Windows 10: Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu

Discus and support Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to get my linux router OS project running in Hyper-V, but am hitting a snag when enabling more than 1 cpu.This is my linux config... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lance Fredrickson, May 21, 2024.

1. Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu

I'm trying to get my linux router OS project running in Hyper-V, but am hitting a snag when enabling more than 1 cpu.This is my linux config file.https://github.com/tomato64/tomato64/blob/master/tomato64/board/x86_64/linux.configWindows 10hyper-v gen2 vmkernel 6.6.31I've enabled everything listed in the below gentoo link. The only thing hyperv thing not enabled is HYPERV_TESTING. Maybe I should try enabling it but I haven't yet.https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hyper-VSo while I have only 1 cpu selected in the VM config, it boots fine and runs as expected. The only change I make is from 1 to 2 cp

:)

Lance Fredrickson, May 21, 2024
  2. OlafBubel Win User

Hyper-V-Manager not possible to passtrough linux VM audio.

Hellou hope anybody know exactly a answer for my problem:

Following problem occour: Hyper - V & Linux Mint 19.3 [VM NO AUDIO] over Hyper V Manager!

My Host System is Win 10 Pro x64 . And Linux VM is Linux Mint 19.3. x64.

I try a lot of sugessstion in diffrent forums for Linux and now i decided to ask my question here.

I have a (Dummy audio soundcard instead of my HW built in soundcard on my linux VM and

can't change anything here) also not in Hyper V - Manager. There are only passtrough for other

devices, but no settings to passtruth audio from VM over Hyper V as Host.

Problem as i connect to my VM over Hyper-V-Manager the result is no audio after install Linux VM

on Hyper V Manager:

I think it's related to the (Dummy Audio) and no good function for audio passtrough in Hyper V at all.

Can't solve this issue rightnow sad but truth. Get grey hairs haha Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu :) Hope anybody can help out with

my problem?

I saw in other posts that they had also the same issues with Hyper V (audiopasstrough). They suggest

to use Virtualbox or VMWare player instead of Hyper-V-Manager that is not possible to passtrough audio

over RDP with Linux Mint 19.3. or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS??? Or did i miss anything in the Hyper V Manager?

I try out also Ubuntu 18.04 LTS same problem with (Dummy Soundcard). But one thing i had seen (not hear)

in the [Audio Settings Manager] of (Linux VM) that the output gives sound out in Ubuntu with dummy card.

I believe it's a problem releated to Hyper V Manager (Passtroughaudio Issue). Don't know exactly?

Fix No Sound (Dummy Output) Issue In Ubuntu With SND HDA Intel - Linux Uprising Blog

[moved from German forums]

OlafBubel, May 21, 2024
  3. Can I install Garuda Linux in an Azure VM ?

Hi everyone,

I want to use Garuda Linux on my Azure VM by either using an ORACLE VIRTUALBOX or ANY OTHER suitable way.

But for that I need Hyper-V which is not available in any Azure VMs. I know nested virtualization exists, but I tried various VM sizes, Ds2_v3, e-series and almost everyone, none of them have it.

And I have read this documentation - Run Hyper-V in a Virtual Machine with Nested Virtualization | Microsoft Learn

in one of the steps, it says While the virtual machine is in the OFF state, run the following command on the physical Hyper-V host. Here, what is this physical hyper-v host? My laptop? or the Azure Data Centre ?

I couldn't figure out.

So can you please let me know the complete configuration of Azure VM -

• Which VM size to use
    • Any additional settings during VM creation
    • Region to choose
    • Settings to do in the VM itself
    so that I can use Oracle Virtualbox to install Garuda Linux.

If nested virtualization is not possible, suggest any alternative way to install Garuda linux on the VM.

Aansh Ojha, May 21, 2024
  4. Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu

What is the Difference Between Hyper-V and CPU/Hardware Virtualization?

Hi The! My name is David. I am a user of Microsoft products like you, and it is a pleasure to greet you.

To clarify, Hyper-V and CPU/hardware virtualization are related but distinct concepts:

1. CPU/Hardware Virtualization: This refers to a feature in your computer's CPU that allows the creation of virtual machines. It is a hardware capability provided by the processor. To use any type of virtualization software effectively, including Hyper-V, this feature needs to be enabled in the BIOS or UEFI firmware of your computer.

2. Hyper-V: Hyper-V is a virtualization platform developed by Microsoft. It allows you to create and manage virtual machines. It's a software layer that relies on hardware virtualization features of the CPU. Hyper-V can be thought of as the interface and toolset that utilizes CPU virtualization capabilities to create and manage virtual machines.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. Enabling Hyper-V and CPU Virtualization: Enabling Hyper-V in Windows does not automatically enable CPU virtualization in the BIOS/UEFI. These are separate actions. For Hyper-V to function correctly, CPU virtualization must be enabled in the BIOS/UEFI.

2. Using Hyper-V Without CPU Virtualization Enabled: If you were able to turn on Hyper-V without enabling CPU virtualization, it likely means that your CPU supports virtualization but it wasn't explicitly enabled in the BIOS/UEFI. Some systems have this enabled by default. However, performance and functionality might be limited or not work as expected.

3. Automatic VM Creation with Hyper-V: Turning on Hyper-V does not automatically create a virtual machine. It simply enables the capability to create and manage VMs. You need to manually create a VM using Hyper-V Manager or PowerShell commands.

In summary, while Hyper-V is a software tool for creating and managing virtual machines, CPU/hardware virtualization is a prerequisite hardware feature that needs to be enabled for Hyper-V to function properly. They work in tandem but are enabled and managed separately.

I hope this helps clarify the differences and how these technologies interact. Let me know if the shared information has been helpful. Regards.

DavidSanchez01, May 21, 2024
Thema:

Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu

1. Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu - Similar Threads - Hyper Linux hangs

2. Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu: I'm trying to get my linux router OS project running in Hyper-V, but am hitting a snag when enabling more than 1 cpu.This is my linux config file.https://github.com/tomato64/tomato64/blob/master/tomato64/board/x86_64/linux.configWindows 10hyper-v gen2 vmkernel 6.6.31I've...
  3. Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V - Linux VM hangs when enabling using more than 1 cpu: I'm trying to get my linux router OS project running in Hyper-V, but am hitting a snag when enabling more than 1 cpu.This is my linux config file.https://github.com/tomato64/tomato64/blob/master/tomato64/board/x86_64/linux.configWindows 10hyper-v gen2 vmkernel 6.6.31I've...
  4. HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's: Hi there On Linux VM's with HYPER-V on latest build 20H1 : In Non full screen mode you can't adjust the screen area so you can lose the bottom part of the screen. [img] In Full screen mode the Guest doesn't allow monitor size settings to full 1980 X 1080 I don't think...
  5. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  6. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  7. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  8. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Note A working and quite nice alternative for dual booting is to install various operating systems on a virtual machine. CentOS is...