Windows 10: HYPER-V advantage over VMWARE when using physical HDD's

Discus and support HYPER-V advantage over VMWARE when using physical HDD's in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there one HUGE advantage using HYPER-V over VMWARE is that HYPER-V can use physical disks directly (provided they are attached in the VM as SCSI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V advantage over VMWARE when using physical HDD's

Hi there

one HUGE advantage using HYPER-V over VMWARE is that HYPER-V can use physical disks directly (provided they are attached in the VM as SCSI - @Kari - thanks for sorting that out for me !!). This means you don't need to recover / reformat anything as the HDD's can be used "As IS".

With VMWARE although you can attach "physical Hdd's" -- again in the vm config they need to be added as SCSI devices - VMware will use its own format even though the HDD's are presented as full HDD's in the VM.

Performance wise the HYPER-V VM is superior as the I/O on the VM with native Hdd's is handled by the GUEST VM whereas with VMware when using physical HDD's the I/O is at an extra level - the HOST handles the vmdk I/0 which intercepts the GUEST I/O of the physical HDD.

For a server this is important if using a server as a VM.

My main problem though with Windows as a HOST is that it's really difficult to get Windows to run completely headless -- not surprising as it's designed as a desktop OS. I don't want too pay an absolute fortune for the latest Windows server - and using the trial ones mean re-install every 180 days which is a pain. You can switch off things like automatic update (don't want that on a Server) but sometimes you get a windows HOST prompt which suspends everything until the reply is received so you can't disconnect monitor and keyboard completely. !!

However I'm really impressed with HYPER-V -- would be good if Ms came out with a minimal host - even without a GUI which could run HYPER-V - ideally the Host should be able to run Headless.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2016

2. Hyper V

Please Mississippi State IT student do not respond. The last of you that replied didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I will repeat my question. I opened Hyper-v and ran Fedora for about three days. I got a free copy of VMware. VMware and
    Hyper-v are not compatible. I have VMware for 30 days, I have Hyper-v forever. How do I disable Hyper-v so that VMware does not see it?

Robber_joey, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Cannot turn off Hyper V, cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMWare machines

Since the latest update:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Verion: 1607

OS Build: 14393.222

I can no longer turn off Hyper V and thus cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMware machines.

When I attempt to turn off Hyper V and restart Windows as requested, Windows simply re-enables Hyper V.

Then when I try to run a Virtual Box machine, I get an error like this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Centos 70.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:

Component:
    ConsoleWrap

Interface:
    IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

When I try to start a VMware machine, I get this:

VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Player.

But as I have noted, I am not able to turn off Hyper-V since the Anniversary Update.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Heaphey, Aug 1, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Another major plus I have found is that with hyper-v, when you attach an external drive, the external drive can be accessed from the host.

With vmware, the attached drive is seen as offline until you close or suspend the VM session. Additionally (unless there is a way I have not sussed), you cannot add the physical drive containing host OS.

Within a few days, I have become a "self-confessed" hyper-v fan, and much of the credit is due to Kari and Brink's kind assistance.

My next mission is to workout a way to convert vmmware vs to hyper-v, and keeping the digital licence active.

I have an idea.....

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Kari, Aug 1, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Can you run disk2vhd inside a vm - will be an interesting test.

I expect it to deactivate though due to mobi id but I will try RS1 activation tool. I have done between vms on vmware but between vmware vm anf hyper-v vm - that is going to be interesting.

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Yes, of course. When you have a vm up and running it's seen as any computer.

Kari, Aug 1, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Thanks - decided not to bother though as it is just quicker to clean install and reinstall the few apps I had.

Will report back on activation transfer between vmware and hyper-v

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think that VMware's VMware converter tool might work as well -- V2V conversion -- although be careful when setting up the target VM options.

I think though unless you have a real "Production type VM" running lots of applications and with several users on the system daily then IMO creating a brand new VM seems the way to do it.

USB seems better supported these days - although I can't get Minidisc recorder to work -- I still need an old fashioned "XP" system for that running on vmware -- I've got a separate machine for that purpose. I can't get the passthru to load the minidisc driver on the XP system on Hyper-V.

Note I'm still new to this so I'm not giving up --it's very useful to have some spare machines lying around for doing this type of testing !!! even if the hardware is "Donkey's years old".!!

However I really am liking HYPER-V -- takes a bit of a learning curve and you really need to decide seriously what you want your VM to do.

I'd still love it if a "cut down Windows Host" could be available -- windows 2012 server (Hyper-v 2012 server) looks a possible bet for a Host -- can't afford 2016 server unfortunately).

@cereberus -- Windows activation seems OK -- but remember to UNINSTALL VMWARE tools first if going from VMware guest Windows to Hyper-V -- Digital activation should still be OK if you install your Guest on the same machine you ran the VMware machine from.

I'm messing about with some Linux VM's so activation isn't an issue here. I tested a build of W10 pro (build 1511) x-64 and it activated OK though.

Hint -- For Virtual switches if using Wifi -- add a Virtual Ethernet adaptor to the VM --saves a whole slew of connectivity problems. Ethernet protocol just works !!. Wif1 is tempremental at best -- ethernet connections always just work. Avoid also the "legacy mode" for the adapter --=I wasted 2 hours with that before deleting and using the standard create vswitch.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    I can confirm you can transfer digital licences between vmware and hyper-v.

Having one strange issue.

When I set up a pro hyper-v, it was fine and enhanced sessions were fine.

I installed a 10 home 14393 iso, and no enhanced session even though I have checked it is set in hyper-v settings. Additionally I am not getting the config files in hyper-v\client\1.0. Installed it twice as gen 1 and gen 2.

Any ideas?

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    Hyper-V Enhanced Mode is based on Remote Desktop Protocol, requirements for the remote host (vm) being the same as in any remote desktop connection.

As only Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate & Enterprise, Windows 8 / 8.1 PRO & and Enterprise, and Windows 10 PRO, Education & Enterprise editions can act as remote host, and as Enhanced Mode requires Windows 8 or later desktop OS or Windows Server 2012 or later server OS, Enhanced Mode is not available in Windows 7 (all editions), Windows 8 / 8.1 Core, and Windows 10 Home edition virtual machines.

12. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - I worked this out myself in the end*Smile.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HYPER-V advantage over VMWARE when using physical HDD's - Similar Threads - HYPER advantage VMWARE

2. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...
  3. VMware WS and Hyper-V together

in Windows 10 News
    VMware WS and Hyper-V together: Check this. I expect this to be in VMware WS 16 and am looking for a Technical Preview - maybe early next year? https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...er/ba-p/825831 145917
  4. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have enabled Hyper-V previously and you are trying to install VMware or any other virtual machine creator, you may confront an error – VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Users face such an issue since Windows 10 [...] This post VMware...
  5. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  6. Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V

Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V: If I copy a file from C drive in a hyper-v install to a separate partition on the vhd, I get approx 100MB/s which is pretty much the maximum hdd speed that contains the vhd. However, when I copy a file to an external physical drive, it is very slow @ approx 5 MB/s. Any...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...
Tags: