Windows 10: Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64

Discus and support Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi.I have a problem with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2022 x64 and Windows 11 arm64. In these specific cases, it seems to be impossible to attach physical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Olof Lagerkvist, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64

Hi.I have a problem with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2022 x64 and Windows 11 arm64. In these specific cases, it seems to be impossible to attach physical disks directly to a VM. No other Windows versions or architecture combinations seem to have this issue.In other cases, it is possible to simply offline the disk in Disk Management and then it is available to select in the physical hard disk dropdown box in VM settings. But not in Windows Server 2022 x64 or Windows 11 arm64. The dropdown box is always grayed out even if there are offline disks.Am I missing something else here or is this a bug of

:)

Olof Lagerkvist, Feb 4, 2023
  2. ShonoSF Win User

Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing

Hi there,

First of all, there is no "server" topic, so I put this under windows->other/unknown

According to this, if I have my fully licensed Windows Server Standard, than I can run 2 VM with the same license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lic...ing/windows-server?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0

My understanding is:

- physical host win srv std +2 vm with win srv std; in sum 3 full license

I achived:

- host os installed (with desktop experience), activated with STD license key, hyper-v role installed (no other role installed - expect default file/storage service)
    - first VM installed with same win server standard license, without an issue

- second VM installed with same win server standard license, but I can not activate it, because "license limit exceeded (used on other machine)"

Some forum says, I have to use AVMA for VM-s, but according to this AVMA requires Windows Server Datacenter edition with the Hyper-V host role installed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/automatic-vm-activation

Anyway, I've tried it. It does not work. "could not activate... you have to change key or upgrade host license"

My question is:

How to properly activate Win Srv STD hyper-v VMs?
    - should i use AVMA on STD as well? how to do this? (data exchange already enabled)
    - should I enter the OEM/Retail key for VMs? (than why I have error on 2nd VM)

AFAIK:
    - 1 license key is enough for 16 cores. The host has sum 16 phy cores (2x8 aka 2 x Xeon Silver 4109T), so this should be no problem.
    - the host slmgr /xpr and /dlv reports no error, aka "permanently" activated
    - I should be able to activate VMs with no internet access....

ShonoSF, Feb 4, 2023
  3. Hyper-V on win11/arm64

I have a Thinkpad x13s, ARM64 inside, 32 GiB, running win11. Hyper-V installed, WSL runs fine.

However, I have not been able to install ANY operating system in Hyper-V.

E.g., I downloaded the latest Ubuntu-22.04/server/ARM64, created a VM, and attached the ISO as a DVD. VM boots, I get the GRUB prompt, choose "install..." - then it hangs, saying:

EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMWARE BUG: kernel image not aligned on 64k boundary

Any ideas?

Eugene.Bogorad, Feb 4, 2023
  4. pascal' Win User

Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64

how to backup an Hyper-v VM with Win 11?

I have Hyper-V installed on Win 11 and I'd like to schedule a full backup (that could be restored!).

I could export VM, but it's manual, not automatic!

I'd read about Windows Server Backup, but I'm not sure I could get it on Win 11 ; I didn't succeeded to install it :-(

As my VM is Linux, I could make a system backup, that gives a .img, but after, I don' know what to do with it in Hyper-V

pascal', Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64

1. Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64 - Similar Threads - Hyper host physical

2. Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V host physical disk not available to VM in Server 2022 and Win 11 arm64: Hi.I have a problem with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2022 x64 and Windows 11 arm64. In these specific cases, it seems to be impossible to attach physical disks directly to a VM. No other Windows versions or architecture combinations seem to have this issue.In other cases, it is...
  3. How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM: Afternoon, hope you can help :Here is the setup I want to accomplish; I am stuck with the routing / NAT I suspectPhysical Server running Server 2019.2 - Physical NICS - 1 Connected to my router/home network running Server 2019. - 1 Connected to a separate Switch, currently...
  4. How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM: Afternoon, hope you can help :Here is the setup I want to accomplish; I am stuck with the routing / NAT I suspectPhysical Server running Server 2019.2 - Physical NICS - 1 Connected to my router/home network running Server 2019. - 1 Connected to a separate Switch, currently...
  5. Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing: Hi there,First of all, there is no "server" topic, so I put this under windows->other/unknownAccording to this, if I have my fully licensed Windows Server Standard, than I can run 2 VM with the same...
  6. Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing: Hi there,First of all, there is no "server" topic, so I put this under windows->other/unknownAccording to this, if I have my fully licensed Windows Server Standard, than I can run 2 VM with the same...
  7. Shared clipboard between Hyper-V VM and Win 10 host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Shared clipboard between Hyper-V VM and Win 10 host: Does Hyper-V support shared clipboard with host. I can't see any way to do it and it's a feature I really miss from Oracle VB. 141251
  8. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  9. Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V

Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V: If I copy a file from C drive in a hyper-v install to a separate partition on the vhd, I get approx 100MB/s which is pretty much the maximum hdd speed that contains the vhd. However, when I copy a file to an external physical drive, it is very slow @ approx 5 MB/s. Any...
  10. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...