Windows 10: Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows

Discus and support Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I sent 3 different shutdown commands and 1 fails me which is needed for fast startup: Commands: shutdown.exe /t 0 /g shutdown.exe /t 0 /sg /f... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by xCONFLiCTiONx, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows

I sent 3 different shutdown commands and 1 fails me which is needed for fast startup:

Commands:

1. shutdown.exe /t 0 /g
    2. shutdown.exe /t 0 /sg /f
    3. shutdown.exe /t 0 /s /hybrid

What they do and did:

1. Reboot and automatically login and lock (working as intended)
    2. Shutdown and automatically login and lock on next startup (working as intended)
    3. Hybrid shutdown with fast startup. This is the one that locks up my PC at boot. It makes it to the first Windows Logo screen and just stops. I have to hit the reset button (same as hold power button down).

What I've tried:

• Recreate the hibernation file: powercfg.exe /hibernate off && powercfg.exe /hibernate on
    • Rebooted and trying to make a clean boot up.
    • Looked through Event Viewer but only find the event that the computer was forcefully shut off. (not really sure what to look for)

My Specs:
    Windows 10 x64 1903 - Build 18362.239

:)

xCONFLiCTiONx, Jul 24, 2019

2. Windows hang during restart before shutdown

Hello Joy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

From the description provided, I understand that Windows is unable to restart itself.

To be able to assist you better, let us know the model name of the Gateway laptop you are using.

Please follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to consider the following important points.

• Disconnect any external peripheral devices connected to the laptop as certain devices interfere during Windows during the shutdown.
    • Check for the latest updates in Windows 10 which helps the PC to make optimal use of Windows 10 capabilities as well as fixing any missing links in performance of the operating system.

Go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select
      Check for updates. If Windows Update says that your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

At times, computers hang or freeze when shutdown process is initiated, and the reason for this freezing nature is that Hybrid Shutdown is enabled by default. In Windows 10, Fast Startup is also known by
    Hybrid Shutdown because it is actually the combination of the shutdown and hibernation in the system.

Try to follow the below steps to disable the option.

• Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results
    • On the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does
    • If needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under
      Define power buttons and turn on password protection
    • From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck
      Turn on fast startup (recommended)
      checkbox to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
    • Click Save changes button to save the modified settings.
    • Close Power Options window when done.

Method 2

Boot the computer in safe mode with networking, and check if the issue still persist. This is a diagnostic step towards identifying and isolating causes related to the issue.

Safe Mode With Networking:

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using. Please follow the steps outlined in the below Help Article.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows

Once this is done, reboot the computer in normal mode and check.

If the issue does not occur in Safe mode, try to place the computer in a Clean Boot state and check if there are any third party application/software to be causing the issue.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts during Windows functions (shutdown process in this case).

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Write to with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 24, 2019
  3. Microsoft must review the Fast shutdows (hybrid shutdown) in Windows 10 Takes too much time shutdown

I heve been watching forums with people who are having problems with Windows 10 fast boot/shutdown ( hybrid shutdown) and I include myself, as a reported behavior seems to be constant, the devices... laptops, desktop PCs remain in a state of shutdown,
    they are hanging on the shutdown process and takes way too much time to shutdown.

In my case, my desktop PC with Windows 10 Home 64bits and enable fast boot/shutdown (hybrid shutdown) are little faster booting up, but when you shutdown the PC its turn off the screen fast but then stays on a long time with the lights on and fans running.
    the actually shuting down takes really long time.

But when I disable boot/shutdown fast (hybrid shutdown) PC turns off completely fast

Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez, Jul 24, 2019
  4. Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows

Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot

Hello everyone.

I'm writing this thread because I'm facing a behaviour of my computer I would like to change or fix, but I don't know how I should do any of these. The operating system I use is Windows 10 Home 1709 (Fall Creators Update). The undesired behaviour is that, despire fast boot being enabled in the energy options section of the Control Panel, my PC performs a traditional shutdown when told to shutdown via the Start Menu, which results in an undesirable, slow cold boot when turned back on. However, with previous versions of Windows 10 and even Windows 8/8.1, it worked as expected.

Am I sure I get the problem right? How do I know it performs a traditional, Windows 7-like shutdown instead of the desired one? I execute a PowerShell script with this code after logging in to check information about the boot process. Its result is 0x0, indicating that the system was started via cold boot. Fast boot, on its hand, would yield a result of 0x1. So I'd say something is wrong in the process.

Code:
    Code:
    Get-WinEvent -ProviderName Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-boot -MaxEvents 10 | Where-Object {$_.id -like "27"} pause
    Hiberation works fine, with no problem whatsoever, so it's not a problem of my hardware (powercfg /a reports that fast boot is available). Event Log doesn't show any error, warning or information I could see regarding any "fallback" during hybrid shutdown. Problems started happening shortly (some weeks?) after installing the Fall Creators Update, but I can't tell for sure if the update was the direct cause of it or not. I've tried the following items in order to fix it, with no success so far:

• Disabling hibernation (powercfg /h off), restarting the computer and enabling it back again (powercfg /h on).
    • Disabling fast boot, restarting the computer and enabling it back again.
    • sfc /scannow and dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Both completed with no corruption detected, and therefore no corruption fixed.
    • Checking any misconfigured Group Policies. There were none I could see responsible for this. I've tried to follow the instructions in here too regarding Group Policies, but I couldn't find any "Require use of fast startup" policy in there. Maybe this could be a problem? I enabled Group Policies in my edition of Windows 10 home by following these instructions, before this issue started happening.
    • Shutting down my PC using alternative means to Start Menu, like Alt + F4 on desktop and shutdown /s /hybrid /f /t 0.
    • Updating Intel(R) Management Engine Interface drivers using the Device manager (searching in Google revealed that this solved some problems related to misbehaving power state transitions for some users). Currently I'm using the driver version 11.0.5.1189, the latest Windows could find.
    • Resetting the configured power plans by running the powercfg -restoredefaultschemes command.

I'd like to add that, during shutdown, the desktop PC behaves a bit differently than it used to, when fast boot worked. When hibernating or doing hybrid shutdown, my computer turns off the screen some seconds (10 or so) before it turns itself off. With "traditional" shutdown, and now even if I try to use hybrid shutdown, the screen turns off almost at the same time as the computer does. That way I can conclude that Windows doesn't even bother trying to perform an hybrid shutdown, but the question is why? How can I fix it, so I can enjoy reduced boot times again, without having to manually log out and shutdown and tell the other computer users (I am the only administrator in the system, by the way, so they couldn't modify any setting regarding this AFAIK) to do the same? *Huh

I can provide any additional information, if necessary. Just ask for it.

Thanks in advance.

AlexTMjugador, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows

1. Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows - Similar Threads - Hybrid shutdown causing

2. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown: please please help me , my computer was just fine but lately it gets stuck on restart or turn off , sometimes it gets alot of time like more than 1 hour , sometimes i have to hard turn it off , i make sure to turn off Wifi before turning it off and i unplug it , please i just...
  3. Is this app causing my client's computer to hang?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this app causing my client's computer to hang?: Is the Flipboard app causing the computer to hang? It freezes at random intervals but has passed hardware tests and MS Windows is fine as well. Thank you.Faulting application name: backgroundTaskHost.exe, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x1d3a15e7Faulting module name:...
  4. Should I disable hybrid shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I disable hybrid shutdown ?: I have Windows 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016). I haven't done much reading on this but I do it on intuition. I always hibernate my laptop so that it starts up faster. In order for a better health of my laptop, once a week, I restart it. Whenever I shut down my laptop,...
  5. Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start back up

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start back up: The actual question: How can I find the log/error of what is causing this or what can I do to fix it. The issue: I sent 3 different shutdown commands (1 at a time per boot) and 1 fails me which is needed for fast startup: Commands: shutdown.exe /t 0 /g shutdown.exe /t 0...
  6. Computer Hangs at Startup After Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Hangs at Startup After Shutdown: My system "hangs" after I Shut Down and then start back up. It doesn't occur when I Restart the system. * It "Hangs " when it gets to the black screen with the blue Windows logo in the center. I've waited a half an hour and remained hung. The "round working dots (for lack...
  7. Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.: Recently I have observed that my system reboots after 1 sec when booting up. This happens only when I use Shutdown. I disabled the Fast Startup and now it boots correctly but very slow but that is predictable since it hybrid boot was disabled. I have windows 10 Home and...
  8. Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown: I know some people disable fast boot/hybrid shutdown but I tend to leave as much of Windows at default as possible (apart from system restore - why does MS disable that by default?!!!) anyway, I wonder if the hiberfil.sys file on shutdown gets rewritten from scratch on...
  9. Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot: Hello everyone. I'm writing this thread because I'm facing a behaviour of my computer I would like to change or fix, but I don't know how I should do any of these. The operating system I use is Windows 10 Home 1709 (Fall Creators Update). The undesired behaviour is that,...
  10. hybrid shutdown kernel size

in Windows 10 Support
    hybrid shutdown kernel size: hiberfil.sys size is fix. windows 10 hybrid shutdown save only kernel memory. But what is the amount of this memory? In task manager i read "Kernel WS" 1,400 MB. Do it is this? 39108