Windows 10: Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM)

Discus and support Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks recently I couldn't get some newer iso's from UUPDUMP to boot using RUFUS V 10 to create bootable usb sticks when these isos are HYBRID boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, May 19, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM)

Hi folks
    recently I couldn't get some newer iso's from UUPDUMP to boot using RUFUS V 10 to create bootable usb sticks when these isos are HYBRID boot (i.e they can boot either MBR or UEFI).

However changing the BIOS options to enabling UEFI boot (CSM module) as well as UEFI then it all worked OK -- I had CSM disabled previously but hadn't needed it so far.

Anybody know what this CSM thing is

It's an older MOBO which can also boot MBR (legacy) but the bios setup has to be entered and changed.

I don't see any problems on a more modern laptop

I thought the CSM module was only something to do with UEFI boot for Windows 7 but obviously I'm wrong

Any gurus here who can explain what it is.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 19, 2020

2. MBR to UEFI conversion

In addition to the good explanation that Greg provided, I would like to add a technical distinction:

The UEFI is akin to firmware while the MBR is a partitioning method. So you would compare the UEFI to the BIOS, and the MBR to the GPT. You wouldn't speak of converting MBR to UEFI.

I said that the UEFI is akin to firmware, because it's not really firmware. The BIOS really is firmware, because it resides on a chip on the motherboard. But the UEFI is programmable software that sits between the computer’s hardware and the operating
    system.

The only compelling reason to convert your hard drive from MBR to GPT is if you need to have more than 4 primary partitions on the drive. MBR is limited to 4 primary partitions. And then, since GPT can't be run from the BIOS, you would need to use the UEFI.

The UEFI has many technical improvements over the BIOS, to be sure, but considering the uncertainty inherent in converting old hardware, there isn't really a good reason to attempt converting from BIOS to UEFI other than the satisfaction in pulling off a
    complicated maneuver.

0dcafe6b-10a8-4bc9-b8b2-213ccfc2f28c, May 19, 2020
  3. 3oddbits Win User
    RX480 UEFI GOP Driver

Thanks.

I did save the OEM / Stock VBIOS to file.
    Did NOT flash the VBIOS.
    Do ya'll want a copy of the OEM / Stock VBIOS uploaded?

Further Problem info :
    EFI shell lists the UEFI GOP driver as loaded / connected.

Win 7 x64 Pro won't boot with out CSM Video Legacy set. x2 mode only.
    Win 10 x64 Pro will boot but stays in x2 mode in both CSM Legacy && UEFI mode.

3oddbits, May 19, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

He is talking about completely disabling the UEFI boot path, you can not do that on a UEFI BIOS.

Enabling CSM just adds the legacy boot path, it does not disable the UEFI path. He is not talking about just enabling the legacy path and installing Windows in BIOS mode. He wants to completely disable the UEFI boot path from within the BIOS, you can not do that. Even if Windows and Linux is installed using the legacy path, the UEFI path will still be active.

newtekie1, May 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM) - Similar Threads - Hybrid UEFI MBR

2. PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy: Hello!I want to install a game that requires for me to enable secure boot, which also requires for me to switch from CSM to UEFI, but doing so will either BSOD or take me to automatic repair. The system works just fine in CSM and the disc is GPT....
  3. PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy: Hello!I want to install a game that requires for me to enable secure boot, which also requires for me to switch from CSM to UEFI, but doing so will either BSOD or take me to automatic repair. The system works just fine in CSM and the disc is GPT....
  4. No Display after CSM/UEFI option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Display after CSM/UEFI option: Hello,I built a PC using an MSI motherboard and when attempting to play Valorant was told that Vanguard was out of compliance with the current system settings. Some quick research indicated that the solution to this was to turn off CSM in the system BIOS. I entered, turned...
  5. No Display after CSM/UEFI option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Display after CSM/UEFI option: Hello,I built a PC using an MSI motherboard and when attempting to play Valorant was told that Vanguard was out of compliance with the current system settings. Some quick research indicated that the solution to this was to turn off CSM in the system BIOS. I entered, turned...
  6. Stuck in UEFI loop if CSM is off

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in UEFI loop if CSM is off: I was reading on BIOS stuff cause my PC always boots to the wrong screen and a suggestion to turn CSM off fixed that but introduced a UEFI loop (every time it closes, it opens again instead of booting the system). I turned CSM back on in order to be able to boot but does...
  7. MBR to UEFI conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to UEFI conversion: When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and file size is 512 bytes....
  8. UEFI with CSM module Question

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with CSM module Question: Hi there Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver. In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or UEFI only --but under legacy mode I have the option to enable CSM module --- on the boot info it says this enables UEFI for...
  9. UEFI or MBR ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969
  10. MBR/UEFI issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...