c-93fb-8ad9f417475e
  3. Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC: Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-buy-an-external-dvd-cd-rom-for-a-hp-s01/08972ef9-3217-421c-93fb-8ad9f417475e
  4. Max RAM accepted for HP s01-af0014nf

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Max RAM accepted for HP s01-af0014nf: Hello, I have bought a HP Slim s01-af0014nf which comes with Windows 10 and 8 Go of RAM. I Just upgraded it to Windows 11 and I'd like to upgrade it to 16 Go but could find no information on the max accepted RAM on this computer. Could you please tell me if this is possible?...
  5. Max RAM accepted for HP s01-af0014nf

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Max RAM accepted for HP s01-af0014nf: Hello, I have bought a HP Slim s01-af0014nf which comes with Windows 10 and 8 Go of RAM. I Just upgraded it to Windows 11 and I'd like to upgrade it to 16 Go but could find no information on the max accepted RAM on this computer. Could you please tell me if this is possible?...
  6. Slow Performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Performance: My operating system is Windows 10 Home. I am experiencing slow performance and I think it may be due to the linkage to a Microsoft account. I have cleaned the PC and I am still experiencing slow start up performance. We have slow internet. I have unlinked the email; however,...
  7. HP Pavilion Desktop - Used for Photo Editing - Slow Performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HP Pavilion Desktop - Used for Photo Editing - Slow Performance: As you all know or some may not know, I don't know. But I use my HP Pavilion Desktop as my photo editing device. This computer has 16 GB of installed RAM (Memory), a 500 GB SSD for the Windows 10 OS, and a 1TB HDD for storage. It is supposed to have a lot of power with plenty...
  8. Slow performance except over Remote Desktop.

Slow performance except over Remote Desktop.: I switched to W10 about a year ago and upgraded my systems to SSDs. When I run an app, Solidworks for example, and right click on a feature to bring up a dialog it takes several seconds for the dialog to pop up. This should be virtually instantaneous and was OK under W7....
  9. Slow Performance

Slow Performance: So about two weeks ago, I updated the drivers on my computer, but had some issues with performance. I restored my computer to its original settings, because that's what the tech support told me to do. However I am still having performance issues. I've tried restarting,...
  10. Problem with my HP slim windows 10 desktop computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with my HP slim windows 10 desktop computer: My computer is not working correctly, up until about 2 weeks ago it ran like a champion , but for the past couple of weeks it'll either freeze , or the screen will go blackout on me ,or it inverts, goes sideways and then the only thing I can do is push the power button on the...