Windows 10: Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi

Discus and support Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a machine that is in a temporary location. The location makes it necessary to also temporarily connect using WiFi. As a result, I have a USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by hsehestedt, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi

I have a machine that is in a temporary location. The location makes it necessary to also temporarily connect using WiFi. As a result, I have a USB based WiFi 5 adapter connected to this machine. I'm moving large amounts of data to the machine but I'm getting an amazingly great 100MB+ per second over the WiFi connection.

I enabled Hyper-V on this system and my WiFi performance plummeted to around 30 to 35MB / sec. Just to make sure that is was really Hyper-V that was responsible for this, I uninstalled Hyper-V and my performance is back up to 100MB+ / sec.

Anyone know if such drastic drops in performance are expected or if there is any sort of "tuning" that can be done to alter this behavior?

System Details:

MSI X570-A Pro Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU
    32B RAM
    Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB SSD (Windows / Application Installation Disk)
    Western Digital WD100EMAZ 10TB HD (This is where all the data I am copying is being stored)
    WiFi Adapter: USB 3 Netgear Nighthawk A7000 (AC1900 WiFi 5 adapter)
    WiFi Router - ASUS RT-AX92U Router (WiFi 6)

EDIT: Forgot one important detail: This system is running Win 10 Pro 20H2

:)

hsehestedt, Nov 7, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi

I notice a large drop in network performance if I have an external switch set up in Hyper-V. I don't notice any performance decrease with an internal switch set up.

Internal Switch:

Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi [​IMG]

External Switch:

This test is done from the host.

NavyLCDR, Nov 7, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

One of my Hyper-V machines has 20H2. I use WiFi for all my machines, and can't say I've noticed the Hyper-V machines being significantly slower than those without.

So I tested the speed on the 20H2 machine with and without Hyper-V installed. For the test I copied the same file from my network storage each time. Yes, with Hyper-V it was a little slower, but not dramatically so - 130Mbps vs 150Mbps.

Hyper-V installed

Hyper-V unistalled

Bree, Nov 7, 2020
  4. Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi

I have a machine that is in a temporary location. The location makes it necessary to also temporarily connect using WiFi. As a result, I have a USB based WiFi 5 adapter connected to this machine. I'm moving large amounts of data to the machine but I'm getting an amazingly great 100MB+ per second over the WiFi connection.

I enabled Hyper-V on this system and my WiFi performance plummeted to around 30 to 35MB / sec. Just to make sure that is was really Hyper-V that was responsible for this, I uninstalled Hyper-V and my performance is back up to 100MB+ / sec.

Anyone know if such drastic drops in performance are expected or if there is any sort of "tuning" that can be done to alter this behavior?

System Details:

MSI X570-A Pro Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU
    32B RAM
    Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB SSD (Windows / Application Installation Disk)
    Western Digital WD100EMAZ 10TB HD (This is where all the data I am copying is being stored)
    WiFi Adapter: USB 3 Netgear Nighthawk A7000 (AC1900 WiFi 5 adapter)
    WiFi Router - ASUS RT-AX92U Router (WiFi 6)

EDIT: Forgot one important detail: This system is running Win 10 Pro 20H2

hsehestedt, Nov 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi - Similar Threads - Hyper Causes Extreme

2. Hyper-V causing network issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V causing network issues: Ok so I have a really specific issue that I couldn't seem to find a solution for. There is a bit of background so bear with me. I just built a new PC about a month ago and install Windows 10 pro on it. I connected my PC to the internet via ethernet connection. A couple of...
  3. Hyper-V performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V performance: Hi! I have a c++ application that calculates 100 factorial a million times. I ran it on windows host machine and it took a few milliseconds to get processed but if I run it on Oracle linux 7.3 Guest machine created through Hyper-V, it takes 40 seconds. Host machine:...
  4. Hyper-V host performance hit?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V host performance hit?: Hi, I'm wondering how much overhead/performance loss I'll have if I enable Hyper-V on my Surface Go. I have seen around on the internet that a lot of users especially in gaming have been seeing performance hits up to 30% performance loss. or up to 20-40 fps loss in gaming....
  5. Startup performance degradation...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup performance degradation...: There's an app on my system that causes startup performance degradation: [img] The file name in the event viewer is "Devic" and in details tab, the folder name displayed as "C:\Devic". This performance degradation does not happen every day and presumably, during the other...
  6. PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?: I've confirmed that my computer performance has degraded noticeably today, to be more specific losing about 30-40 fps in video games and I have no idea whats causing it. I haven't made any major changes that I can recall, and dont know how to exactly pin point what the issue...
  7. PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

in Windows 10 Support
    PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?: I've confirmed that my computer performance has degraded noticeably today, to be more specific losing about 30-40 fps in video games and I have no idea whats causing it. I haven't made any major changes that I can recall, and dont know how to exactly pin point what the issue...
  8. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  9. Hyper-V installation causes boot failure

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V installation causes boot failure: Hello all. James here. I'm trying to setup Hyper-V, using Kari's tutorial. After I select the modules, Windows installs them and asks for a reboot. I oblige and then the system loops. I have tried three times and have had to restore all three times. I have enabled Intel...
  10. Hyper V causing corrupted drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper V causing corrupted drive: I have a Server 2012 R2 machine with Hyper-V running on it. Have 2 virtual machines and had no issues with it. I recently ran a windows update on it and since then have been having issues. If I shut down the PC and swap out the boot drive with a drive that has Windows 10 on...