Windows 10: HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ???

Discus and support HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ??? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks particularly @Kari With HYPER V is it possible to create a training environment so that people can do exercises / tutorials on a VM but at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 12, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ???

Hi folks
    particularly @Kari

With HYPER V is it possible to create a training environment so that people can do exercises / tutorials on a VM but at the end of the session the Virtual HDD's are restored to the initial state.

With VMWARE it's easy enough but I'm not sure how HYPER V works. This way is better than just restoring VM's every time. Note this is different from SNAPSHOTS.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 12, 2017
  2. NickC_UK Win User

Recreate Windows 10 Recovery partition

When Windows 10 is installed as a hyper-v virtual machine it creates a 350Mb System Reserved partition at the beginning of the disk and a 450Mb Recovery partition at the end of the disk.

Problem is this 450Mb Recovery partition at the end of the disk then prevents hyper-v edit disk from being able to shrink the dynamic disk!

Solution seems to be either move the 'Recover Partition' or delete and recreate it, question is how?

NickC_UK, Nov 12, 2017
  3. Hyper V

I have read all the answers about disabling Hyper V in Windows 8.1. It does not work. I repeat, unchecking Hyper V in the change Windows Settings does not work. I ran Ubuntu and Fedora in the Virtual Machine. Now I have VM Ware. It
    is not compatible with Hyper V. How do I disable the virtual machines and the virtual disk created by Hyper V? I am using
    Windows 10.

Robber_joey, Nov 12, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Dead easy - just create a checkpoint at start of session, and wind back to that at end of session.

Also, you can export the VM for sharing so it can be reinstated quickly as an added precaution.

cereberus, Nov 12, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Exactly.

Create the VM. Before booting it first time open its Settings and disable automatic checkpoints (#1), check that checkpoints are enabled (#2) and that checkpoint type is set as Standard Checkpoints (#3).

HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ??? [​IMG]

Boot VM, set it up as it should be at start before user starts training (install required software, set resolution and other settings and so on). Shut down VM. Create checkpoint:

Start VM, change it as you wish or as training requires. Shut down when done, apply checkpoint to restore saved state:

That's it. Next time the VM is started, it restores the saved state as in selected checkpoint.

Notice that by default, if you have applied checkpoints but not started virtual machines after applying them, next time Windows will be restarted the virtual machines will start automatically. To avoid automatic start of virtual machines with applied checkpoints after Windows boot, set Automatic Start Action to Nothing. Default is Automatically start if it was running when the service stopped, which not only starts virtual machines which were running when service was stopped (Windows shut down / restarted), but also automatically starts those virtual machines which had a checkpoint applied before service was stopped.

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi guys

Thanks

Nice clear explanations too -- thanks again

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ??? - Similar Threads - HYPER Non persistent

2. Moving Hyper-V to Another Disk

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Moving Hyper-V to Another Disk: I'm running out of space on the disk where I have my VMs so I'd like to move all of them to another disk on the same PC. What's the best way to do that? 136593
  3. Video: Hyper-V Differencing Disks

Video: Hyper-V Differencing Disks: Last Saturday, 8th of December, we had one of our TenForums Live webcasts. The topic was Hyper-V, and I had prepared a presentation / demonstration about how to use Differencing Disks to save both storage space and time. Although the webcast was recorded, it was too hard to...
  4. Differencing Hard Disk - Hyper-V

Differencing Hard Disk - Hyper-V: I came across this option when creating a new had drive in Hyper-V. Has anybody ever used one - is it analogous to e.g. a checkpoint, or an incremental image backup in Macrium Reflect? When and how would you use it? [img] Edit - been reading up on it and they look quite...
  5. Hyper-V - Use Differencing Disks

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Use Differencing Disks: How to: Hyper-V - Use Differencing Disks [img] Information A virtual machine using Differencing Disks is stored on two separate virtual hard disks. The Parent Disk contains the basic Windows installation, and the Child Disk all user settings, data, customizations and so...
  6. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  7. Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V

Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V: If I copy a file from C drive in a hyper-v install to a separate partition on the vhd, I get approx 100MB/s which is pretty much the maximum hdd speed that contains the vhd. However, when I copy a file to an external physical drive, it is very slow @ approx 5 MB/s. Any...
  8. Virtual Hard disk created in hyper-v

Virtual Hard disk created in hyper-v: Hi There I am using windows 10 Pro, and had a virtual machine installed using Hyper-V with two virtual HDD in that VM. Recently I had some problem with my Windows 10 OS and had to reset my windows with keeping all the files and settings, and it installed a new windows...
  9. Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option

Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option: I added an existing .VHD (XP SP3 guest OS, which I originally created in Virtual PC 2007 running on an XP SP3 host OS) to Hyper-V via the Hyper-V Manager. It worked fine, except, I have no "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option in the Action menu, so I have no video,...
  10. Where is the Integration Service Disk of Hyper-V in Windows 10?

Where is the Integration Service Disk of Hyper-V in Windows 10?: Hello guys *Smile I want to install a Windows 7 VM with Hyper-V, but I could not find the item "Insert Integration Service disk" in the Action menu of Hyper-V console. [img] Now my Windows 7 VM looks ugly with no Aero effect and screen resolution is not autoscale....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper v nonpersistant disk

2. hyper-v non-persistent disk

3. windows 10 hyper-v persistent disk

4. hyper-v non persistent disk,
  5. hyper-v nonpersistant disk