Windows 10: Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Discus and support Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager? I am just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by KabyBlue, Dec 17, 2017.

1. KabyBlue Win User

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager?

I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the checkpoint -- until I manually remove them. Seems rather counterintuitive. Also, can anyone tell me what exactly are VMRS and VMXC files used for? I see them in my Virtual Machines folder.

Thnx

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files [​IMG]

:)

KabyBlue, Dec 17, 2017

2. Hyper-V Checkpoints - Resource Consumption

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

Please post your query in the TechNet forum for further assistance on the issue. IT Professionals on
    TechNet Forums are well equipped and will assist you better in resolving the issue you are currently facing.

Technet forums

Write to us for further assistance regarding any Windows related query, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Dec 17, 2017
  3. Ctrl-Z Win User
    Hyper-V Checkpoints - Resource Consumption

VM Host: Windows 10 Pro with 16GB of memory.

Guest OSs: Plan on 3 Windows Server 2012 R2 boxes and 1 Windows 10 Client.

Please notify me if I've posted this in the wrong forum and I'll remedy the problem.

I'm using the TLG (Test Lab Guide) for Windows Server 2012 R2 for Base Configuration to setup a base lab using Hyper-V for learning and testing purposes but I've hit a snag. The way I understand the document, the Introduction states that after setting up
    the first standard server and applying updates to it, I can create a snapshot of it to save time in setting up the other servers.

I read somewhere this morning that snapshots have been replaced with checkpoints. If I do this, will the checkpoint consume CPU and RAM resources when it's not in use?

I've done something similar to this using VirtualBox but it's been a while and I want to learn more about Hyper-V.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to do the checkpoint but I'm curious about a checkpoint consuming CPU and RAM while not in use. And I want to be sure that a checkpoint will allow me to "build" the next server using the checkpoint as a base - updates installed,
    etc.

I read about this last night while configuring a large number of Cisco devices and I want to make sure I wasn't distracted to the point that I misunderstood.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

John

Ctrl-Z, Dec 17, 2017
  4. GalaxyGe Win User

It certainly does delete them if you use PowerShell with administrator privileges. I've had issues with Hyper-V Manager myself, but didn't find out the reasons.

more discussion about checkpoints are here: Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10 Virtualization Tutorials

GalaxyGe, Dec 17, 2017
  5. KabyBlue Win User
    KabyBlue, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files - Similar Threads - Hyper doesn't delete

2. Hyper V Checkpoint Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Checkpoint Error: Hi,We are using Veeam to backup our Virtual machine and recently we moved VM's to another server ever since then we are not able to backup those VMs. I contacted Veeam support and they said it's a error related to Checkpoint since VMs is giving error when creating manual...
  3. Hyper V Checkpoint Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Checkpoint Error: Hi,We are using Veeam to backup our Virtual machine and recently we moved VM's to another server ever since then we are not able to backup those VMs. I contacted Veeam support and they said it's a error related to Checkpoint since VMs is giving error when creating manual...
  4. Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints: I've made a VM in Hyper-V for Windows 10 Enterprise. In the bottom right it says the license is valid for 90 days and I've created a checkpoint after I ran all the latest updates. My question: if it comes down to day 1, can I just restore the checkpoint and I'll be back up to...
  5. Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints: I've made a VM in Hyper-V for Windows 10 Enterprise. In the bottom right it says the license is valid for 90 days and I've created a checkpoint after I ran all the latest updates. My question: if it comes down to day 1, can I just restore the checkpoint and I'll be back up to...
  6. Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints

7. Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups: forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree" vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?and if not, what is the difference between them...
  8. Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups: forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree" vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?and if not, what is the difference between them...
  9. Can't show Checkpoint in Hyper-V manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't show Checkpoint in Hyper-V manager: I have created Checkpoint, but I can't find it in Hyper-V Manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-show-checkpoint-in-hyper-v-manager/2a810e7f-b92c-4642-907c-dea5e68e2ce5
  10. Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10: How to: Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10 How to Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10 [img] Note Checkpoint is a powerful Hyper-V feature to easily undo all changes on a virtual machine. You can play with virtual machines testing apps,...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete checkpoints in hyper v