Windows 10: Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking

Discus and support Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks might be simple answer but I'm not so experienced in HYPER-V. Created a Gen 2 W11 machine (the leaked iso version) on W10 HOST which seems OK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 27, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking

Hi folks might be simple answer but I'm not so experienced in HYPER-V. Created a Gen 2 W11 machine (the leaked iso version) on W10 HOST which seems OK -- I wanted to test TPM and secure boot enabled while not actually enabling the physical TPM. The TPM test was fine. That went OK but I cannot connect the VM to either its HOST (Windows 10) or anything else on the LAN -- I disabled firewall, and enabled SMB1 plus turned on Network discovery and enabled "allow remote connections to this computer". Internet access from the VM is OK but I can't get any other connections. I can't delete the "Default switch" which obviously has some weird NAT address. I need to probably force network through external switch (LAN nic) . The bonkers thing is that access FROM the HOST is OK !!!!!! but doesn't work at all from within the VM. Any ideas. Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 27, 2021

2. Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10

Hi,

I'm performing initial testing with Hyper-V on an Hp DL360 gen 10 server. The first ethernet port is in use by the main Win 2016 OS installed on the server. I'd like to use one of the 3 available ethernet ports to act as the network/internet connect for
    the Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It will sit on the same VLAN as the main server connection and the Ip address in Hyper-V will be a static IP address.

I've been walking through the Hyper V instructions to set up a virtual switch using the selected port, but havent' been successful in setting the network in the VM as desired. In Virtual switch manager, i created a new swtich and de-selected the option
    for "Allow management operating system to share the network adapter. However, I've been unable to get a network connection in the VM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

kevinmmscommunity, Jun 27, 2021
  3. AP113BY Win User
    Hyper-V gen 2 keyboard not working?!

I'm trying to restore a Windows Server backup full server backup of a domain controller to a test Private Hyper-V network, i have the full backup available on the test network share, and created a Generation 2 virtual machine (As the server is EFI/UEFI).

I boot up the Windows server 2012 R2 install ISO and hit "Repair your computer" option to get into the recovery mode. I click the command prompt option so I can set the IP address and enable the admin account (as there's no DHCP available on the private
    Hyper-V network) and when trying to type in there or in the recovery wizard, nothing happens, the keyboard is not sending key inputs to the VM as it would/does on a Gen 1 VM.

Thanks.

AP113BY, Jun 27, 2021
  4. Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking

Hyper-V networking

Windows 10 Pro, Build 10586.71. Hyper-V installed. All was working well, and then I got a chipset update from Dell. Installed the update and rebooted computer. After that networking was not working correctly, windows showed limited connectivity. I looked
    a little to roll back the driver update, but Windows did not show a new Nic card driver and the chipsets I looked at also did not show a current date. The Dell Command update program does not provide a way to uninstall updates.

I tried to access hyper-v switch manager but it returns an error that "an error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches". Also tried using the powershell cmdlet but got a general error.

I accessed the networking center and deleted the Hyper V adapter, then edited my LAN card's config disabling the two Hyper V protocols and enabling the rest. This let me get back on-line with my computer. I have tried uninstalling the Hyper V feature,
    reboot, reinstall - but I am still unable to access the switch manager. I then removed the feature again, re-named the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V directory, rebooted, added the feature again. This time (obviously) none of my VM's show up but
    I'm still unable to access the switch manager.

There is no critical data in my Hyper V, I use it for testing, re-creating issues, learning, etc. Is there a way for Windows 10 (or something designed for server 2012 that will apply) that I can use to fully reset the Hyper v networking, or fully rest all
    of hyper v so I can get it working again? I do use the workstation heavily, it's my work computer so it would be very difficult to impossible to reinstall the OS.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Matthew.Hart.TMG, Jun 27, 2021
Thema:

Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking

1. Hyper-V Gen 2 and Networking - Similar Threads - Hyper Gen Networking

2. Hyper V Networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Networking: Hello I am trying to get my 6 different VLANS to communicate with each other on the same Hyper V Host.In fact my networking skills are very rusty and i am looking for some help and guidance.The below is my setup:i have a Managed Switch with VLANs with an uplink from the...
  3. Hyper V Networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Networking: Hello I am trying to get my 6 different VLANS to communicate with each other on the same Hyper V Host.In fact my networking skills are very rusty and i am looking for some help and guidance.The below is my setup:i have a Managed Switch with VLANs with an uplink from the...
  4. Hyper-V Network Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Network Error: I learned how to Configure the Switch manager from a video and I believe that I configured it right[ATTACH], then this happened " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-network-error/4c053985-9253-42a6-8e7a-5d14acce148d
  5. Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10: Hi, I'm performing initial testing with Hyper-V on an Hp DL360 gen 10 server. The first ethernet port is in use by the main Win 2016 OS installed on the server. I'd like to use one of the 3 available ethernet ports to act as the network/internet connect for the Hyper-V...
  6. Hyper-V Network Adapter Bridge Mode?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Network Adapter Bridge Mode?: I'm running successfully running Android BlueStacks in a Hyper-V machine and have network connectivity through the host adapter. However, one Android app I run does not fully function because it believes the device is not on the same subnet as the actual host machine. Someone...
  7. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  8. Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network

Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network: I am running Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro and trying to install CentOS 6 on a VM. I define an external virtual switch, create a VM, specifying the use of the external virtual switch. I have 2 NICs on the host system, both with network access and internet access. The external...
  9. Network adapters not appearing in Hyper-V

Network adapters not appearing in Hyper-V: Hello. I'm hoping somebody knowledgeable can help me. I've looked online and I can't find an answer for this problem. I've just recently picked up windows 10 (It's been less than a week so I'm admittedly a noob with it) and I want to create a virtual machine. I've gone...
  10. Hyper-V & Win10 #2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V & Win10 #2: Is there a way to create a Desktop shortcut to the Hyper-V Windows 10 Client so when I double click it I launch Windows 10 under Hyper-V? I've seen suggestions for Powershell and VB scripts, none of which I could get to work. 2338