Windows 10: Hyper V causing corrupted drive

Discus and support Hyper V causing corrupted drive in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a Server 2012 R2 machine with Hyper-V running on it. Have 2 virtual machines and had no issues with it. I recently ran a windows update on it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by veldthui, Oct 25, 2016.

1. veldthui Win User

Hyper V causing corrupted drive

I have a Server 2012 R2 machine with Hyper-V running on it. Have 2 virtual machines and had no issues with it. I recently ran a windows update on it and since then have been having issues.
    If I shut down the PC and swap out the boot drive with a drive that has Windows 10 on it and reboot I get a message saying a drive is corrupt. Checking the partitions where the VM's and VM drives are they are usually corrupt and beyond use.

I tried a demo of Server 2016 and it does exactly the same thing. Previously this was working fine and I use it to do computer labs learning things like Exchange server and the likes.

I have even shut the VM's down and then powered down but the directory or files still end up corrupted.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Maybe MS are no longer shutting things down cleanly and expect to tidy things up when the machine reboots?

:)

veldthui, Oct 25, 2016
  2. UK Kid Win User

Windows 10 VDS fails to launch provider {CA7DE14F-5BC8-48FD-93DE-A19527B0459E}. Error code: 80072498@0200000C

Looks like I found the problem, Hyper-V. I had Hyper-V feature installed on the system for testing and it caused the issue. As soon as I uninstalled Hyper-V everything is working perfectly.

UK Kid, Oct 25, 2016
  3. Hyper V won't let my system enter sleep mode.

Hello,

I read somewhere on the net that hyper v was causing the issue of my laptop not being able to enter sleep mode. It did sleep fine before I enabled hyper v which leads me to believe that hyper v is the root cause. Is there a fix for this issue that I can't
    find or is it just something that has not been addressed by MS.

Thank you

rmadilobut, Oct 25, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I believe Windows 12 server allows a different file format than standard NTFS / FAT32 -- so check whether the disks allocated to your HYPER-V was formatted in a "W10 readable format".

Another possible solution --> re-boot server -- export the VM's to another HDD formatted with NTFS then re-boot W0 and import the VM's.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 25, 2016
  5. veldthui Win User
    The drive was formatted under Windows 10 as NTFS and is readable at the root directory. Just the VM directory shows as corrupted and can not access them. Same with the VHDx's. They are either gone or 0 size. So cant export them anyway. I did think it might be permissions thing but doesn't appear to be. I think it is something the Server 2012 is doing and then Windows 10 tries to fix it but kills all the files. The VM's have been set to save on machine shut down and the shutdown seems really fast compared to what it used to take.
    Maybe it is a fast shutdown thing? I might check on that tomorrow and turn it off if it is on in the power settings.

veldthui, Oct 25, 2016
  6. veldthui Win User
    Did some more investigation today. Started with empty folders and no VM's. Added a Server 2016 demo VM and took it through to it was able to be run and latest updated done on it. I then shut down the VM. Once that was done I shut down the Hyper V service to fully disconnect it. Checked and all folders were correct. VM and VHDx were in correct place.

Made a backup copy of each into a separate drive.

Shut down the PC and rebooted into Windows 10. Checked the VM folder and appears intact. Checked the VHDx folder and blank. Drive was gone or at least no visible. The drive usage appeared to indicate it was there but nothing. Ran a disk check over it and it said there were errors. Said it would fix them and after that I could not open the drive at all and had to reformat it.

I am thinking it is a permissions thing but I can see the copies I made fine. Copied the VHDx back to where it should be and when I get a bit more time will see it the VM still works.

veldthui, Oct 26, 2016
  7. veldthui Win User
    Did a few more tests today and something strange is going on. Added another VM making it two and updated the files on it. The server wanted an update as well so I updated that. Shut both VM's down and then shut the Hyper V service down. Checking the drives folder they were okay and the VM folder appeared okay as well. However running a checkdisk on the VM drive resulted in errors again and it required fixing. The fix was okay and the files appear okay.

Looks like something is not shutting down properly and leaving files open which corrupt the disk and need fixing and it must by the Hypervisor but I can't see why or how to fix it. It was running fine originally and now after an update it is doing this.

Very frustrating. Only way around it is to copy everything to another folder so there is a back up if it gets corrupted while shutting down. Defeats the purpose really. Might try a completely separate drive and see what that does.

veldthui, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper V causing corrupted drive - Similar Threads - Hyper causing corrupted

2. Enabling Hyper v causes a bsod

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enabling Hyper v causes a bsod: When I enable hyper v I get the bsod of death SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. some other details are that I also have bluestacks and vmware installed. I also have dmp files if you want to see them. Help is very much appreciated submitted by /u/Endlesserrors1 [link]...
  3. Hyper-V causing network issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V causing network issues: Ok so I have a really specific issue that I couldn't seem to find a solution for. There is a bit of background so bear with me. I just built a new PC about a month ago and install Windows 10 pro on it. I connected my PC to the internet via ethernet connection. A couple of...
  4. Enabling Hyper-V causes IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enabling Hyper-V causes IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: The very latest version of Windows 10 Pro and all updates as of 17th Oct 2018. Winver 1803 (OS Build 17134.345) Problem: Installing Hyper-V causes a BSOD at any random time. It doesn't need to be configured it doesn't need to have any VM running. Just installing Hyper-V...
  5. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  6. Hyper-V installation causes boot failure

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V installation causes boot failure: Hello all. James here. I'm trying to setup Hyper-V, using Kari's tutorial. After I select the modules, Windows installs them and asks for a reboot. I oblige and then the system loops. I have tried three times and have had to restore all three times. I have enabled Intel...
  7. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  8. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  9. Audio in hyper-v

Audio in hyper-v: So how do I get my headset which is usb to work in hyper-v? 5735
  10. Hyper-V & Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V & Win10: I decided to install Win10 in a Virtual Machine and settled on Hyper-V. I'm using the setup now to create this thread. There were a few hurdles to get over. 1) Hyper-V needed to be added to my Win8 install Program & Features-> Turn on Windows features->Hyper-V When...