Windows 10: Hyper-V error: "Failed to change state" -

Discus and support Hyper-V error: "Failed to change state" - in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; How can I fix this. I have excellent backups. Is there something I need to restore besides the VHDX? Can I delete the AVHDX files? Thanks I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Donald Flanky, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Hyper-V error: "Failed to change state" -

How can I fix this. I have excellent backups. Is there something I need to restore besides the VHDX? Can I delete the AVHDX files? Thanks

I am running my Hyper-V host on a Windows 10 stand-alone PC.
    I created a Windows XP VM. It had been working fine for a long, long time.
    Recently, I can't start it. I get an error: "Failed to change state".
    I HAVE EXCELLENT BACKUPS... But I don't know which files to restore (or what to do). I tried restoring (only) the VHDX and that did not change anything.
    There are a few very old snapshots (which I don't care about)..
    An article I read led me to Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Hyper-V-Workers ->Admin led me to an error with this detail:
    'XP_HyperV_1': Failed to open attachment 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks\XP_HyperV_1_E48D84BB-35B7-4F0C-9C41-1F7C3D4760F7.avhdx'. Error: 'The chain of virtual hard disks is inaccessible. There was an error opening a virtual hard disk further up the chain.' (7864368). (Virtual machine ID 241E36C9-2724-4201-AEA2-942E87AB8E17)

Right now I am restoring, from backup, one VHDX file and one AVHDX which differ from what is in the Virtual Hard Disks folder now. (I'm restoring from a week back, when it still, I believe, worked). It didn't work.

WHAT OTHER FOLDERS or FILES MIGHT NEED TO BE RESTORED?
    CAN I DELETE ALL THE AVHDX files?
    One reason for this post is to learn about any other files I should restore.
    Thank you

:)

Donald Flanky, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Cybot Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machines Fail to Start and Initialize after Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1

yeah those and the ones in the link

still getting the could not start and failed to initialize errors.

I did happen to check the system requirements listed by M$ for hyper-v on windows 10 and it does not list any video requirements or say anything about remoteFX, which makes the error I am seeing confusing.

I also ran the systeminfo command while hyper-v was uninstalled, and the lines that needed to be true in order for hyper-v to work were all yes. my next step I suppose, is to go over to my mom's system and see if it will run hyper-v

Cybot, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Bulldog Win User
    Hyper-V Fails to Install on Windows 10 v.1909

Like the title says, Hyper-V fails to install on Windows 10 v.1909. [OS build 18363.592] It's a mystery to me, because I successfully installed and used Hyper-V on earlier versions of Windows.

Yes, I've got the necessary hardware and BIOS support (I successfully installed and used Hyper-V on earlier versions of Windows) and there are no other hypervisors currently installed. I disabled my anti-malware software (the same brand that I was using when I previously installed Hyper-V) and added the feature from an Administrators user account.

This may be a clue: Event Viewer only has one entry made at the time I tried to install Hyper-V, but it makes no sense (to me.) It's a 7043 Service Control Manager event that says the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Manager did not close following a pre-shutdown command, but I don't even have Hyper-V Virtual Machine Manager listed as a service.

If it matters (doubt it) the install failed at 98% and, of course, Windows rolled back any changes.

I'm open to any suggestions as to what I can try to get Hyper-V to install. Thanks for your help.

Bulldog, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Hyper-V error: "Failed to change state" -

Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Hyper-V error: "Failed to change state" -

1. Hyper-V error: "Failed to change state" - - Similar Threads - Hyper error Failed

2. Hyper-V Manager failed to change state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Manager failed to change state: I issued something seems to be a bug.I am running Linux virtual machine Ubuntu 20.04, and I got kernel-panic inside the machine literally called panic function.When I Power the machine off virtually, by the manager everything happen just fine.The problem happens when I try to...
  3. Hyper-V Manager failed to change state

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V Manager failed to change state: I issued something seems to be a bug.I am running Linux virtual machine Ubuntu 20.04, and I got kernel-panic inside the machine literally called panic function.When I Power the machine off virtually, by the manager everything happen just fine.The problem happens when I try to...
  4. Hyper-V Manager failed to change state

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hyper-V Fails to change state and start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Fails to change state and start: Hi all,I hope someone is able to assist me with an issue that I am having.We have got our DC Server which is slowly being phased out running in a Hyper-V in a Windows Server 2016 server.This server has been running without fault for approx. 4 months now, and then on Tuesday,...
  6. Hyper-V Fails to change state and start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Fails to change state and start: Hi all,I hope someone is able to assist me with an issue that I am having.We have got our DC Server which is slowly being phased out running in a Hyper-V in a Windows Server 2016 server.This server has been running without fault for approx. 4 months now, and then on Tuesday,...
  7. The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state – Hyper-V error

in Windows 10 News
    The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state – Hyper-V error: [ATTACH]While turning off a virtual machine in Hyper-V, if you are getting The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state error, here is how you can fix it. It appears when an action is running in the background, and you are clicking the Turn Off...
  8. Error: Hyper-V

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error: Hyper-V: A window show up one I clicked finished this what is says: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-hyper-v/1d057431-d7a6-40f5-96e5-747c14fcef4b
  9. Uninstall Hyper V failed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Uninstall Hyper V failed: Hi gurus, I am trying to uninstall Hyper V using Optionalfeatures.exe in Admin mode but failed with an error code 0x800f0831. When chasing the error, I tried manual removal Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V-All Having strong doubts...
  10. Hyper-V enabling failed with error code 0x800F0831

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V enabling failed with error code 0x800F0831: Hi , I'm trying to enable Hyper-V Management tools and Platform so the User can use Hyper-V manager but it failed with message " Windows couldn't complete the requested changes. Please reboot and try again. Error code 0x800F0831". I've rebooted the pc and checked the...