Windows 10: Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Discus and support Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows XP Mode is a free pre-installed virtual machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Harrison07, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10

How to: Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows XP Mode is a free pre-installed virtual machine running on Virtual PC in Windows 7. See the tutorial on our sister site Seven Forums: Windows XP Mode - Install and Setup - Windows 7 Help Forums

In this tutorial, I will show how to use Windows XP Mode virtual hard disk to create a virtual machine in Windows 10 using Hyper-V-

An archiving application which can open EXE archives is required. In this tutorial, I will use 7-Zip. Free download: 7-Zip

Notice that setting up Windows XP Mode virtual machine in Hyper-V, it will not be activated. If you have a valid XP product key, you can use it to activate the virtual machine.

Without activation, you can use Windows XP Mode virtual machine for 30 days.

Windows XP Mode is only available in US English.

Contents [/i] Click links to jump to any part

[table][tr][td]Part One:[/td] [td]Download Windows XP Mode[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Two:[/td] [td]Extract the VHD[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Three:[/td] [td]Add browser offline installer[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Four:[/td] [td]Setup a Hyper-V VM[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Five:[/td] [td]First Boot (OOBE)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Part One [/i] Download Windows XP Mode 1.1) Download Windows XP Mode package from Microsoft:

Download

1.2) Be sure to select the full version, highlighted in screenshot. The N version comes without Windows Media Features:

Part Two [/i] Extract the VHD 2.1) Right click the downloaded WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe file, select Properties, unblock the file (tutorial):

2.2) Open the Windows XP Mode EXE archive in 7-Zip:

2.3) In 7-Zip, browse to Sources folder of the archive, select file xpm, click Extract, select where you want to extract the file, click OK:

2.4) Browse to folder where you extracted the file xpm. Open it in 7-Zip:

2.5) In 7-Zip, select file VirtualXPVHD, click Extract, select where you want to extract the file, click OK:

2.6) The extracted VirtualXPVHD file is the Windows XP virtual hard disk. When extracted, it has no extension. We need to add the .vhd extension to it to make Windows to recognize it as a virtual hard disk file.

In File Explorer, browse to folder where you extracted the VHD. Select View tab in Explorer, select File name extensions, right click the VHD file, select Rename, add .vhd to end of file name:

Part Three [/i] Add browser offline installer 3.1) The default browser in XP Mode is Internet Explorer version 6. It is so outdated, that you might not be able to use it to download a more recent IE version, or any third party browser. It is recommended that you add an offline installer for a browser to XP VHD file before using it on a virtual machine, and install it when VM is booted first time.

3.2) Having difficulties to find out offline installer for old enough 32 bit version for Chrome and Firefox, I use Opera. Download the oldest possible Opera offline installer:

Download

3.3) At the moment of writing this, version 15.0.1147.130 is oldest listed on Opera archive, it works well in XP:

3.4) Unblock the downloaded installer, right click it and select Copy.

3.5) Right click the extracted VirtualXPVHD.vhd file, select Mount to open VHD in File Explorer. In my case now, the VHD was mounted as drive J:. Browse to folder Documents and Settings\All Users in mounted VHD, paste the downloaded browser offline installer:

3.6) A mounted VHD cannot be used on a virtual machine. Right click the VHD drive in File Explorer (This PC), and select Eject to dismount it:

Part Four [/i] Setup a Hyper-V VM 4.1) Create a new Generation 1 virtual machine in Hyper-V as told in Part Five in Hyper-V tutorial: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

4.2) Some tips for Windows XP VM:
    • XP works with 512 MB virtual RAM, but I recommend using 2 GB, no Dynamic Memory
    • Windows XP VM only supports two virtual processors, there's no need to add more
    • Using a Legacy Network Adapter as told in Hyper-V tutorial is important, network connection in Windows XP VM simply does not work using the default virtual network adapter
    4.3) When creating the VM in New Virtual Machine Wizard, instead of creating a new VHD, use your extracted and prepared WindowsXPVHD.vhd file as existing VHD in Connect Virtual Hard Disk page:

Part Five [/i] First Boot (OOBE) 5.1) First boot of your new Windows XP Mode VM goes through OOBE. First thing is, you must accept the license agreement.

5.2) The XP VM is in US English, default location USA, default input method US English keyboard, and default formats US (numbers, time and so on). If you are OK with these, click Next in Regional and Language options.

In my case, I wanted formats be UK English, location Finland, and input method to be my familiar Finnish keyboard layout. To change them, I click Customize:

5.3) In Regional Options tab, I can change formats and location:

5.4) Switching to Languages tab, I click Details to change input method:

5.4) I can now add Finnish keyboard:

... and make it default:

5.5) The XP Mode VM will be setup using the built-in administrator account (username Administrator). It is important to set up a password for it. This is done on the same OOBE page where you name the computer:

5.6) In next page, you can change the time zone:

5.7) OOBE continues. If you are shown some Found new hardware prompts, ignore them for now and click Cancel. Select if you want updates to be automatic or not:

5.8) Run the browser offline installer you added to VHD in step 3.5:

5.9) Browser installed, Opera in this example case:

That's it. You have now a working Windows XP virtual machine.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

Harrison07, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Vlad0 Win User

How to install Windows XP on Hyper-V virtual machine?

I have a very old program of the year 2005, which fails to run on windows 10, because very ancient help system.

In fact the program installs on windows 10, but help files of it did not work with the new version of WinHelp Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 :(

I've decided to create a Hyper-V virtual machine and install there Windows XP (service pack 3), which I got from

Microsoft site. I've created the virtual machine (named Windows XP) In Hyper-V manager (which came with Windows 10 Pro). But I failed to find any info of how one can install an OS on virtual machine. Now my virtual

machine runs only with command line interface.

My windows 10 is 64 bit, and comp has 8 gigabyte RAM. I would appreciate any help, permitting to install Windows XP, situated on one of partitions of my HDD, on the virtual machine.

Vlad0, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Hyper-v vs virtual xp in windows 7 professional

I think I was steered to this forum incorrectly, as the only topic listed below is Upgrade Reservation Please give me the correct forun to send this to.

I am currently running Windows 7 Pro, which enables you to run Virtual xp through Virtual computer.

I understand that windows 8 replaced virtual machine with something called Hyper-V, which apparently is what Windows 10 will do as well.

However, when I searched for information on Hyper-V, it seems that this program/software is meant only for windows server machines.

Can Hyper-V be installed on my own machine so that I can download virtual xp and run it exactly the same way I am currently running it with Windows 7 Pro?

Thanks,

Ron

Ronniegcgezc, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Hyper-v vs virtual xp in windows 7 professional

I think I was steered to this forum incorreclty, as the only topic listed below is Upgrade Reservation Please give me the correct forumn to send this to.

I am currently running Windows 7 Pro, which enables you to run Virtual xp through Virtual computer.

I understand that windows 8 replaced virtual machine with something called Hyper-V, which apparently is what Windows 10 will do as well.

However, when I searched for information on Hyper-V, it seems that this program/software is meant only for windows server machines.

Can Hyper-V be installed on my own machine so that I can download virtual xp and run it exactly the same way I am currently running it with Windows 7 Pro?

Thanks,

Ron

Ronniegcgezc, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Hyper-v vs virtual xp in windows 7 professional

Hyper-V was first introduced to client editions of Windows starting with Windows 8 Pro.

Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. Microsoft wanted to bundle Hyper-V with Windows 7 many years ago, but the development time never permitted that.

So they had to wait until Windows 8.

How
    to setup a virtual machine using Hyper-V

Please note your existing Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode will not work in Windows 10. You can review the following as a possible work around if you need to.

How to Run Windows XP for Free in Windows 8

Andre Da Costa, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Teylord Win User
    Run Windows XP mode in virtual machine

Original title: Hyper-V / XP Mode Virtual

To whom it may concern;

I have Hyper-V up and running in Windows 10. I created a virtual machine easily enough.

I want to run Windows XP Mode in this virtual machine in order to run an old software.

I have downloaded Windows XP Mode.exe from Microsoft site.

I created an ISO file from this Windows XP Mode.exe file and used this in the setup manager of Hyper-V.

When I click on "Connect" I get the following message:

Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 47bc47ab-2cd7-4886-ae8d-ac183f84e7da.png

Do I need to burn this file to a CD and use as a boot?

Teylord, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10

1. Hyper-V - Add Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hyper Add Mode

2. Xp installed as Virtual Machine using Hyper-V on Windows 10. Integration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Xp installed as Virtual Machine using Hyper-V on Windows 10. Integration problem: I Xp installed as Virtual Machine using Hyper-V on Windows 10. The internet is working now. I can't make Integration part working. Any tips are appreciated....
  3. Enabling audio on Hyper V virtual machine (Windows XP)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling audio on Hyper V virtual machine (Windows XP): To whom it may concern, When using a virtual machine, I find that some of my programs do not run due to a lack of audio. My Hyper V Manager is already set to 'use enhanced mode if available' by default. Since I want to get access to the aforementioned software, is there a...
  4. Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
  5. Delete Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Delete Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Delete Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
  6. Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
  7. Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
  8. Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine: How to: Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine How to Add or Remove a Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used...
  9. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
  10. Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows: How to: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 [img] Note There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. xp iso not working with hyper-v virtual machine