Windows 10: Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues

Discus and support Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; On my Windows 10 Pro 18363 I have built 3 VM in Hyper-V 2 Windows 10 pro machines 1 Ubuntu At first, there was no issue at all, when starting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by conticreative, May 28, 2020.

1. Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues

On my Windows 10 Pro 18363 I have built 3 VM in Hyper-V
    2 Windows 10 pro machines
    1 Ubuntu

At first, there was no issue at all, when starting the machines I'd get the Enhanced Mode dialog box, I'd choose full screen and everything worked fine. I was able to use the VM for my purposes as if they were just another program on my computer.

More recently, things have gotten a bit crazy, possibly after the latest Windows 10 upgrade (early May 2020), mostly because the availability of "Enhanced Mode" is inconsistent for reasons I cannot discern. Meaning that on any of the 3 VM, enhanced mode may or may not be available in the drop down menu. When it's available, everything works fine, when it's not, it's greyed out and I basically end up with an 800x600 screen in the middle of a 32" screen.

One of my Win 10 VM makes Enhanced Mode (EM) available if I turn the machine on, shut it down and then turn it on again. Not always, but it seems to work more often than not.

My Ubuntu is a complete mystery.
    Occasionally in Ubuntu I have been able to make EM work, but only if Ubuntu showed me XRDP login first. Whenever I manage to boot Ubuntu into XRDP then Enhanced Mode works flawlessly.
    The problem is that I don't know what I am doing to make XRDP appear on screen. Most of the times I simply start UBUNTU and it shows me its regular login screen, I enter my password and then I am in the 800x600 nightmare.
    If I try to change the resolution, nothing is available even close to the resolution I need.

But sometimes, after restarting the Ubuntu VM several times, XRPD magically shows up and then EM is in the menu and I can use it without any issues. The ratio is about 10 to 1 as it mostly boots directly into Ubuntu, bypassing XRDP.

Incidentally, something similar happens with windows. If I start one specific VM, EM is greyed out and if I try to change screen resolution from the desktop, the available resolutions are all much smaller than my screen. If I restart, sometimes EM becomes available, but most of the times it doesn't.
    Here too, I cannot explain what I am doing differently when EM is available and works.

For the record, I isolated a few checkpoints on all machines, renaming those where I have the most luck, but this random behavior happens weather I am using the latest state available or one of the checkpoints I was able to start with EM turned on.

It's possible that in two of the VM the issue started happening after a VM OS update, because for a time I was able to revert to an earlier checkpoint and have steady access to EM, but that too has degenerated into randomness recently.

I tried the trick of turning EM off and then back on in the Server settings and that seemed to work, for a while. I can't tell if when it works is because of something I am doing or pure blind luck. Especially when XRDP is concerned.

I was thrilled when I made Hyper-V work, because it is snappier than Virtualbox or other VM I have used, but the screen size issues are just too much and now I am regretting going down this road. I have used VirtualBox for years with a fraction of the problems I am encountering in Hyper-V.

Thank you for any thoughts on this issue.

:)

conticreative, May 28, 2020
  2. Cliff S Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Well Martin I finally got around to giving it a try.
    And.....

If everyone just follows your instructions "step by step" exactly....
    it works perfectly!!!*Party

I now have 4k Ubuntu in Hyper-V
    Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues [​IMG]

ThanksHyper-V Enhanced Mode issues :)
    1080p
    (click to enlarge)

4K*Party*Party*Party(change to 200%)
    (click to enlarge)

Cliff S, May 28, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

That looks really cool. I am glad it worked ok. I had guide working for a pre-release of 18.04 but something changed on release version, and it fell over.

Others on github site had same issue and eventually a user posted a solution (commenting out two lines in install.sh) and I got guide working.

Interestingly, one of the guys there linked to my guide, presumably as it is more upto date than original 16.04 guide -LOL!

I also get that error message (partly hidden in second screen shot) but I dismiss it and nothing seems to be affected.

cereberus, May 28, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues

Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working

The RDP config file for a VM is only created when enhanced mode settings are saved. If user switches to enhanced mode without saving the settings, no RDP configuration file will be created.

To save configuration, first switch to enhanced mode:

Click Show Options:

Select Save my settings and click Connect:

In normal mode, resolution can be changed exactly as on physical machines, right click on desktop and select Display Settings.

When switching to enhanced mode on a VM with no configuration saved, use the slider in VM Connect window to set resolution:

Thema:

Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues

1. Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues - Similar Threads - Hyper Enhanced Mode

2. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  3. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  4. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive: Hello,is it possible to configure access control on the shared-drive which is "mounted" on Hyper-V machine on Windows 10 when enhanced session mode is used? This shared drive is mounted with administrative privileges by default and that means that users of Hyper-V machine...
  6. Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive: Hello,is it possible to configure access control on the shared-drive which is "mounted" on Hyper-V machine on Windows 10 when enhanced session mode is used? This shared drive is mounted with administrative privileges by default and that means that users of Hyper-V machine...
  7. Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode: Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the Ubuntu 19.04 templates from the "quick create" menu. This has the ability to access local...
  8. Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working: WIN 10 build 1809. Very strange problem. Hyper-V was working fine with enhanced sessions and then went south. Checked Hyper-v settings and both Server -- > Enhanced Session Mode Policy and User --> Enhanced Session Mode are checked. With new virtual machines there is no...
  9. A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V: Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhance mode in Hyper-V. EDIT: This is not working on release version! Something has changed. I see it has been reported - I guess we need to wait. Please guys, do not add any comments about Virtualbox or VMware being...
  10. Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and...