Windows 10: Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

Discus and support Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been running docker on my computer for weeks, but yesterday my Hyper-V installation broke and docker fails to start. My computer was shut-off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KeithFloresca, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

I've been running docker on my computer for weeks, but yesterday my Hyper-V installation broke and docker fails to start. My computer was shut-off the previous night unexpectedly, so that might have been the cause. After digging in further Hyper-V manager cant load the VM switch manager. The failed drivers seem to point to this isn't related to Docker at all as I've also completely uninstalled docker and am still getting errors. I can open Hyper-V Manager, but clicking on Virtual Switch Manager errors with "An error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches. The generic operation on computer 'XXX' failed: generic failure." I cant create VMs because VMSwitch is failing to start.

Event logs show the following

Warning (source Kernel-PnP): The driver \Driver\VMSP failed to load for the device ROOT\VMS_VSMP\0000.
    Error (source Hyper-V-VmSwitch): Failed to initialize VMSwitch driver due to error {Operation Failed}

Removing and re-adding Hyper-V features (Turn Windows features on and off) did not do anything

Tried the command and it did not resolve the issue: netcfg -d

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise 1809

:)

KeithFloresca, Jun 14, 2019

2. Hyper-V Broken after Feature Update

Hello,

Last night the "Feature Update" for Windows 10 installed on my workstation (while I was asleep) and this morning after the reboot, most of my Hyper-V VMs are no longer appearing in Hyper-V manager.

I've done some research and tried a number of different thing suggested on various forum posts and I can't seem to get even a fraction of my VM's back up and running again.

It looks like a reboot was forced without shutting down the VM's first which has somehow corrupted my environment. I'm seeing unusual behaviour such as:

a) I can re-import some VMs back into Hyper-V and they run fine.

b) Other VMs fail to import.

c) Some VMs import successfully but fail to start.

d) Most unusually, some VMs import successfully but after importing they are not shown in the list and they cause other completely separate VMs being removed from the list.

Has this update not only destroyed my machine but half of the virtual machines I've got running on it? Any advice on what I can do to recover?

Regards,

Keith

<Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup>

keithknight, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Junoob BT Win User
    Event 22:Hyper-V VMSWITCH/Event 27 i40eb Network Link is disconnected.

Hello Team,

I have Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V cluster role installed and I,m using network Team.

When the server starts I receive a error - - in system event log. Event 22:Hyper-V VMSWITCH&Event 27 i40eb Network Link is disconnected.

kindly help to fix the issue.

Junoob BT, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

1. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver? - Similar Threads - Hyper feature failing

2. failed to register to hyper v driver ???????????????????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to register to hyper v driver ???????????????????: so iw as trying this emulator called lenovo on emulator but when i tried to install it it said failed to register to hyper v driver and i tried to search online and didnt find any answer. please help, i want to use the emulator!...
  3. failed to register to hyper v driver ???????????????????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to register to hyper v driver ???????????????????: so iw as trying this emulator called lenovo on emulator but when i tried to install it it said failed to register to hyper v driver and i tried to search online and didnt find any answer. please help, i want to use the emulator!...
  4. failed to register to hyper v driver ???????????????????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine: Before updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25905, the virtual machine has been in normal use, and after the recent update, it suddenly found that the normally shut down virtual machine cannot be turned on, and when trying to boot it will throw "Win10 virtual machine...
  6. Hyper V Fail to start Nestet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Fail to start Nestet: Hey,I'm trying to start my VM on Hyper V.After doing the command to define what RAM I need, also the Network adapter I need to learn At course CCNA, Windows server 2019 module I get this message : How do I Solve this?...
  7. Hyper V Fail to start Nestet

Hyper V Fail to start Nestet: Hey,I'm trying to start my VM on Hyper V.After doing the command to define what RAM I need, also the Network adapter I need to learn At course CCNA, Windows server 2019 module I get this message : How do I Solve this?...
  8. Hyper-V Fails to change state and start

Hyper-V Fails to change state and start: Hi all,I hope someone is able to assist me with an issue that I am having.We have got our DC Server which is slowly being phased out running in a Hyper-V in a Windows Server 2016 server.This server has been running without fault for approx. 4 months now, and then on Tuesday,...
  9. Loads of Hyper-V-VMSwitch entries in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Loads of Hyper-V-VMSwitch entries in Event Viewer: Hi everyone and Happy Easter, I have been doing some routine maintenance and while in Event Viewer I have noticed a lot of Hyper-V-VMSwitch entries ( 37 to be precise when Windows loads - ver 19042.867 ), I used to have Hyper V enabled a while back ( over a year ago ) and I...
  10. Hyper-v feature

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hyper-v feature: Hello, I am using Hyper-v to create virtual machines windows/linux for testing I did enroled to a class and we have to use virtualBox to import ready machines *.ovf files for our training and labs. I did disable Hyper-v feature in my windows but all Hyper-v network...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. failed to initialize vmswitch driver due to error {operation failed}

2. hyper-v failed to initialize vmswitch driver due to error

3. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch looks like a broken driver?

4. the driver \driver\vmsp failed to load for the device root\vms_vsmp\0000