Windows 10: Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase?

Discus and support Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New Acer A515-54-749U laptop has a Hynix 512G NVME drive. I want to clean it out before I reinstall an OS and from what I've read it's best to use an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by teckneeculler, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase?

New Acer A515-54-749U laptop has a Hynix 512G NVME drive.
    I want to clean it out before I reinstall an OS and from what I've read it's best to use an app that employs the voltage spike method (block erase?).
    Many of the NVME manufacturers seem to have created their own specialized software for this purpose - ie, Samsung Magician - but I don't know of anything made by Hynix.
    Would a generic app like Parted Magic do the job?

:)

teckneeculler, Dec 18, 2020
  2. petedread Win User

Secure Erase question.

I should have used Secure Erase before I sent my Asus board back but I didn't think about it at the time. I was wondering if using Drive Wipe in CCCleaner would achieve the same results as Secure Erase. Asus say that Secure Erase helps bring back some of the performance that can be lost over time on a SSD. Surely it isn't anything much different to the drive wipe function in CCCleaner? Will using CCleaner to wipe free space (not the complete drive) improve it's performance?

petedread, Dec 18, 2020
  3. simrick Win User
    Samsung Magician Secure Erase

This blog details the meticulous steps, trials & errors, one person took to attempt to securely erase and then verify a secure erasure of various SSD erase operations.
    Ways to Securely Erase a Solid State Drive (SSD) | Ray Woodcock's Latest
    It's quite a read, and really helps to understand what's going on, as well as a bit startling as to some of the results he saw. Some of the comments are also eye-opening.

I also learned that TRIM does not work on a USB-connected SSD.

simrick, Dec 18, 2020
  4. Dia01 Win User

Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase?

Securely erasing old SSD - Ubuntu

Very inexperienced with Linux and have been playing around lately with Ubuntu 17.10 successfully recovering data from a bad HDD, quite impressed by it also.

First question is. I have an old OCZ Vertex 3 120GB that has been lying around forever and want to wipe it to factory settings and install Ubuntu on it (so I don't need to run Windows side by side on my current OS drive). I'm assuming the easiest way to do this is to do the following?
    • Boot Ubuntu from USB installer
    • Select 'Try Ubuntu before you install it'
    • Open the Terminal and
    • Use the Command-line to Simple Secure Erase i.e. hdparm --security-erase PASS /dev/sdX
    My second question is, if the above will work do I then need to format the entire SSD in ext4 or does the installer by default format/partition the SSD when 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu' is selected?

Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase? 25d1eb9e8b23d55b-jpg.jpg

Dia01, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase?

1. Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase? - Similar Threads - Hynix 512G NVME

2. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Securely erasing a hard disc: Does Windows 10 have any functionality to securely erase a hard disc? I have a few external hard discs that I'd like to completely clean up before recyling. I've looked online a few times but I have yet to find an answer to this....
  3. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Securely erasing a hard disc: Does Windows 10 have any functionality to securely erase a hard disc? I have a few external hard discs that I'd like to completely clean up before recyling. I've looked online a few times but I have yet to find an answer to this....
  4. Windows 'secure erase' not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 'secure erase' not working.: I go into the recovery menu and click Reset this PC, everything works as it should up until the part when it should start erasing everything and then simply says that there was a problem restarting so it hasn't happened. I've tried using restoro, doesn't fix anything. and...
  5. Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hynix 512G NVME system drive: Which software to secure erase?: New Acer A515-54-749U laptop has a Hynix 512G NVME drive. I want to clean it out before I reinstall an OS and from what I've read it's best to use an app that employs the voltage spike method (block erase?). Many of the NVME manufacturers seem to have created their own...
  6. Restore System Image to new NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore System Image to new NVMe drive: Subject about says it all. After I get my PC and Win 10 to recognize the new drive will a basic System Restore to the new drive succeed? Old SSD and new NVMe both about 500 gig. About 175 gig free on old SSD. Thanks, Terry...
  7. Which software is that?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which software is that?: Hi, I really wish what is that software that is used in videos like this one below? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5mgJZrfQA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1l6XsQRuIsJ6E7oJu7TRwLXLhd-NGr6yUtCaVGuJW_acVyhlWCQ58_7B8 I'm hoping to know that white board's name, and hopefully...
  8. Bitlockered drive, secure erase some files and reuse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlockered drive, secure erase some files and reuse: Ok so this is all theoretical so far but maybe you guys can chime in. So i have a drive now thats bitlocker encrypted, but with only the used space. We soon get another identical drive and will setup raid0. Would the following work?: 1) Turn off bitlocker 2) Secure erase...
  9. DEVICE INBUILT SOFTWARE SECURITY SYSTEM.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DEVICE INBUILT SOFTWARE SECURITY SYSTEM.: Hi guys, i recently lost my laptop...tragic! But i have observed that it is an international crisis. I realized that even in the US people lose their laptops and shockingly never get it back! To me its just even more devastating having to live in a developing country. In all...
  10. Which software to install to secure my laptop ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Which software to install to secure my laptop ?: Hello, I installed on my laptop ( Windows 10 Home) following software : - Bitdefender Total Security 2017 - Iobit Advanced System Care Ultimate 10 - CCleaner Professional and - Malwarebytes Premium. Is this OK or too much or can one of the above, for example...