Windows 10: Hyper V or VMWare?

Discus and support Hyper V or VMWare? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hyper-V was successfully setup. But attempts to setup ubunto 15.04 repeatedly and miserably failed. (I followed your instructions for setting up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by essenbe, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Kari Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

I have never had any issues in setting up a Linux virtual machine on Hyper-V, simply by following the instructions. The tutorial you referred to at our sister site the Eight Forums is valid and gives correct information.

Hyper-V does not "virtualize" your RAM, I don't even understand what you mean. Hyper-V does not use nor reserve any of your RAM, expect when a virtual machine is running in which case it uses the exact amount of host RAM you have assigned to said virtual machine. When you shutdown the virtual machine, the RAM is immediately "returned" to your host PC.

Hyper-V never cuts your Internet connection. If you want your virtual machines to connect to the Internet, you need to create so called external virtual switches. When an external switch has been created, also the host computer starts using it, without losing Internet connection.

In this very thread I have posted quite simple explanation for that:
    Hyper V or VMWare? - Windows 10 Forums

You have plain and simple user errors. I recommend you to read the instructions really through before trying something new, something you do not understand.

2. MAS
    MaS Win User

I read and followed your own illustrated instructions carefully in both setting Hyper-V in Windows 10 and setting a Ubuntu 15.04 Virtual Machine.

I did not make "simple user errors" because it was all made by Hyper-V in Windows 10 on following your own instructions. I actually made a single "simple user error": I trusted your abrupt "No" reply to my question about Hyper-V making changes to my Windows 10 setup.

May be you were drunk when you wrote your arrogant and offensive reply to my simple question and request for help.
    I do understand what I do extremely well, I have been using computers since they started with DOS and Windows 3.
    And I have scientific qualifications much higher than your ego can comprehend.

3. Kari Win User
    In my response to you was nothing arrogant, offensive or impolite, only facts. I had no idea you do not want to hear the truth if it involves errors made by you.

Please try to understand this:
    • Hyper-V does never - I repeat: never - "virtualize" your RAM when it's not used and no virtual machines are running.
    • Hyper-V does not make any changes in your system. Nada. Of course it creates some folders but that's it.
    • As is well documented both in the Hyper-V virtual switch tutorial at the EF and all other Hyper-V tutorials at EF and here at TF, to connect your virtual machines to the Internet you need to create and use external virtual switches. If you don't need Internet on your virtual machines, you don't have to create external switches, in which case your host uses Internet as always. However, if your virtual machines need Internet, also your host needs to use an external virtual switch.
    • Creating an external virtual switch as instructed does never break your Internet connection.
    • Most of my tutorials are written under influence. That's my way.
    • I believe I speak not for myself but also for other tutorial makers saying that not a single tutorial of mine will be posted before it has been thoroughly tested, the method in it used in real life scenarios. My way is to print what I have written, take a virgin computer and follow my written instructions as if I had absolutely no idea about the procedure, just the written instructions. I repeat this a few times and first then post the tutorial.
    • Statements like "Hyper-V virtualized half of my RAM" and "It also cut my Internet connection because it changed my Ethernet setup", both totally absurd, tell it quite clearly that you tried something you do not understand. I am sorry for that.

4. Kari Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

I just had to try this, once again, in my efforts to try to understand how so incredibly simple procedure can sometimes, for some users be so difficult. Downloaded Ubuntu 15.10 (did not see any links to 15.04 on their download page and did not want to spend too much time for this).

Download took about two minutes, setting up a vm in Hyper-V as instructed in the tutorial about a minute, and finally 11 minutes to install Ubuntu following the instructions to the letter:

Hyper V or VMWare? [​IMG]

It's 08:50 now here (8:50 AM), as you can see this vm was created not 15 minutes ago, Ubuntu installed and online:

5. MAS
    MaS Win User
    The following are all facts:
    I run Windows 10 Pro.
    My copy of Ubuntu 15.04 was downloaded in July. I used to "try it out".
    I had initial difficulties setting up Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro. A kind member of the appropriate thread replied to my request for help and advised me to turn off all other apps, AV, etc. I did and it worked thanks to his kind and polite advice. Having difficulties setting up a feature of Windows 10 because of this very simple issue indicates that some one somewhere in Microsoft did not know about the potential problem and did not write a solution to it and did not write an appropriate Error Note or an appropriate link to it; why should a mere mortal like me click on a link to find himself in the middle of no where related to his problem such as .NET Framework 3.5 ?!!!
    You refer users of TenForums who wish to setup a Linux distro on Windows 10 to your own tutorial in Windows 8.1 because you have not written a specific tutorial for that on Windows 10.
    I followed your directions very carefully and several times indeed, before giving up and unistalling Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro.
    I expected to find no changes to my system as you emphatically told me with your "No". But I found the following after-effects of Hyper-V:
    • A virtual desk folder, this was easily deleted (it was empty).
    • The driver for my Ethernet Realtek was removed, I knew that from the troubleshooter and I successfully and easily re-installed the driver and was re-connected again.
    • I noticed that my system was slowing down and stalling on a few occasions, looked at my system properties and System - Performance Monitor and found that my RAM had gone down from 16 to 8 GB. I tried to find out the cause or troubleshoot it and found the following in System Information:

I did not include the snapshots when I reported these problems, but here they are.
    I expected to receive practical advice. I would have been happy if the reply was negative. But I must admit I never expected this barrage of ridicule.
    I think I should learn not to complain about Microsoft products. This, anyway, is not as bad a problem as uninstalling Microsoft Office 2016 caused, I solved most of the problems but am still struggling to retrieve my July-November email messages that have completely disappeared from Microsoft Outlook 2013 on my desktop, the messages are still there on the Outlook.com server, but for some reason Outlook 2013 synchronizes and downloads the all the messages before and after but this Black Hole in history !!!
    The moral of the story is that may be we should all accept that Microsoft products are not all perfect or behave according to particular and regular expectations within different environments.

6. LIOTB Win User
    Sorry, to revive a dead thread, but one question for Kari.

Where do I find the menu you have shown in your screenshot so that I can have better integrated services?

Thank you much!

LIOTB, Feb 19, 2016
  7. spapakons Win User
    Sorry to interfere, as an advice to anyone else: If you experience any issue, first make sure you have installed and enabled all the relevant features in Windows and that you have updated drivers when applicable. For example I read somewhere in this thread about Microsoft .NET 3.5. You should have enabled it since not only Hyper-V but many other applications require it and they won't work properly no matter what you do, unless you enable it. So before complaining again, first make sure you have installed and enabled all the relevant features. It's not Microsoft's fault if you didn't. And NO, there is not excuse because most of the times a popup window will inform that you need to enable a specific feature. If you just dismiss it and don't do it, the fault is YOURS.

spapakons, Feb 19, 2016
  8. LIOTB Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

Hello Kari,

Thank you so much for your extensive help in this thread!

On quick question: Where do I find the menu you have shown in your screenshot so that I can have better integrated services? (in the attachment link in your comment quoted below)

Thank you much!

LIOTB, Feb 19, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Main disadvantages in HYPER-V from my point of view are :

1) Hideous USB support so quite difficult to add any sort of specialized hardware to the GUEST OS if done via USB connection

2) Sound support on the GUEST is limited (if even possible --Kari would have a better answer for that)

3) You need W8/8.1/W10 PRO or above editions to run it --won't work on HOME premium editions as HYPER-V isn't installed on those editions (or even available).

4) fiddly sharing HDD's on your network with the Guest.

I have an XP VM machine that has a load of specialized hardware - the hardware drivers install just fine in the VM itself when running VMWARE workstation.

It really depends on what you want your guest to do -- whether you need to add a load of hardware or just for "Officy" things and general Windows testing.

If you don't like VMware VBOX is another alternative to HYPER-V.

What I would be interested in seeing working is a HYPER-V type of installation without the Windows overhead (rather like Esxi) with some passthru to the VM of actual hardware --that would make for a very interesting use of HYPER-V for running a decent load of Virtual Servers -- any help here Kari !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 20, 2016
  10. spapakons Win User
    I have not really tested Hyper-V, I used only 1-2 times, but I have tested VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox and old Microsoft Virtual PC. From these VMWare is by far the best and more featured. Pity it is not free, but good things come at a price.

spapakons, Feb 28, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    VMWARE PLAYER is free for home (i.e non commercial) users. You can create VM's etc with it - perfectly good if you don't need the full functionality of VMware workstation which is a chargeable professional product.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 4, 2018
  12. spapakons Win User
    You are right. Once you have created (or downloaded) the virtual machine, then you can use VMWare Player for free to load it. The only disadvantage is that you cannot create a new virtual machine with the player (you could modify an existing one though...)

spapakons, Mar 4, 2018
  13. Kari Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

When has that changed? All the VMware testing I have done, I have always used the free Player version, always being able to create virtual machines.

14. strollin Win User
    That was the case quite a few years ago (10?) but is no longer the case. VMWarePlayer is perfectly capable of creating new VMs.

strollin, Mar 4, 2018
  15. cereberus Win User
    Ok, I know this is an old post but this thread has been resurrected.

Just want to say items 1,2 and 4 only really applies to basic mode nowadays.

All these items are easy in enhanced mode now.

Item 1 is still partly true when attaching usb devices other than usb drives though to be fair.

Also item 3 is true but there is a simple "fix" to enable enhanced mode on Home but remains true for other OSs of course.

I only say this as things have moved on since original post.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hyper V or VMWare?

1. Hyper V or VMWare? - Similar Threads - Hyper VMWare

2. How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine: [ATTACH]VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class, type-1 hypervisor developed by VMware for deploying and serving virtual computers by integrating vital OS components, such as a kernel; since as a type-1 hypervisor, ESXi is not a software application that can be installed on an OS....
  3. vmware file conversion to hyper-v file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    vmware file conversion to hyper-v file: i had a problem using my virtual machine in vmware so i thought that i can use that file in hyper -v but how to convert .vmdk file into .vhdx or vhd please guide...
  4. VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset: Hi folks Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty universal as the paravirtualised hardware works on most devices without issue -- i.e you can copy / move VM's more or less at will...
  5. Your host does not meet minimum requirements to run VMware Workstation with Hyper-V or...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Your host does not meet minimum requirements to run VMware Workstation with Hyper-V or...: Running a virtual system in Vmware it was showing a error like this: [ATTACH] I was copy & pasted the error in google there is some solutions i was go throw it, but in the group policies the file Device Gurd missing [ATTACH] now i'm searched in google about DG...
  6. Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX)

Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX): Hi folks Has anybody got 1920 X 1080 resolution to work on any "Sensible" --i.e commonly used Linux distros as a VM on a Windows Host whether VBOX, VMWare or even HYPER-V is used as the virtualisation software. Seems the problem is now most Linux modern distros are using...
  7. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  8. Any way to get Hyper-V and VMware working at the same time?

Any way to get Hyper-V and VMware working at the same time?: Hyper-v is awful for running Linux VMs. I always have trouble with it, blank screens, stuff never loading up. I'd much rather use vmware for it. I'll happily use it for my windows ones too..however, if I want to use Windows Sandbox, I need hyper-v turned on which prevents me...
  9. VMWare 20H1 fails to run when HYPER-V installed

VMWare 20H1 fails to run when HYPER-V installed: Hi folks Bad news for the current VMWare evaluation release 20H1 -- doesn't seem to do what it says on the tin --fails when running a HYPER-V VM (or even having HYPER-V installed --so VMWare --afraid this one --FAIL). I think the main purpose was to get VMWare and HYPER-V...
  10. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...