Windows 10: HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine

Discus and support HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I'm trying to clone a W10 VM on to another machine. This new one has INTEL hardware - I've been doing most of my testing with an AMD box -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine

Hi there

I'm trying to clone a W10 VM on to another machine. This new one has INTEL hardware - I've been doing most of my testing with an AMD box - probably a lot of troubles I've had might be to do with the AMD hardware.

So I've got HYPER-V all set up - but I can't get "Import Virtual Machine" to work.

I did get a VM up and running by creating a NEW one but using " Use Existing Virtual Drive" which I copied to the new machine. That VM seemed identical to the old one so I'm not sure what "IMPORT VIRTUAL MACHINE" does or how it works.

Just curious -- I've solved the cloning process but I'd like to know what the IMPORT function does -- do I have to EXPORT a VM first.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014

2. Windows 10 Pro OEM Key Is actually Developer Key?

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear with my problem. The machine I was trying to activate the key on was a Hyper-V VM that was cloned from another Hyper-V VM, that's probably why I get that error code. But that's not the problem. I was able to activate the VM
    just fine with another OEM key that I have. My problem is NOT that the VM wouldn't activate, it's that one of the license keys that I tried to use is (according to the person I talked with through the Microsoft phone activation support number) a "developer"
    key, and not an OEM key (even though the package says it's OEM).

I would really like to actually get the OEM license key that I payed for, and not a "developer" key that I can't actually use. Is there any way I can get Microsoft to fix this?

JustinTeim, Oct 7, 2014
  3. Win 10 Virtual Machines

Win 10's VM client is IMHO better and it is called Hyper-v. You can of course create multiple Hyper-v machines after you upgrade.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 7, 2014
  4. HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine

Yes, export first.

Your use the vHD solution should work - all devices in the VM are virtual.

You don't need to, nor should you install real drivers in the VM - that's my take anyway.

An export seems just to be the a folder with Snapshots, Virtual Hard Disks, and Virtual Machines folders.
    The VM xml is all that's in the Virtual Machines folder, there is no folder of the same name as the xml file

Good luck and have fun!

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 7, 2014
  5. adamf Win User
    Alternatively you can create a new VM and add the VHD/VHDX later. Just skip the create disk and OS sections when you create the VM and then go and change the properties in the manager to point to whereever your disk is.

Mostly it will not work if you create a VHD in VMWare or VirtualBox and try to open it in Hyper-V though without a bit of buggering around. That is my experience anyway.

adamf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine

1. HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine - Similar Threads - HYPER Clone another

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Problem with VM on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with VM on Hyper-V: Good morning,after installing updates on windows server 2008 R2 it's a server to do some lab tests, I know the OS is obsolete, the VM working on Hyper-V starts normally and works but the screen remains black. How can I solve the problem?Looking online, the server in question...
  5. Problem with VM on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with VM on Hyper-V: Good morning,after installing updates on windows server 2008 R2 it's a server to do some lab tests, I know the OS is obsolete, the VM working on Hyper-V starts normally and works but the screen remains black. How can I solve the problem?Looking online, the server in question...
  6. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  7. Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.: Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder. Clicking OneDrive doesn't give a OneDrive folder. 111321
  8. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clone a vm and open as another user

2. i want to switch to clone vm when my orignal vm fails on hypoer v

3. what happens when you clone a vm and use it on another hyper visior