Windows 10: Hyper V or VMWare?

Discus and support Hyper V or VMWare? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by essenbe, Oct 9, 2015.

1. essenbe Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages between Hyper V and VMWare for those who have tried both. I would suspect both have their advantages and disadvantages.

:)

essenbe, Oct 9, 2015

2. Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Constant High CPU Usage from System, ICS, Firewall, CoreMessaging and Filter Motor

Folks i had te same issue, solved by removing Hyper-V feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Roberto Rodrigues, Oct 9, 2015
  3. shadowynd Win User
    Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Oct 9, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

I prefer hyper-v for a few reasons.

1. it automatically suspends and resumes guests when you shut down/reboot. The latest VMWare workstation pro does this (but that is the paid version). It is really quite astonishing other hypervisors don't do this but according to VirtualBox forums it is technically difficult to schedule a task on shutdown and Hyper-V have an advantage here - they can hook into the OS.

2. You can native boot the vhdx (if your guest is windows) just by adding an entry to the bcd store. That is useful if you want the extra performance.

3. It is easy to control through powershell (if you want to).

4. It has dynamic memory allocation so you can overcommit memory and the guests only take from the host what is required. This will generally be more when booting and then fall off when idle. I have a Windows 10 Pro and Arch Linux guests running now (idling) using 672 and 400MB respectively.

5. I prefer the interface (but that is just subjective and probably because I use it more often).

What it doesn't have:

1. Unity interface (where you can run apps separately rather than a whole full screen interface). I'm not interested in that though but many people like it.

2. Can't run Hyper-V guests on OSX or Linux hosts. You need to use VMWare or VirtualBox for that.

I do have a license for VMWare fusion on OSX (it is not free unlike VMWare Workstation Player on Windows and Linux) but I find VirtualBox is better than VMware for running headless. Perhaps you can do it on VMWare - I'm not sure.

TBH Hyper-V isn't any more complicated than VMWare (or VirtualBox) I don't think. The only difference is you need to (one time) create a virtual switch for networking whereas VMWare and VBox do this automatically when you install.

lx07, Oct 9, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    I am biased to answer, I am a Hyper-V fan and do not know VMware products too well. Anyway, some features in Hyper-V I like:

• The Checkpoints, I use Standard Checkpoints exclusively, for some other users the Production Checkpoint might be better
    • Perfectly working Visual Studio integration for those coding Windows Universal or mobile apps. Installing Visual Studio after the Hyper-V is set up automatically creates the Windows Mobile virtual machines for debugging
    • Automatic shutdown or suspension when the host is turned off, hibernated or the current user signs off. No need to shutdown virtual machines, automatic start feature restores my virtual machines to the exact state they were when suspended when I sign in again, either immediately or after a delay set by me
    • Automatic start of selected virtual machines whenever I sign in, immediately or after a delay set by me
    • Ability to run simple nested virtual machines; For instance my Windows XP needs are covered by running Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode on a Windows 7 Ultimate virtual machine running on Hyper-V on my Windows 10 host
    • Dynamic RAM which really works; set Start RAM, Minimum RAM and Maximum RAM values. The vm only uses the host RAM according to its current needs. Other virtualization solutions have "kind of" dynamic memory features, too, but they do not release the unneeded RAM to the host but instead the RAM not needed at the moment can only be used by other virtual machines; In Hyper-V each vm with dynamic memory enabled, the RAM they do not need and is released will immediately be usable by the host. In screenshot an example about how little RAM a Windows 10 Pro vm needs when its idle, only downloading and installing updates:

Hyper V or VMWare? [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)
    A short list, only a few points but already these points make Hyper-V my favorite.

Kari, Oct 9, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    A few questions, and I may be wrong, but I understand Hyper v is this way. The virtual switch runs the VM connection through the Host? The VM cannot 'see' the Host? You cannot install a USB and have it used by the VM. The VM can see other VM's but can it see other Drives on the Host?

essenbe, Oct 9, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    Yes. Depending on your needs you can assign a vm an external virtual switch (full network & Internet connectivity), an internal switch (full network connectivity, no Internet) or a private switch (network connectivity only between virtual machines using the same private switch, no connection to host, no Internet).

Again, depending on the switch you have assigned to vm. External and Internal switches = full network connections between host and virtual machines, private = no connection to host.

Enhanced Mode (guest w. 8 or later, Server 2012 or later, Red Hat Linux Enterprise, CentOS Linux) all host devices can be used, see below. On guests running 7 or older Windows or other than mentioned Linux the same can be achieved by using Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the vm.

In enhanced mode it can see everything:

The enhanced mode basically brings the best of RDP to Hyper-V.

Kari, Oct 9, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

In addition to my previous post, here's a simple explanation how the virtual switches work in host and a vm.

When you create external virtual switches, also the host starts using them. Here's the Network & Sharing Center from my host, connected to the network and Internet through Hyper-V external wired and wireless switches:

The prefix vEthernet is the revealing factor here, it tells that these two are not my physical wired and wireless adapters but virtual switches instead, using the host physical adapters for connection. For the virtual machines to get connected, all network traffic also from and to host must go through the external virtual switches.

Here's how the adapter view looks like:

1 = My real wired adapter
    2 = The wired external switch I am de facto using at the moment on my host. It in its turn uses the physical wired adapter (#1)
    3 = My real, physical wireless adapter
    4 = A network bridge connecting the host wireless adapter (#3) to an external network switch (#5). When you create an external network switch assigning it to a wireless adapter, a network bridge will always be automatically created. As the Hyper-V virtual machines can only see and use a wired Ethernet connection, or rather a Hyper-V vm always sees all network adapters as wired not understanding the concept of wireless, a bridge is needed to present an external switch assigned to host wireless adapter as a wired connection to Hyper-V
    5 = The wireless external switch which as told above uses the bridge (#4) to connect to host wireless adapter (#3)
    6 = An Internal switch for Windows Mobile virtual machines, used for debugging / testing mobile code from Visual Studio

Kari, Oct 9, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I appreciate your extra effort, Kari. That was an excellent demonstration of what actually happens to accomplish each function you want/need.

essenbe, Oct 9, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    You are welcome Steve *Smile

11. spapakons Win User
    Well, I am not familiar with Hyper-V, but I use VMWare and I say is better than Virtualbox or other virtual machines as it has more features. It supports accelerated 3D graphics, USB devices, serial and parallel ports and it easier to configure. As guest OS it supports all Windows versions, most Linux distributions, Solaris, Android x86 and even Mac OS X with a specially configured virtual machine. It supports the Unity feature which means you can run an application of a virtual machine to a window rather than the whole desktop. This combined with XP mode or full Windows XP guest allows you to run old 32-bit and 16-bit applications in Windows 64-bit that could not run otherwise. The disadvantages are that it is not free. It deserves all the memory you give to the virtual machine so running too many virtual machines in parallel can make your computer slow. And of course it doesn't shutdown the virtual machines automatically when you logout.

spapakons, Oct 10, 2015
  12. MAS
    MaS Win User
    I previously used VMWare Workstation 10 on Windows 8.1 x64.
    When I uninstalled VMWare Workstation 10 I found the following:
    • Irreversible changes to Windows 8.1 system setup
    • A huge number
    of files and folders left on my system that could not be deleted
    I had to format my C:\ drive and re-install Windows 8.1 afresh.

My question now is:
    If I install Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro x64, will take control of my system and make irreversible changes like VMWare Workstation did?

13. Kari Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

No.

14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

HYPER-V does seem to have improved over the last year or so - But :

it might have been fixed now but USB support was always a bit problematical in HYPER-V -- even now I'm not sure if USB3 support is available for GUESTS in HYPER-V. VMware workstation has the ability to set USB2/USB3 support in the VM settings for any particular guest. If your machine has USB3 ports and you use things like external USB HDD's for movie servers etc on your GUEST system then the performance difference between USB2 and USB3 is absolutely worth it..

VM's using HYPER-V seem also to have a problem when you want to connect a lot of external peripherals to them (probably because of the USB problems) - however in the case of external HDD's you can I suppose share those by attaching them to the host and using network sharing. The disadvantage of this is you can't then build a 100% isolated GUEST if you have to share external devices with the Host.

I also tend to dislike having to use RDP (Remote Desktop) as the console to communicate with the GUEST VM's -- if you run your VM's on a remote machine RDP protocol is really slow compared with the full network speed - even on a wireless connection (assuming decent broadband / networking).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2015
  15. MAS
    MaS Win User
    Hyper-V was successfully setup.
    But attempts to setup ubunto 15.04 repeatedly and miserably failed.
    (I followed your instructions for setting up Linux & Ubuntu in Hyper-V Windows 8.1 host).

Hyper-V virtualized half my RAM (8 GB) without my knowledge. It also cut my internet connection because it changed my "Ethernet" setup, however, reversing this was fairly easy.

But all attempts at retrieving my RAM failed, even after "uninstalling" Hyper-V through "Programs and Features" then "Turn Windows features on and off" then unchecking "Hyper-V".

How could I retrieve my "virtualized" RAM ?

Thema:

Hyper V or VMWare?

1. Hyper V or VMWare? - Similar Threads - Hyper VMWare

2. How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine: [ATTACH]VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class, type-1 hypervisor developed by VMware for deploying and serving virtual computers by integrating vital OS components, such as a kernel; since as a type-1 hypervisor, ESXi is not a software application that can be installed on an OS....
  3. vmware file conversion to hyper-v file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    vmware file conversion to hyper-v file: i had a problem using my virtual machine in vmware so i thought that i can use that file in hyper -v but how to convert .vmdk file into .vhdx or vhd please guide...
  4. VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset: Hi folks Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty universal as the paravirtualised hardware works on most devices without issue -- i.e you can copy / move VM's more or less at will...
  5. Your host does not meet minimum requirements to run VMware Workstation with Hyper-V or...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Your host does not meet minimum requirements to run VMware Workstation with Hyper-V or...: Running a virtual system in Vmware it was showing a error like this: [ATTACH] I was copy & pasted the error in google there is some solutions i was go throw it, but in the group policies the file Device Gurd missing [ATTACH] now i'm searched in google about DG...
  6. Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX)

Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX): Hi folks Has anybody got 1920 X 1080 resolution to work on any "Sensible" --i.e commonly used Linux distros as a VM on a Windows Host whether VBOX, VMWare or even HYPER-V is used as the virtualisation software. Seems the problem is now most Linux modern distros are using...
  7. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  8. Any way to get Hyper-V and VMware working at the same time?

Any way to get Hyper-V and VMware working at the same time?: Hyper-v is awful for running Linux VMs. I always have trouble with it, blank screens, stuff never loading up. I'd much rather use vmware for it. I'll happily use it for my windows ones too..however, if I want to use Windows Sandbox, I need hyper-v turned on which prevents me...
  9. VMWare 20H1 fails to run when HYPER-V installed

VMWare 20H1 fails to run when HYPER-V installed: Hi folks Bad news for the current VMWare evaluation release 20H1 -- doesn't seem to do what it says on the tin --fails when running a HYPER-V VM (or even having HYPER-V installed --so VMWare --afraid this one --FAIL). I think the main purpose was to get VMWare and HYPER-V...
  10. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...