Windows 10: Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

Discus and support Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been running docker on my computer for weeks, but yesterday my Hyper-V installation broke and docker fails to start. My computer was shut-off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KeithFloresca, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

I've been running docker on my computer for weeks, but yesterday my Hyper-V installation broke and docker fails to start. My computer was shut-off the previous night unexpectedly, so that might have been the cause. After digging in further Hyper-V manager cant load the VM switch manager. The failed drivers seem to point to this isn't related to Docker at all as I've also completely uninstalled docker and am still getting errors. I can open Hyper-V Manager, but clicking on Virtual Switch Manager errors with "An error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches. The generic operation on computer 'XXX' failed: generic failure." I cant create VMs because VMSwitch is failing to start.

Event logs show the following

Warning (source Kernel-PnP): The driver \Driver\VMSP failed to load for the device ROOT\VMS_VSMP\0000.
    Error (source Hyper-V-VmSwitch): Failed to initialize VMSwitch driver due to error {Operation Failed}

Removing and re-adding Hyper-V features (Turn Windows features on and off) did not do anything

Tried the command and it did not resolve the issue: netcfg -d

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise 1809

:)

KeithFloresca, Jun 14, 2019

2. Hyper-V Broken after Feature Update

Hello,

Last night the "Feature Update" for Windows 10 installed on my workstation (while I was asleep) and this morning after the reboot, most of my Hyper-V VMs are no longer appearing in Hyper-V manager.

I've done some research and tried a number of different thing suggested on various forum posts and I can't seem to get even a fraction of my VM's back up and running again.

It looks like a reboot was forced without shutting down the VM's first which has somehow corrupted my environment. I'm seeing unusual behaviour such as:

a) I can re-import some VMs back into Hyper-V and they run fine.

b) Other VMs fail to import.

c) Some VMs import successfully but fail to start.

d) Most unusually, some VMs import successfully but after importing they are not shown in the list and they cause other completely separate VMs being removed from the list.

Has this update not only destroyed my machine but half of the virtual machines I've got running on it? Any advice on what I can do to recover?

Regards,

Keith

<Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup>

keithknight, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Junoob BT Win User
    Event 22:Hyper-V VMSWITCH/Event 27 i40eb Network Link is disconnected.

Hello Team,

I have Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V cluster role installed and I,m using network Team.

When the server starts I receive a error - - in system event log. Event 22:Hyper-V VMSWITCH&Event 27 i40eb Network Link is disconnected.

kindly help to fix the issue.

Junoob BT, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

1. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver? - Similar Threads - Hyper feature failing

2. Hyper-v fails to import VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-v fails to import VM: My Hyper-V storage drive broke down, have backups for that drive, so I have files for VMs. Replaced drive copied files from backup but Hyper-v manager doesn't see any VMs. Trying to import VMs from those files gets me error Unspecified error (0x8004005). Both Restore and...
  3. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  4. Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature

Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature: I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The Hyper-V Manager was configured OK...
  5. Hyper-V enabling failed with error code 0x800F0831

Hyper-V enabling failed with error code 0x800F0831: Hi , I'm trying to enable Hyper-V Management tools and Platform so the User can use Hyper-V manager but it failed with message " Windows couldn't complete the requested changes. Please reboot and try again. Error code 0x800F0831". I've rebooted the pc and checked the...
  6. Hyper V not available in "Windows Features"

Hyper V not available in "Windows Features": [img] Hi, I got the new Win10 Update from my former Win7. Now I want to activate Hyper-V to use Windows XP for the old game "Risk II". Unfortunately, the system doesn't show me the option "hyper-V" in the list where you can turn windows features on or off. What...
  7. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  8. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  9. Hyper-V Services Installed Despite Feature Being Disabled

Hyper-V Services Installed Despite Feature Being Disabled: Hi All, This is more of an exploratory question. I've just completed a clean fresh install of Windows 10. When checking over the services I noticed that the Hyper-V services were installed. They're all set to Manual trigger mode so they aren't running. I also haven't...
  10. Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V

Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V: Hello Everyone! Thank you a head of time for you time and efforts! THE QUESTION: How do I fix my display drivers in XP in my win10 Hyper-v virtual machine? WHAT HAPPENED: Installed XP in Hyper-V (Win10). For some reason now the display drivers are not installing....