Windows 10: Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space

Discus and support Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my "temporary files" was taking up over 60 gb of storage. When I looked to see what i could delete, I could only delete like 10 gb, and that was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Zephos33, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space

So my "temporary files" was taking up over 60 gb of storage. When I looked to see what i could delete, I could only delete like 10 gb, and that was almost entirely from my downloads folder which has indie games and sound clips. There was 50 gigabytes i couldnt delete. So I ran treesize and found out that there were almost 9000 folders, each 20.1 megabytes or less, that were taking up all that storage. I deleted all of them, and my computer was instantly faster. But after using my computer for a few hours last night, theyre starting to come back. Right now theyre about 6 gb, but im sure they will grow. Theyre all called "event logs" and have a .evtx extension and dont have any meaningful names. How can i stop these from taking up all my space?

submitted by /u/Zephos33
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Zephos33, Aug 1, 2020

2. My windows 10 upgrade consumes all of it's drive c: space (50 GB)

• My windows 10 upgrade consumes all of it's drive c: space (50 GB)
    • I am unable to install the update,
    • I suspect the windows 10 need this much space and it is some kind of glitch,
    • Please suggest a way to free up some space as I don't prefer to format partition C:

letmeguess, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Konty_J Win User
    Temporary Files Continuously Eating Disc Space

Recently I got an error that kept popping up on my screen saying that windows could not install an update due to low disc space. When I clicked on the link attached to the notification it took me to a page that listed the types of storage that where occupying
    my disc and gave me cleanup options. Temporary files was taking up much of my disc space with roughly 42 GB dedicated to it. So I ran the cleanup tools on that and the other storage folders, this only freed up a few hundred MB. Since this was not enough I
    deleted some applications to free up space. This worked temporarily and I was able to use my computer. However, when I got on the next day I was out of space again, I took the same steps I had taken previously to make my laptop usable. When I got on today
    storage was full again and temporary files are now taking up over 78 GB of my 117 GB hard drive.

I have tried diagnosing the problem by looking through this forum. I tried searching for viruses but found no foreign files, I tried using all of Microsoft's build in disc cleaning programs but they are only a temporary fix that free up less that a Gigabyte,
    and I've tried direct commands to delete the temporary files on my computer. My recycling bin is empty.

I wish I could attach pictures but I cant take a screen shot with no place to store the image. If anyone thinks they know what to do and needs a specific picture I can try to free up some space to get one.

Konty_J, Aug 1, 2020
  4. DavidE Win User

Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space

Windows folder taking up way to much space.

Hello Wolfgang, hope you are doing well !

Is that 43 GB the Windows folder, or the Windows "C" partition ?
    I have a 15 GB Windows folder, in a 20 GB used space on a 70 GB Windows partition (approximate sizes).

This OS is an up to date RTM, not an insider.
    I don't have a lot of programs installed in W10, i'm trying to use W10 as "vanilla" as possible.
    I store user data on a different partition.

I'm just curious. *Tongue

Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space [​IMG]

DavidE, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space

1. Hundreds/Thousands of "temporary" folders taking up up to 50 gb of space - Similar Threads - Hundreds Thousands temporary

2. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  3. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space: So I've been having this issue where my windows system and reserved space is taking up way over 100+ GB of storage on my PC which is far from normal. I've tried a few things already and gotten nowhere. I even tried using the index options method and performed a restart along...
  4. System & Reserved taking up 100+ GB of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. damaged folder taking up space

damaged folder taking up space: things happen, and one of my folders is damaged. it says "the file cannot be accessed by system".i need to remove this folder because i know it is taking up some space that i need around 75gb.any help?...
  6. Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really

Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really: So if I go to my storage settings, it says that Temporary Files are taking up 12gb of space. However when I click on 'Temporary Files', it shows that my downloads take up 6gb of space and the rest take up about 500mb of space. What is taking up the remaining 4.5gb? I...
  7. Temporary Files taking up 72 GB

Temporary Files taking up 72 GB: Hey, My temp files in storage says it takes up 72GB. I can only delete 4 GB of them, how do I delete them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-files-taking-up-72-gb/3729e2d0-f5d1-4463-a224-f7ec9f65ea55
  8. 'Others' folder taking up space

'Others' folder taking up space: My others folder is taking up around 5GB space. I don't know how to free it. Need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/others-folder-taking-up-space/7a515088-401f-4bf1-b424-a8ce47ac36cb
  9. User taking up 50+ GB of storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User taking up 50+ GB of storage: So me and my dad has a computer togheter, but we are struggeling a bit with space on our C drive. The thing is, if I look at the storage sense tab, my user only takes up 15GB of space while my dads user takes up 52 GB. Is there a reason for this? submitted by /u/Arre27...
  10. Temporary files taking up to 124 gb of space and pc is'nt working.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Temporary files taking up to 124 gb of space and pc is'nt working.: Hello! As in title my pc started acting weird i can't open any microsoft apps neihter microsoft store. My pc is freezing from time ot time speacially when i try to look up settings on my pc. Then i checked my storage and temporary files are taking 124 gb of space and when i...