Windows 10: Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!

Discus and support Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!! in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I decided to install Windows 10 as main OS on an HP Envy 17 laptop as soon as it would be possible to download the Tech Preview. Just after 20:00 (8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Kari, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!!

I decided to install Windows 10 as main OS on an HP Envy 17 laptop as soon as it would be possible to download the Tech Preview. Just after 20:00 (8 PM) last night my time (CEST), 1st of October, it was done.

Two optional updates, then adding features and enabling Hyper-V. After a reboot decided to install 7 on Hyper-V, it went as smooth as expected. Continued with installing 8.1 and a virtual 10, finally just to play a copy of Windows XP. All virtual machines work clearly faster than earlier on this same laptop in Windows 8.1.

I am really positively surprised how well Hyper-V runs on Ten. Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection is enough for the most but connect full screen using RDP with all integration services enabled on Generation 2 Windows 8.1 or 10 vm and you can hardly believe you are using a virtual machine.

After first hours of testing, my first impression is very good. My main concern was if Ten TechPrev allows me to continue using Hyper-V and import old virtual machines. That was a deal breaker for me, now I can do as planned and make WinTen my main OS on a few rigs.

At this point I give 88/100 points *Smile.

Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!! [​IMG]

:)

Kari, Oct 1, 2014

2. Windows 10 Enterprise Tech Preview freezes often on RDC

Windows 10 Enterprise Tech Preview freezes often on RDC - Remote Desktop Connection.

What would be the root cause that Windows 10 Enterprise Tech Preview freezes every time I try to reconnect from one day to the following on Remote Desktop Connection using Hyper-V on the server side?

Thanks,

isi.carlos, Oct 1, 2014
  3. Virtualisation on Windows 10 host machine

Hyper-v can only run on win 8 & win 10 (it is designed for them). There are other Virtual clients but IMHO Hyper-v serves most needs, is built into the system, and is free.

Here is a link on how to enable Hyper-v and while it speaks about win 8 it also applies to win 10

Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 8.1

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 1, 2014
  4. z3r010 Win User

z3r010, Oct 1, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    I bet it is. Personally I am really satisfied, I am a Hyper-V fan, don't like VMware and Vbox too much.

Kari, Oct 1, 2014
  6. LittleJay Win User
    Thanks for the heads up Kari! I am going to try setting up XP in Hper-V. *Thumbs

LittleJay, Oct 1, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    You know this already, I assume, but to be sure here some additional information for those wanting to install XP on a Hyper-V vm.

Be sure to select Not Connected in New Virtual Machine Wizard > Configure Networking:

When vm is created, go to its settings before launching the vm, select Add hardware, select Legacy Network Adapter, click Add:

Connect the legacy adapter to an existing external switch, click OK:

Check that Guest Integration Services are disabled, legacy network adapter has no connectivity if Guest Services are enabled.

Click OK to save settings. The above applies to virtual machines with Windows Vista SP1 or older version of Windows.

Kari, Oct 1, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi Kari

I might give this a go

Is there a "converter" to convert an existing VMware VM to HYPER-V - I think I only need to convert the VHD -- or is there a utility I can use to create a VM via a V2V (Virtual to Virtual) conversion -- particularly interested in an XP machine where I don't want to have to install the OS again and apply all the updates --I'm sure I don't even have the old drivers any more on CD.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    To play and test some odd stuff I have successfully used the Disk2VHD tool from Windows Sysinternals to create a vhd from an XP virtual machine running on VirtualBox, and then used this vhd on Hyper-V.

This test was on VirtualBox and Hyper-V running in Windows 8.1, though, but as far as I can see and think this there's nothing I can think of why it wouldn't work in your case Jimbo, VMware vm and Win10 Hyper-V.

Kari, Oct 1, 2014
  10. LittleJay Win User
    Thanks for the additional info Kari!

LittleJay, Oct 1, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    You are welcome. Older Windows and some Linux virtual machines require this legacy network adapter instead of native Hyper-V virtual adapter.

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks for that info.

I'll have a play with this stuff tomorrow -- My current work gig leaves me Fridays free so I'll have a good play then.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014
  13. Kari Win User

Keep us posted Jimbo, interested in hearing how it went.

14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Just starting now -- First I want to "Clone" the existing VM's -- will start with Windows 10 (if it breaks I haven't lost anything other than a bit of time). I'll also backup my existing HOST system -- you can never have too much backup !!!!

I then need to UNINSTALL VMware tools from the current VM and also disable VMware workstation (got the serial nr etc again in case I need to re-use it).

I'll then enable HYPER-V.

I've seen a utility where I can convert a VMware machine to HYPER-V so I'll try that

Then see what happens.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Kari Win User
    It will be a bit pain in the you know where, VMware and Hyper-V do not like each other and both refuse to work if the other is installed.

Good luck *Smile.

Thema:

1. Hyper-V in Win 10 Tech Preview, first impression: Nice!!! - Similar Threads - Hyper Tech Preview

2. Why can't Hyper-V play nicely with VirtualBox?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't Hyper-V play nicely with VirtualBox?: So, I use VM's mostly for curiosity at the moment, I have Windows 10 Pro, and so I decided to check and compare Hyper-V to VirtualBox, and VirtualBox seems vastly superior to Hyper-V (Hyper-V having no sound drivers is a big issue). So I decided to stick with VirtualBox,...
  3. First Steps in Hyper-V Research

in Windows 10 News
    First Steps in Hyper-V Research: Microsoft has put a lot of effort in Hyper-V security. Hyper-V, and the whole virtualization stack, runs at the core of many of our products: cloud computing, Windows Defender Application Guard, and technology built on top of Virtualization Based Security (VBS). Because...
  4. Password problem logging into Win 10 on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Password problem logging into Win 10 on Hyper-V: Yesterday I set up a virtual machine using Hyper-V on Win 8.1.1 and installed Win 10 10041. After installation, I went through the "connect" and "start" functions but it seemed to lock up with a white screen and "wait a moment" plus the rotating dotted circle. I left it...
  5. stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host: Hi, I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I am installing win 10 pro on my machine, which goes fine, then when i try to install hyper-v (add program and features) it seems to go well, reboots, tells me installing features, reboots again, then just...
  6. Windows 10 First Impressions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 First Impressions?: Post your likes and dislikes here, you may include screenshots and post any troubles you've had with setting up. My experience so far, only problem I have had is installing my graphics driver (Nvidia 560GTX), I downloaded w8.1 driver and initiated the installation, it...
  7. Windows 10 and Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Hyper-V: I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds. One good thing about a...
  8. Windows 10 in classrooms - first impressions.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 in classrooms - first impressions.: I installed the preview on a stock Dell Optiplex 780 with a NVS420. W8 nvidia drivers worked perfectly. W7 Audio drivers from Dell also work. I uninstalled irrelevant apps (for an education environment) and started piling on the software. ANSYS 2015, Matlab, Autodesk suite,...
  9. My First Impression

in Windows 10 Support
    My First Impression: NNOOOOO!!!!!!! Okay, that's the short answer. I get that a lot of people wanted a "start menu", but why take away the Start Screen and replace it with the box next to the menu ?? Granted, it didn't take me long to sort out how to add / remove tiles from it, but now I'm...
  10. Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Tech Preview is interesting but not compelling: I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have played with it quite a bit. It's definitely interesting but I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade to it. The main thing that...
Tags: