Windows 10: HUGE ask. Help creating the regfile to end all regfiles

Discus and support HUGE ask. Help creating the regfile to end all regfiles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yea, im old. kids have abused my psyche. I cant wrap my head around this one. I was working on this earlier today Code:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Mar 15, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

HUGE ask. Help creating the regfile to end all regfiles

Yea, im old. kids have abused my psyche. I cant wrap my head around this one.

I was working on this earlier today

Code:
    It works except it doesnt. It seems the command needs to be ran elevated. it appears this can be worked around by using the runas key, which would be a small adjustment to make (if that is in fact the case)

however, I want to take it one step further as this would clutter up my context menu with multiple entries surrounding the same area of operation so to speak.

@Brink had done some work for a fellow that is in the same vein of what im trying to accomplish here Add Reset Permissions to Context Menu in Windows

Im looking to have a context menu simply called Ownership that fly's out and includes the same Take Ownership we all know and love, followed by Restore Ownership which flies out into the two entries I indicated at the beginning of my post. Restore to SYSTEM and Restore to TrustedInstaller.

Where this becomes extra sketchy for me is the (assumed?) requirement of the runas key to get those restore ownership commands to work elevated. Unless theres another means? Either way this surpasses my rudimentary acumen at this point.

anyone able to bring my dream into a reality, or get those commands to run elevated without using runas and then I think I can slowly muscle something together by looking at examples? lol.

:)

klepp0906, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Ethelwulf Win User

Having the same problem - tried everything I can find

Well nothing is working for me I cant delete Files or folders and I didnot upgrade from any windows

tried steps 1 though 13 that did not work did the howtogeek regfile still no Luck

the only thing that is working is Unlocker Funny

Ethelwulf, Mar 15, 2020
  3. Mattew24 Win User
    Change the default action for .reg files

In Windows 10 when you right click on a ".reg" (registry) file the default action is "Merge" (in bold).

I would like to set "Edit" as the default action because in my opinion I brelieve that it's more safe.

In Windows XP I've used with success these keys:

1) set "Edit" as the default action

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]

""="edit"

2) restore "Merge" as the default action

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]

@=""

but I think that this method doesn't work in Windows 10.

Some help?

Mattew24, Mar 15, 2020
  4. HUGE ask. Help creating the regfile to end all regfiles

Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

Just solved this problem of the automatic unchecking of the show files option, which these other links did not fix by themselves.

You need to have the SETTINGS->PERSONALIZATION->Start->"Show Recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar set to ON!

Then the #12 regfile changes work (or just changed manually)

Hope this helps!

G._

GreggShort, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

HUGE ask. Help creating the regfile to end all regfiles

1. HUGE ask. Help creating the regfile to end all regfiles - Similar Threads - HUGE ask Help

2. asking help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    asking help: Why icon of pictures are not shown?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/asking-help/146f2cbb-146e-4898-b1b1-56416e25e72b
  3. asking help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    asking help: Why icon of pictures are not shown?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/asking-help/146f2cbb-146e-4898-b1b1-56416e25e72b
  4. Asking for help

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Asking for help: Hi! Recently I had reset my lap. Now I have some issues. First I can't open lockscreen settings in personalisation. It is just popping up and closing. "Directaccess log from %1!s!\\%2!s! -%3!s!" is showing after connected to wifi is also an issue....
  5. Asking for help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asking for help: Hi! Recently I had reset my lap. Now I have some issues. First I can't open lockscreen settings in personalisation. It is just popping up and closing. "Directaccess log from %1!s!\\%2!s! -%3!s!" is showing after connected to wifi is also an issue....
  6. Asking for help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. SysWOW64 is huge - help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SysWOW64 is huge - help!: Hi there,I wonder could someone help me please?!I’m running out of space fast on my C drive due to the following folder being 148 GB in size for some reason - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive so just wondering does anyone know why this...
  8. Please help everything is huge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help everything is huge: Everything is big and it wont let me change it the option to change the size of text, apps, and other items is greyed out :( I don’t know what to do... submitted by /u/SavPMA [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ioo7qt/please_help_everything_is_huge/
  9. ASKING HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ASKING HELP: Hey everyone i just got a new desktop pc and downloaded windows and i was wondering becouse i have a laptop with a license with my microsoft account connected can i activate my new one with my microsoft account? keep in mind im not that experienced with computers so i friend...
  10. didnt a meta "advanced power options" regfile exist at one point?

in Windows 10 Support
    didnt a meta "advanced power options" regfile exist at one point?: I could have sworn a comprehensive regfile including all the prominent advanced power options for the power advanced menu existed somewhere? I'm having little luck with google other than spatterings of one or the other here or there. Anyone know what im talking about, or...