Windows 10: Huge differenvce in D/L speeds on different PC's

Discus and support Huge differenvce in D/L speeds on different PC's in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Down in Florida for the winter. I had my cable activated with the same Motorola (SBG6580)wireless modem as last year. All 3 devices I use are the same,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pipepro, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Pipepro Win User

Huge differenvce in D/L speeds on different PC's

Down in Florida for the winter. I had my cable activated with the same Motorola (SBG6580)wireless modem as last year. All 3 devices I use are the same, Lenova laptop was Win 8.1 now Win 10, Network adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x....Gateway All in One was Win 7 now Win 10 Adapter is Ralink 802.11n LAN card... Surface Pro (no Problem wireless speeds at 55Mbps)
    I had the tech from Spectrum comeout and test the system, he got 71Mbps. The Gateway is hard wired and only getting 17Mbps on a Realtek Pcle and gets the same speeds on wireless. The Lenova is absolutely terrible on wireless, it is averaging about 5Mbps but will go to 11 if I play with the Lenova solution center software. Signal spikes also it isn't constant at all.
    Both the gateway and lenova didn't have any problems before coming down this year. I'm baffled. Drivers are up to date for all adapters.
    Wan Miniports created themselves out of the blue. I disabled all of them, I was going to take them out of the registry next.

:)

Pipepro, Jan 7, 2017
  2. rajenvyas Win User

Help me Nokia n80 gallery

hi there,

Why is it so important to backup my phone through the latest ver of pc suite ? here in my place the d/l speed is too slow so d/l pc suite is quite a cumbersome task.

rajen

rajenvyas, Jan 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - Extremely slow WIFI

I bought the laptop 3 weeks ago. I upgraded from 25 to 50 mps about a week and a half ago. I never tested the speed until I upgraded.

I tried:

802.11b/g/n) my d/l is 2.56 and u/l is 48.08 2nd laptop is d/l 24.85 u/l 24.50 cell phone d/l 45.14 u/l 47.96

802.11b/g - my d/l 18.07 and u/l 7.74 2nd laptop d/l 20.06 u/l 16.75 cell phone d/l 6.72 u/l 22.19

802.11n - my d/l 8.41 and u/l 31.79 2nd laptop d/l 33.17 u/l 15.17 cell phone d/l 17.42 u/l 16.80

I have a Dualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wiresess adaptor. The driver is the most recent, dated 8/23/16 ver 12.0.0.278.

I have an Acer Aspire. In the product description Acer says about the adapter, "Wi-Fi featuring MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz)" if that helps.

I have had the same low speed before and after updating the driver.

I do not have another network to connect to, there are no unsecure networks available to me and I do not know anyone nearby who would give me access to their network.

Wouldn't I have to open the laptop to install a new wireless adaptor? If so, I may as well return the computer, no?

Joanne Rose, Jan 7, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are using wireless, you will not always get accurate results. Wired is the best way to find out. Most likely it is the Gateway hardware or the laptop. Some of the Windows 10 drivers also have been known to mess up speedtest readings for Network adapters.

bro67, Jan 8, 2017
  5. Pipepro Win User
    I hard wired the laptop and still only got 11Mbps on my download speeds, while the cable is putting out over 70 Mbps. takes forever for some pages to load.

Pipepro, Jan 8, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    Just as a test you could check the advanced settings of your network card, (11Mb/s is one of the standard bandwidth options with Ethernet, Others are 54 Mb/s, 100 Mb/s and Gigabit). go into the advanced adapter settings and ensure that the bandwidth is set to as high a setting as possible and full duplex (actual setting name will vary with actual card ) If you are not sure of correct setting Auto Negotiate should select the best available option

Barman58, Jan 8, 2017
  7. Pipepro Win User
    I went to device manager clicked on properties then advanced tab and this is what I have to work with.
    Huge differenvce in D/L speeds on different PC's [​IMG]

Pipepro, Jan 8, 2017
  8. Barman58 Win User

Sorry for any confusion I was actually thinking of checking The Ethernet connection's settings, which appears to be set at 802b levels but a 11n connection on the wireless should be capable of speeds over 100Mb/s at a minimum

Barman58, Jan 8, 2017
  9. strollin Win User
    For the wireless issue, I would suggest trying a different channel as there may be some interference (such as a wireless phone) causing the slowdown. However, that has no bearing on the slowdown while wired. The only suggestion I have there is to try using a different cable. Are you using the same cable when testing on the different machines?

strollin, Jan 8, 2017
  10. Pipepro Win User
    yes, i'm using cables that I wired also, that could be the problem.

Pipepro, Jan 8, 2017
  11. While looking at Strollin's idea of changing channel, when you are in that setting page you can change the wireless networking mode from the default b/g/n to g/n or only N assuming all devices have a "N" radios.

You can also change the frequency to 40 Mhz, which, while it isn't very neighborly it will make your network quick. Looks like default is 20Mhz.

You can also check power output is at 100%.

If you decide to change settings in router then you can match settings on your adapter inside PC's.

Watch placement of router, should be near cordless phones, lights with transformers or other sources of electrical interference. If you have Android phone there are free wireless network tools like Wi-Fi Analyzer that allows you to see what is in happen in your environment. I use inSSIDer on laptop but I had too pay for it, use to be free.

I got your manual here...

Download Manual for the Motorola SBG6580

Caledon Ken, Jan 8, 2017
  12. Pipepro Win User
    Thank You for your help

Pipepro, Jan 9, 2017
  13. Huge differenvce in D/L speeds on different PC's

Sorry in my rush I said the router should be near certain things, the words should have been "should NOT be near". I have to slow down. (or get a keyboard with AI).

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2017
  14. Pipepro Win User
    I knew what you were saying thank you very much

Pipepro, Jan 9, 2017
  15. strollin Win User
    You marked the thread as solved. What was the solution?

strollin, Jan 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Huge differenvce in D/L speeds on different PC's - Similar Threads - Huge differenvce speeds

2. huge MBPS difference windows/Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    huge MBPS difference windows/Linux: under windows 11 i only get around 20 MBPS on downloads i.e. steam app, but under Linux via the steam app it average 180 MBPS that's a huge difference. what is slowing my internet down under windows? also the fans run much more and faster under windows.. this happens even...
  3. Huge D/L 290GB, U/L 20GB after startup. Suspicious?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Huge D/L 290GB, U/L 20GB after startup. Suspicious?: After turning on my Dell laptop G5 5500, 250G hard drive, Windows 10, it proceeded to download 290G and upload 20G of data over the next 2 hours via Google WiFi, according to the Home app on my mobile device, the only source for this kind of info of which I'm aware. I was not...
  4. Huge D/L 290GB, U/L 20GB after startup. Suspicious?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Huge D/L 290GB, U/L 20GB after startup. Suspicious?: After turning on my Dell laptop G5 5500, 250G hard drive, Windows 10, it proceeded to download 290G and upload 20G of data over the next 2 hours via Google WiFi, according to the Home app on my mobile device, the only source for this kind of info of which I'm aware. I was not...
  5. Huge D/L 290GB, U/L 20GB after startup. Suspicious?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Different D/L speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different D/L speeds: I've got two PC's connected to the same router with both connected via Ethernet cable. D/L speeds between the two are wide apart. I'd like to know what factors could influence this difference. PC#1 i7-9700K 3.6 ghz base 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM 802.11 Network card D/L speed...
  7. Wifi extenders - 2.4 and 5Ghz - huge speed difference

Wifi extenders - 2.4 and 5Ghz - huge speed difference: Hi folks just of note to anybody playing around with Wifi extenders and bog standard wifi cards in laptops Connecting by wifi to 2.4 GHZ band on the extender -- was only able to get laptop up to around 30 Mbps -- on the 5 GHZ it was up to 205 Mbps. Huge difference on bog...
  8. Scroll speed difference

in Windows 10 Support
    Scroll speed difference: Hope this is in the correct forum. On my laptop (i3, 12Gb, ssd) In MS Edge when srolling using the mouse the speed is fine. If I use the up/down arrows it's much slower. The hardware is Synaptecs Touchpad 7.5, HID keyboard device and i have the repeat speed set to short. It...
  9. since d/l Win 10 ... no Internet

since d/l Win 10 ... no Internet: After using Windows 7 for years, I was finally convinced to d/l Win 10. On my main computer, (this one) all is well now; initially Win 10 could not d/l updates, but I got that sorted. However my second conputer (Gigiabyte GA H61M S2PV, 4Gbram, i3 2nd gen processor) has not...
  10. How To Limit Win10 Update D/L Speed - Slow, NON-METERED Connection

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How To Limit Win10 Update D/L Speed - Slow, NON-METERED Connection: First, my apologies if this is discussed elsewhere or if this is being asked in the wrong sub-forum; I did a search and only found hits referring to a metered and/or WiFi connection, neither of which applies to me. I live in Costa Rica, and have only a (nominal) 2Mbps...