Windows 10: Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

Discus and support Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; When I was at build 10074 I had Hyper-V working and the Virtual Machine (also at build 10130 but several days before the host upgraded) had LAN and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Johnfranzen, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

When I was at build 10074 I had Hyper-V working and the Virtual Machine (also at build 10130 but several days before the host upgraded)
    had LAN and internet access. After the upgrade to 10130 the VM can see the host on in the Network, but not the internet.

Network adn Sharing on the VM shows "Unidentified Network and Public Network". It shows two connections - Ethernet and Ethernet2. Access type is
    "No network access"

Network Connections shows two connections: Ethernet (Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adaptor) and Ethernet2 (also Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adaptor). Right click and display properties for both and they show all items checked except Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol. Status for both is IPv4 no network access, IPv6 no network access, Media Sate Enabled. The picture indicates that they are connected via a cable.

In Hyper-V if I select the Virtual Switch Manager it fails to load and the Vitual Machine Management Service is not available. I can close the Virtual Switch and re-start the Virtual Machine Management service. This of course kills my connection and I have to re-start the VM.

The host has no issues with the network or internet. In the Network Connections for the host there are four connections:

Ethernet (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Ciontroller) with everything checked except Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol adn Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch. Icon shows a cable.

Ethernet2 (Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver) with nothing checked except Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch. Icon shows a cable.

vEthernet (Fir) (Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter) with everything checked except Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol and Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch. Icon shows a cable.

Wi-Fi (Realtek RLT8188CD Wireless LAN 802.1 in PCI-NIC with this comment: This adapter is part of the Network Bridge. The icon shows wireless connection. This has to be connected or the VM has no access at all.

As an aside in Network Connections for the host, the right click closes the dialog and several other program. Clicking on an item displays a horiziontal menu that mimics the right-click menu. These buttons work.

So the question is: how do I get internet on my VM?

:)

Johnfranzen, Jun 11, 2015
  2. gaisuru Win User

Running Windows Phone 8 emulator on remote hyper-v server

I typically do my development in a VM running in a Windows 2012 Hyper-V Server. With the Windows Phone 8 SDK, the emulator runs in the local hyper-v install of the Windows 8 pro. That does not work if the main os is running in a hyper-v already. So my
    question is, can you change the default hyper-v server of the Windows Phone SDK to run on a different hyper-v installation (like one running on another computer)?

So for instance, the emulator would run off a my remote hyper-v server instead of the development vm it is installed on? If this capability is not allowed default, could someone (thinking of myself) create a plugin to allow for this configuration of the emulator?
    Just looking for some guidance as to how the emulator works.

gaisuru, Jun 11, 2015
  3. PMCmikem Win User
    Windows 10 Hyper-V PCI Passthrough

Does anyone know if you can pass a PCI device from the Host machine to a VM? I am using Windows 10 Hyper-V. I am trying to pass a PCI device to a windows 10 VM. Is this possible through the built-in Hyper-V manager in Windows 10. I read somewhere where
    Hyper-V in Server 2016 has a Discrete Device Assignment that allows this, but couldn't find anything on Windows 10 Hyper-V.

PMCmikem, Jun 11, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

Hi there

The best way would be to look through Kari's excellent tutorials on HYPER-V. Ithink he'll cover all your queries.

I don't use HYPER-V myself as I tend to run VM's on Linux Hosts but when I've tried the odd experiment using the tutorials it usually works.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2015
  5. Thank you. I seem to remember seeing that in my searches. I'll get a copy.

John

Johnfranzen, Jun 14, 2015
  6. Good tutorial but did not address my issue. I cannot use any of that because when I click on the Virtual Switch it 'load fails' and it stops the virtual Machine Management Services - so I cannot add/delete/eid the switch. The Create virtual Switch goes grey. This happens each time I try to edit the virtual switch.

I can close the switch dialog and start the service, but I clicking on the virtual switch manager again kills the virtual machine management service. Dead End.

Johnfranzen, Jun 21, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    Please open the PowerShell and give the following command:

Code: Get-NetAdapter | clip[/quote] This will copy a list of the status of all your network adapters including Hyper-V virtual switches to Clipboard. When done, paste the content of the Clipboard to a new post in this thread, pasting it to a Code box.

Let's start from that, checking your virtual switch situation.

8. Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

This will copy a list of the status of all your network adapters to Clipboard. When done, paste the content of the Clipboard to a new post in this thread, pasting it to a Code box.

Let's start from that, checking your virtual switch situation.

Kari[/quote] Code: Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed ---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- --------- vEthernet (fir internal) Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2 29 Up 00-15-5D-00-6A-13 10 Gbps Ethernet 2 Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexo... 10 Disabled 44-6D-57-E3-CF-2B 0 bps vEthernet (Fir) Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter 11 Disconnected 44-6D-57-E3-CF-2B 10 Gbps Ethernet Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 6 Up C8-9C-DC-F4-BC-47 1 Gbps Wi-Fi Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.1... 13 Up 44-6D-57-E3-CF-2B 72 Mbps[/quote] but this is what I get (on the host machine). the Vetherent(Fir) is my physical NIC. I can connect to the Wi-Fi (had to before the upgrade to 10130 in order to get the VM to see the Lan/Wan).

on the virtual machine I get:

Code: Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed ---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- --------- Ethernet 2 Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter 13 Disconnected 00-15-5D-00-6A-11 10 Gbps Ethernet Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter 2 Disconnected 00-15-5D-00-6A-10 10 Gbps Ethernet 3 Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter #4 12 Disconnected 00-15-5D-00-6A-12 10 Gbps[/quote] thanks for you help.

Johnfranzen, Jun 22, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    OK. The external virtual switch is disconnected. Open the Network and Sharing Center and make a screenshot, then click Change adapter settings on top left and make another screenshot, post screenshots here.

10. Kari Win User
  11. Johnfranzen, Jun 22, 2015
  12. Kari Win User
    OK, your host is not using the virtual switch, instead connecting to the network directly using the host NIC, therefore your virtual machines have no chance to connect, they simply do not find connection.

You told you have issues with the Virtual Switch Manager meaning we cannot use it to remove and recreate your switches, PowerShell has a bug in Build 10130 which makes it impossible to change the PS script execution policy so that's ruled out.

I am testing something on a test machine, I do not want to tell you a theory before I have tested it first. Might take an hour or so.

13. Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

Wow, thanks for the extra effort. I've been hoping Microsoft would come out with a bug fix to make the Virtual Switch work again. But so far...................

Out of curiosity I thought I'd try Virtual Box. It installed but will not run. So I removed the folders (did not get to program and features).

14. It looks to me as though you have Wi-Fi bridged to Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN
    I don't see the other parts of the bridge. This might be why Virtual Switch is failing.

It might just be a matter of removing the bridge from Wi-Fi, but see what Kari comes back with after he tests.

Slartybart, Jun 22, 2015
  15. thanks for the observation.

if that is the case, how to I remove the bridge? none of the four connections can be removed, just disabled. Have you noticed that you cannot right click on one of these items - doing so closed the dialog. I have to left click and then click on the choices that appear on a bar above the list. Strange behavior that started with 10130.

Thema:

Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

1. Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet - Similar Threads - Hyper does allow

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Hyper-V VM Internet/Ethernet Connection Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM Internet/Ethernet Connection Issues: Everyone, I currently have a Windows 11 Pro machine in which Hyper-V is being used to create a Windows 10 Home virtual machine. While the creation of the virtual machine was successful, I am having issues in two key areas: A: I cannot ping from the virtual machine to a device...
  5. Hyper-V VM is stuck on Identifying... No Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM is stuck on Identifying... No Internet: PC SPECS & INFO ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm on Windows 10 Pro using Wi-Fi not Ethernet Cable Build 1909 16 GB Ram VM INFO & ISSUE...
  6. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  7. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  8. Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.: Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder. Clicking OneDrive doesn't give a OneDrive folder. 111321
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. basics|theory hyper-v virtual ethernet adapter extensible virtual