Windows 10: Hyper-V Connection Lost

Discus and support Hyper-V Connection Lost in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by delstam, Aug 22, 2015.

1. delstam Win User

Hyper-V Connection Lost

I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm getting quite often is the following: "The connection was lost because another user connected to the virtual machine." There is no one else connected to it. After doing some research online, I discovered that others are also experiencing this issue. For what it's worth, Windows 8 is the host OS and one of the suggestions was to install the optional Windows update KB3071740, however that did not solve it. Has anyone found a workaround? It is frustrating not having the ability to run Windows 10 in enhanced mode in Hyper-V.

:)

delstam, Aug 22, 2015

2. Installed Latest Windows 10 Update this morning... Problems connecting to Network Share

This morning I upgraded my Windows 10 Pro to version 10.0.10586. This particular machine has 2 network cards and I run Hyper-V. After upgrading I lost all network connectivity. After some goofing around with Hyper-V I was able to set one NIC as the Hyper-V
    switch and the other NIC for the host machine. All Hyper-V machines seem to be working okay.

The problem I have now is, though I have network connectivity, I cannot connect to any of my network share drives. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a loss.

ScottGordy, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Hyper-V Connection Lost

Do you have a password set for the user of the account in the Windows 10 VM? If you don't then it will keep disconnecting you.

I had this problem last week and I'm sorry I can't find the link with the reason but my connections (through both RDP and console) are much better after adding one. They still time out but don't disconnect any more.

5. I had similar problem, got solved once I set VM user password.

Sivalingaamorth, Sep 24, 2015
  6. woodawoo Win User
    thx setting a password for the logon ID also solved the problem for me too

woodawoo, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Just for posterity and future readers of this thread:

Hyper-V Enhanced Mode is based on RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol). Remote desktop connections by default, including Hyper-V Enhanced Mode connections only work with accounts that have a password set.

If and when you do not want to set a password for the user account needed to sign in to a Hyper-V vm, you can't use Enhanced mode and need to switch to basic Virtual Machine Connection view (in vm window, open the View menu and unselect Enhanced Mode):

Hyper-V Connection Lost [​IMG]

Notice that when the password is set and Enhanced Mode used, you need to use password to sign in to your vm; You cannot sign in with PIN even when set. To sign in with PIN you have to exit the Enhanced Mode.

If you have multiple user accounts set up in your vm and you are signed in on an account with password in Enhanced Mode and you then switch user on that same vm to another account without a password, you need to stop Enhanced Mode and return to basic Virtual Machine Connection view. In other words, the Enhanced Mode can work with a user account on a vm but not work with another user account on that same vm depending on if the current sign-in account has a password set or not.

8. TRUNKSNEO Win User

Hyper-V Connection Lost

Same here, setting up password on the user solved the issue (silly issue if you ask me).
    Thanks for the tip *Wink

TRUNKSNEO, Feb 19, 2016
  9. FazzaGBR Win User
    I'm trying to use a Windows 10 VM to make a manual image via SCCM and SCCM requires that the account has no password set or it wont work! Madness! I've un-ticked Enhanced Mode on the View menu and all seems fine for now.

FazzaGBR, Mar 3, 2016
  10. xbliss Win User
    So it wont have disconnections without Enhanced mode?
    Kari - your thoughts/ experiences?
    Anyone else?

xbliss, Jul 24, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    This is very clear and simple:

• Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection normal mode
      • Can be used without issues (not disconnecting a running session) with a vm running any Windows desktop or server version as well as with any Linux version regardless of bit architecture
      • Sign in user account may but don't have to have a password set
    • Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection enhanced mode
      • Can be used without issues (not disconnecting a running session) with a vm running Windows 8 or later desktop version or Windows Server 2012 or later server version as well as CentOS 7 Linux or later and Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions
      • Enhanced Mode works with both bit versions of supported operating systems
      • Sign in user account must have a password set

12. Mystere Win User
    Actually, Enhanced mode does in fact work without a password. As in, it allows you to enter Enhanced mode, and login (which RDP alone doesn't allow you to do).

The problem appears to be that the VM client tries to re-open the non-enhanced session at the same time, which if you don't have a password set causes it to re-log you into the non-enhanced console automatically. This causes your Enhanced session to be terminated again, since Windows only allows one login at a time.

It didn't used to do this, this was something that started happening in recent versions.

Mystere, Jul 24, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

Hyper-V Connection Lost

I repeat: Hyper-V enhanced mode requires Windows sign in account to have a password set. You can get it occasionally work a while with an account with no password, but it just keeps disconnecting.

Stubbornly trying to use it without a password is waste of time when the solution is so incredibly simple: set up a password!

14. Mystere Win User
    Yes, but this is not the same issue as RDP without a password, which you stated in your original message.

RDP does not allow logging in if there is no password. The Enhanced mode problem seems to be a bug, they are two different issues.

Mystere, Jul 25, 2016
  15. Kari Win User
    Enhanced Mode IS fully based on RDP, build on it. Enhanced mode does not work with user account without password. It is not a bug, it has been like that as long as we've had Hyper-V in desktop versions of Windows.

Only difference in remote sign in process is that when Enhanced Mode is launched, there's already an existing connection from host to vm, system tries to use the sign-in info from that existing session to create RDP based remote desktop connection (a real no-difference remote desktop connection over vmbus) to remote host (virtual guest) waiting existing currently signed in user to enter the password.

User must be a local admin on guest OS (remote host), or belong to remote desktop users group. A standard user not in remote users group can in no circumstances use enhanced mode.

Hyper-V Connection Lost [​IMG]

When a user without password has been added to remote desktop users group, sign in most often works for a while, then Hyper-V starts disconnecting it. I can simply not understand why it is so difficult to understand that it will work perfectly when password is set and you sign in with local admin account.

Notice that OOBE must be done to use enhanced mode; if you boot to Audit Mode with built-in admin credentials before initial admin user is created, enhanced mode will never work. It will come available after OOBE is finished, a local admin created and user has signed in first time.

It most definitely is not a bug.

Thema:

Hyper-V Connection Lost

1. Hyper-V Connection Lost - Similar Threads - Hyper Connection Lost

2. Hyper-V Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Internet Connection: I have created a virtual Android machine with Hyper-V in Windows 10. I am however unable to establish any internet connection to the Android machine. Can I somehow create some virtual cable connection between the host and the Android VM as I did before with VirtualBox and how...
  3. HYPER V LOST

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HYPER V LOST: I HAVE WINDOW 10 HOME VERSION. IT USED TO HAVE HYPER V BUT AFTER THE UPDATE THE HYPER V IS MISSING FROM MY PC. BY WHICH I AM UNABLE TO PLAY GAMESS. PLEASE HELP MA FIX IT AS SONAS POSSIBLE AND MY TOURNAMENT IS GOING TO BE HELD SOON....
  4. Windows 10 Hyper-V network connectivity lost after a while

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Hyper-V network connectivity lost after a while: I'm using the latest Windows 10 Pro build, installed Hyper-V, created a VM (windows 10 as well), with the default switch. Once up and running, the VM got Windows updates, and eventually lost network connectivity with the host. I re-created the VM 3 times now and same thing,...
  5. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  6. Hyper-V no sound

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  7. Virtual program not connecting but shows in Hyper-V manager

Virtual program not connecting but shows in Hyper-V manager: I installed virtual XP on Win 10 Pro. When trying to open it in Hyper-V Manager it fails to connect even though it shows in the manager small box that it loaded XP and was ready for use. According to SystemInfo my AMD-Gigbyte computer supports all the requirements for...
  8. Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection

Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection: I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but is there any way to speed up my RDP connection to an openSUSE guest running locally under Hyper-V? I'm using a NAT vSwitch to provide it with both Internet and host connectivity and remote over the static IP is has on...
  9. Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly. Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers, connected to internet and...
  10. Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC

Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC: I just bought a new X201 laptop off ebay and wanted to use it to access my main PC (a MacBook also running Windows 10 Pro) through the Hyper-V Manager. That is to use the Hyper-V manager on the X201 to access not just the local PC but to start/stop and connect directly to the...
Tags: