Windows 10: Huge number of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) Event generates in DC but no...

Discus and support Huge number of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) Event generates in DC but no... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All, Can you please help me to find out the reason of following issue. In our domain after enabling audit we found that huge numbers(around 50k)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by debbasu, Aug 6, 2019.

1. debbasu Win User

Huge number of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) Event generates in DC but no...

Hi All,

Can you please help me to find out the reason of following issue.

In our domain after enabling audit we found that huge numbers(around 50k) of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) security failure events are generating in DCs. If any one can explain why this events are generating so frequently. However I found no account lockout has happened. One sample event is as follows.

"

Log Name: Security

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing

Date: 2019-08-05 09:40:05

Event ID: 4771

Task Category: Kerberos Authentication Service

Level: Information

Keywords: Audit Failure

User: N/A

Computer: DC.domain.com

Description:

Kerberos pre-authentication failed.

Account Information:

Security ID: domain\user

Account Name: user

Service Information:

Service Name: krbtgt/domain.com

Network Information:

Client Address: ::ffff:IP_address

Client Port: 57415

Additional Information:

Ticket Options: 0x40810010

Failure Code: 0x18

Pre-Authentication Type: 2

Certificate Information:

Certificate Issuer Name:

Certificate Serial Number:

Certificate Thumbprint:

Certificate information is only provided if a certificate was used for pre-authentication.

Pre-authentication types, ticket options and failure codes are defined in RFC 4120.
    If the ticket was malformed or damaged during transit and could not be decrypted, then many fields in this event might not be present.
    "

I can see that in few cases more than 100 events generated in 30 mins for one user. But no account lockout happened of that user because the failure code is 0x18.

I have checked that account lockout policy is also not satisfying for account unlocking. policy is as below.

Account Policies/Account Lockout Policy

Account lockout duration 0 minutes
    Account lockout threshold 10 invalid logon attempts
    Reset account lockout counter after 30 minutes

The reported users may use hand-held devices(certificate based) and can use multiple machines. I found the time difference between DC and End computers used by those affected users.

Please anyone can help me to investigate the root cause of huge numbers of logon failure/4771 events in our domain.

:)

debbasu, Aug 6, 2019

2. Kerberos Pre-Authentication error

Hi Patrick,

I recommend that you log in with the user account which has this issue on the different computer connected to the same Domain and check if it makes any difference.

I also recommend that you refer to the article: 4771(F): Kerberos pre-authentication failed for further information on this error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

Then I recommend that you post your query in TechNet forums, where the experts with knowledge on the issues connected with Domain computers can provide you with further assistance.

Greg Shapiro, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Error Kerberos Pre-Authentication failed on Windows 10 Domain computer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Since you have mentioned that you are facing this issue with a specific user account, I suggest you to login with the same user account on any other computer connected to the same Domain and check if you get the same error.

You can also refer the article
    4771(F): Kerberos pre-authentication failed
    for additional information on this error message.

However, since the computer is joined to a domain network, you can post your query in

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on issues with Domain computers.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 6, 2019
  4. Huge number of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) Event generates in DC but no...

Kerberos pre-authentication failed

I've been getting a bunch of failed logins Event ID 4771 to be more specific on both DCs and it's pointing to a users computer. I couldn't find what's causing these errors or how to fix it, the user is still able to use the account and it doesn't get locked
    out since it's set not too. Anybody have any insight on where to look?

devilwearsnada8, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

Huge number of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) Event generates in DC but no...

1. Huge number of Kerberos pre-authentication failed(4771) Event generates in DC but no... - Similar Threads - Huge number Kerberos

2. Kerberos pre-authentication failed.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Kerberos pre-authentication failed.: Kerberos pre-authentication failed.Account Information: Security ID: NIACL\33338 Account Name: 33338Service Information: Service Name: krbtgt/NIACL.CO.INNetwork Information: Client Address: ::ffff:10.54.1.188 Client Port: 50207Additional Information: Ticket Options:...
  3. Kerberos pre-authentication failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kerberos pre-authentication failed.: Kerberos pre-authentication failed.Account Information: Security ID: NIACL\33338 Account Name: 33338Service Information: Service Name: krbtgt/NIACL.CO.INNetwork Information: Client Address: ::ffff:10.54.1.188 Client Port: 50207Additional Information: Ticket Options:...
  4. Kerberos pre-authentication failed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple failed login request Kerberos pre-authentication failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple failed login request Kerberos pre-authentication failed.: Event ID: 4771 Log Name: SecuritySource: Microsoft-Windows-Security-AuditingDate: 16-02-2023 14:37:05Event ID: 4771Task Category: Kerberos Authentication ServiceLevel: InformationKeywords: Audit FailureUser: N/AComputer:...
  6. Security Log Failure Event ID 4771 Kerberos pre-authentication failed. Mapped Drives not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Log Failure Event ID 4771 Kerberos pre-authentication failed. Mapped Drives not...: I have someone with a laptop and desktop. Periodically mapped drives will not work. They have a green dot but you cannot expand the list of subfolders, see files, etc. This are DFS shares. If I sign in on the laptop as a different user, everything works. He told me the...
  7. Security Log Failure Event ID 4771 Kerberos pre-authentication failed. Mapped Drives not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Log Failure Event ID 4771 Kerberos pre-authentication failed. Mapped Drives not...: I have someone with a laptop and desktop. Periodically mapped drives will not work. They have a green dot but you cannot expand the list of subfolders, see files, etc. This are DFS shares. If I sign in on the laptop as a different user, everything works. He told me the...
  8. Security Log Failure Event ID 4771 Kerberos pre-authentication failed. Mapped Drives not...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Kerberos Pre-Authentication error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Kerberos Pre-Authentication error: I have a Windows 10 domain joined machine that keeps throwing up Kerberos pre-authentication every 20 minutes. It is a Surface Pro machine, I tried to clear Windows cashed credentials, then I scanned the computer. I managed to disable pre-authentication for the user via the...
  10. Windows 10 Kerberos pre-authentication failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Kerberos pre-authentication failed: Afternoon, We are having issues with a Windows 10 domain joined machine throwing up Kerberos pre-authentication failures every 15 mins or so, so after a few instances this causes the account to become locked out (the source IP of each event is the device itself) The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if we observed kerberos pre-authentication failed provide the reason