Windows 10: Huge memory use by Firefox with multiple tabs open, not shown tskmngr

Discus and support Huge memory use by Firefox with multiple tabs open, not shown tskmngr in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This has only happened since I upgraded to Windows 10. Previously on Windows 7 I never had any memory problems when running a high end video game,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ThereAllIsAchin, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Huge memory use by Firefox with multiple tabs open, not shown tskmngr

This has only happened since I upgraded to Windows 10. Previously on Windows 7 I never had any memory problems when running a high end video game, multiple web browsers on, and Firefox with multiple tabs open.

Ever since getting Windows 10, with Firefox on with multiple tabs, it shoots up to 97-99%. Despite this, it shows Firefox as using less than 800 mb of memory at the time (I have 16 GB RAM and a page file bigger than it has any business being).

The game can run up to average 4 to 8 GB memory at a time, and the memory use is never above 50-60%. Additionally, I tested having Firefox open with multiple tabs to eat up memory. It apparently did, then crashed, then the game's memory shot down to 2 GB, while the overall computer memory remained at 40% and in-game I went from an average 50 fps to 20 fps that persisted until I restarted the game.

The game is ARK Survival Evolved so it has its own memory leak problems, but I've never had it be this excessive. Nevertheless, I'm focused mainly on Firefox as being the main source of this huge memory use problem.

What should I do? I really do not want to have to do a clean install of windows 10, and reverting back to windows 7 sounds infinitely easier/more appealing at the moment.

my system stats are

intel i7 3770 cpu 3.40 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro)
    Nvidia GTX 780 video driver

:)

ThereAllIsAchin, Jul 17, 2016

2. Windows start menu not working or it freeze after certain time [Not working volume button, battery button, network/wifi button and notification sidebar too]

Hey there, Pritish

Sorry, completely missed that on my phone. When looking on the Task Manager, I see that its at 72% for memory. In my view, this high memory could be causing the issue with your start menu.

Try closing the programs that you are not using to see if this frees up the memory a little.

I also noticed, on some of your screen captures you have two Firefox showing on the list of tasks. Just wondering, do you have multiple tabs open, and are they on sites which have ads or videos that are trying to display?

This is because, your Firefox and Mail application/program seems to be using a lot of memory.

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jul 17, 2016
  3. Opera mini and UC browser problem

I've tried opera mini and UC browser in Asha 200. But I feel those browsers are inferior to opera 8.65 which i used in N70. Opera 8.65, though only four tabs could be opened simultaneously, the cache size was far better and large. In case of browsers for
    java mobiles like UC and Opera mini , multiple windows prove not at all efficient as the newly opened tab occupies the cache and previously opened tabs has to be reloaded. Such thing never happened in Opera 8.65. I need a good browser with multiple tabs option
    and also huge cache size.

jasonjassojimmy, Jul 17, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Huge memory use by Firefox with multiple tabs open, not shown tskmngr

Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory info.

LMiller7, Jul 17, 2016
  5. I couldn't get the memory above 80% when fully run, but it still demonstrates my problem

the first one is the one when firefox is running, the second when it is not.

It shows as less than 700 MB and about the same CPU usage (26-30%) as the game

ThereAllIsAchin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Huge memory use by Firefox with multiple tabs open, not shown tskmngr

1. Huge memory use by Firefox with multiple tabs open, not shown tskmngr - Similar Threads - Huge memory Firefox

2. Multiple Tabs Open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Tabs Open: When I have multiple tabs open in Chrome I can not go back to the tabs already opened. It happens with Edge as well. My computer is affected by this problem as well. I just got this computer yesterday. Device name DustinGrant Processor 13th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1335U 1.30 GHz...
  3. Multiple Tabs Open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Tabs Open: When I have multiple tabs open in Chrome I can not go back to the tabs already opened. It happens with Edge as well. My computer is affected by this problem as well. I just got this computer yesterday. Device name DustinGrant Processor 13th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1335U 1.30 GHz...
  4. Browser opens multiple tabs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browser opens multiple tabs: When I open google to access the internet, it opens with 3 tabs. All say the webpage was not found or is unavailable. I can enter a new address into any three of the search bars and access the internet. I have set my google preferences to only open the google search page upon...
  5. When multiple Firefox tabs are open, is there a way to rearrange the tabs on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When multiple Firefox tabs are open, is there a way to rearrange the tabs on the taskbar?: I have Firefox1, Firefox2, Firefox3, Word1, Word2, Edge1, Edge2 open in my taskbar bar. How can I get it to be: Firefox2, Word1, Firefox1, Firefox3, Edge1, etc. Right now when I try to move one Firefox tab it moves all the Firefox tabs. submitted by /u/aangsbison...
  6. BSOD When Running Multiple Netflix Tabs In FireFox?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD When Running Multiple Netflix Tabs In FireFox?: Hi I recently keep getting blue screen of death and I narrowed it down to when I run multiple netflix tabs opened then it freezes for a mini second and suddenly a bsod appears. I have tried DDU and reinstalling the graphic driver , sfc scannow. The BSOD error details is...
  7. Multiple Firefox browser tabs load

in Browsers and Email
    Multiple Firefox browser tabs load: *BiggrinRandomly when i`m using Outlook 365 or Firefox 62, numerous Firefox icons will run along the taskbar and vertically, and it`s quite difficult to stop and get rid of them, and most times i have to turn the computer off to start again. On the page it loads is "Try...
  8. Multiple Firefox browser tabs load

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Firefox browser tabs load: *BiggrinRandomly when i`m using Outlook 365 or Firefox 62, numerous Firefox icons will run along the taskbar and vertically, and it`s quite difficult to stop and get rid of them, and most times i have to turn the computer off to start again. On the page it loads is "Try...
  9. Firefox - Open in new tab

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - Open in new tab: Just noticed this... Using FF in this forum, Right click on a dropdown item (like Forum Actions, Quick Links) does not have an option to open in new tab, like Chrome for example. But, you can drag/drop the dropdown choice to the New Tab "+" on the open tabs bar, and it will...
  10. W10 opens seperate tab for firefox when opening with main firefox icon

in Browsers and Email
    W10 opens seperate tab for firefox when opening with main firefox icon: Hello, lately I've been having an issue where Windows will open a separate tab for Firefox when i open it with the original pinned icon on my task bar.. I've tried opening firefox and unpinning the pinned shortcut and pinning the opened one and restarting firefox and it...