Windows 10: Hyper-V : only generation 1 VMs install OS

Discus and support Hyper-V : only generation 1 VMs install OS in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Win10 Pro 2004. Standalone computer. In August I created a generation 2 VM that installed 2004 into vhdx drive without problem. Yesterday and today, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by thename, Jan 2, 2021.

1. thename Win User

Hyper-V : only generation 1 VMs install OS

Win10 Pro 2004. Standalone computer.

In August I created a generation 2 VM that installed 2004 into vhdx drive without problem.
    Yesterday and today, a dozen generation 2 VMs,
    configured identically to the August VM and using same 2004.iso file,
    would not install the OS.

Plenty of RAM and HDD space available, plenty assigned.

Then I created a generation 1 VM (having read that it is a remedy, albeit unsatisfactory),
    and the OS installed.

Has any reader here encountered this?

:)

thename, Jan 2, 2021
  2. thename Win User

Thanks. No kind of Hello sign-in ever has been set up. In Hyper-V Mgr I disabled enhanced mode,
    created another generation 2 VM, same booting problem.
    Immediately I created a generation 1 VM, all other settings same, it boots.

thename, Jan 2, 2021
  3. StAr_L0rd Win User
    Hyper V - Unable to install any OS

Hello,

I am trying to install a Gen 2 VM using Hyper-V but I have failed so far..

OS(s) I have tried..

1. Windows 10 Pro 1809

2. Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18290

3. Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS for Desktop

4. Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS for Server

Type.. as Generation 2.

Secure Boot both as On and Off.

Windows OS failed at starting. When I started the VM, it displayed "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...." But whenever I pressed a key, it rebooted and displayed the message again everytime.

Linux OS, the VM started and I went through all the installation steps, but as soon as the actual installation started, the installer failed soon after partitioning.

ISO.. downloaded and re-downloaded multiple times. Verified checksum.

Host system reset done, still not working.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gen 1 VM.. same ISO.. Windows OS working. Linux.. I didn't try.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Host system...

Processor: Core i5 8300H

RAM: 8GB

BIOS: Virtualization is ON

Optional features... Turned ON..

1. Container Image Manager

2. Containers

3. Hyper-V

4. Virtual Machine Platform

5. Windows Hypervisor Platform

StAr_L0rd, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Hyper-V : only generation 1 VMs install OS

Move Hyper-V VM Without Reactivating?

According to this (How do I avoid needing to activate Windows when I move a VM? [Hyper-V]) link it is possible to move a Hyper V VM to a new host without having to reactivate the guest OS by exporting
    it and importing it. Are there any additional steps I should know about or is it as simple as find the export and then import (on the new host) options/buttons?

EvenNotOdd, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Hyper-V : only generation 1 VMs install OS - Similar Threads - Hyper generation VMs

2. Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?: Hello,Working on expanding my skills and challenging myself and not looking for any easy outs. I have a QNAP TS932-PX with 2 x 16TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives configured in RAID 0 I don't want to waste any space needlessly and have other alternatives for backup. I need to...
  3. Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?: Hello,Working on expanding my skills and challenging myself and not looking for any easy outs. I have a QNAP TS932-PX with 2 x 16TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives configured in RAID 0 I don't want to waste any space needlessly and have other alternatives for backup. I need to...
  4. Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  6. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  7. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Hyper-V forgets my VMs

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V forgets my VMs: Ok on build 16288, but happened on earlier builds - when I reboot my laptop, Hyper-V keeps forgetting my VMs saying I have noinstalled. Only takes a couple of minutes to restore them but a PITA. I am going to try and unistall Hyper-V and reinstall to see if that fixes...
  9. Identifying VMs in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Identifying VMs in Hyper-V: Hi does anybody know how to tell what Hyper-V VM is connected to which /vhdx file ? It is all a bit of a mess now. I am guessing the only valid ones are the large datafiles? cheers [img] 84958
  10. See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2: How to: See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2 How to See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be...