Windows 10: HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

Discus and support HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and it has absolutely NO problem running Guests on VBOX, VMware, and HYPER-V (2nd level VM --very slow though !!) all concurrently as well as VM's on its own platform. OK if you do this you can only passthru hardware to specific VM's - but the normal paravirtualisation works so VM's will run concurrently. Linux kernel --5.4.13 Here's two W10 VMs running on KVM/QEMU and VMWare concurrently - no problems at all. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently [​IMG] So this must surely be a Windows issue rather than a VMware or Oracle (VBOX) problem -- I know VMWare is working to get this resolved in a new release -- that means though yet more expense !!! to something that already works on another platform. I wish Windows developers would concentrate more on these sorts of issues rather than messing about worrying what new icons look like and things like that. Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi Windows Gurus

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs.

I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and it has absolutely NO problem running Guests on VBOX, VMware, and HYPER-V (2nd level VM --very slow though !!) all concurrently as well as VM's on its own platform. OK if you do this you can only passthru hardware to specific VM's - but the normal paravirtualisation works so VM's will run concurrently.

Linux kernel --5.4.13

Here's two W10 VMs running on KVM/QEMU and VMWare concurrently - no problems at all.

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently [​IMG]

So this must surely be a Windows issue rather than a VMware or Oracle (VBOX) problem -- I know VMWare is working to get this resolved in a new release -- that means though yet more expense !!! to something that already works on another platform.

I wish Windows developers would concentrate more on these sorts of issues rather than messing about worrying what new icons look like and things like that.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
  3. lx07 Win User

The reason VBox works with Hyper-V role enabled is because they changed their program to make use of the Windows Hypervisor Platform API released in 1809. When VT-x is unavailable VBox will try to fallback to use the Hyper-V framework (a.k.a. NEM or Native Execution Manager). See VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Android Emulator has also been updated to use this but apparently VMWare hasn't yet although according to this blog they are developing it.

Comparing Hyper-V with KVM is difficult as they work differently. Whether it is a type 1 or type 2 (or even if such a distinction makes sense any more) is debatable. See Is KVM a type 1 or type 2 hypervisor?

4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @lx07

I see you use a Mac -- does Parallels work on that system OK or is it rubbish -- don't see too much about that.

BTW KVM can re-start VM's etc from re-boot of HOST

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently [​IMG]

(Thanks for the plus BTW)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently - Similar Threads - HYPER VMWare VBOX

2. Vbox hyper-v problemm проблема с hyperv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vbox hyper-v problemm проблема с hyperv: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is FALSE! Make sure you have enabled the 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature. VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE.если я даже виключал и включал hyper v і в настройках VT x включен все то всеравно не работает виртуальная машина...
  3. VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset: Hi folks Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty universal as the paravirtualised hardware works on most devices without issue -- i.e you can copy / move VM's more or less at will...
  4. Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX)

Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX): Hi folks Has anybody got 1920 X 1080 resolution to work on any "Sensible" --i.e commonly used Linux distros as a VM on a Windows Host whether VBOX, VMWare or even HYPER-V is used as the virtualisation software. Seems the problem is now most Linux modern distros are using...
  5. VMware WS and Hyper-V together

in Windows 10 News
    VMware WS and Hyper-V together: Check this. I expect this to be in VMware WS 16 and am looking for a Technical Preview - maybe early next year? https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...er/ba-p/825831 145917
  6. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...