Windows 10: HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari)

Discus and support HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Question on HYPER-V -- I've a machine with 2 Display port outputs and a standard old fashioned RGB (video type monitor) output -- all 3 are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 30, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari)

Hi there
    Question on HYPER-V -- I've a machine with 2 Display port outputs and a standard old fashioned RGB (video type monitor) output -- all 3 are selectable. The 2 Display port outputs are connected via an HDMI switchbox to one monitor with Displayport->HDMI connectors.

My question is this -- can I dedicate one of the Display ports to a VM using HYPER-V even though I have to switch to the single physical monitor screen via the HDMI switchbox or do I need a second physical screen.

On a Linux Host I've tested the video outputs and they can work independently to different monitors -- I don't have room though for a second monitor for this machine -- currently I get hideous video performance on a VM HYPER-V where "Paravirtualisation" of the video takes place -- passthru a physical adapter port would seem to be much better - especially as there's 3 video outport ports available on the Host.

So @Kari (hope you had a Happy / Safe XMAS and hope for the new year) - any thoughts on this.

(The monitor has 2 HDMI and an RGB (old fashioned monitor) inputs so in theory so I could eliminate the HDMI switchbox too). Video resolution of up to HD 1080p is all that's required - the HOST video ports can all deliver 1920 X 1080 -- even the RGB one can.

I want first to test logging on to the HOST directly -- then connect to the VM from a LAPTOP which is on a fast 10 gbs LAN.

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2020

2. HYPER-V question for probably Kari

Yep, I've been running Hyper-V remotely about 2 years now. No need for logging in on the server computer once all remote trusts are setup properly.

I run VMs on my Asus UX305CA and they are all hosted on my Asus U46SV:

HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari) [​IMG]

slicendice, Dec 30, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    HYPER-V question for probably Kari

Hi folks

Thanks to all
    Having a go now using latest skippy build as host (18214) --Glutton for punishment. !! I haven't installed vmware on this skippy build so no probs with firing up HYPER-V .

Latest Skippy build (so far) :

HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari) [​IMG]

Marking as solved working so thanks to everybody.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V question for probably Kari

Hi there
    quick question on HYPER-V

probably for @Kari as he's the undisputed champion of HYPER-V around here !!!

If I have a VM powered on under HYPER-V can I log off as the Windows user and still have people able to access the HYPER-V VM - assuming of course they have an account on the VM. I.e can the VM run as a background task where users can access it even though the primary W10 user has logged off.

I know this works with server editions of Windows but does it work with Windows 10 Pro for example. I just want after starting the VM for the Windows user to be able to log off while the VM still executes in the background and is acessible to other users over the network.

With VMWARE once the user on W10 Pro who powers on the VM logs off then it shuts down - that's a drawback for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

1. HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari) - Similar Threads - HYPER pass thru

2. Unable to use Wireless Headset thru Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to use Wireless Headset thru Hyper-V: HW: Laptop - IBM Thinkpad T470p Hyper-V Wireless Headset Jabra Pro 9450 other headset - Jabra GN9350 Issue: Unable to use the Jabra Pro 9450 headset with my current Laptop set up. Current set-up On my original set up, the Jabra GN9350 Headset, works flawlessly....
  3. Hyper-V questions

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V questions: In Hyper-V, is there any way to change NEWCOMP to a different name after it's already being used? [img] When I run one of the VMs it shows [img] which I don't like. 139498
  4. Hyper-V Questions

Hyper-V Questions: I've had windows 10 installed on my computer and was running some virtual machines with virtualbox. I heard hyper-v gets better performance, so I enabled it and created virtual machines. I understand that hyper-v is a type 1 hypervisor. Does this mean that since enabling...
  5. Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch: Hello, I'm trying to get networking working in a VM using the hyper-v default switch. Eventually I want to run a Linux image, but I'm starting with Windows 10 'dev environment' image to work things out. The Windows image starts, and thinks it has an up adapter, got the...
  6. HYPER-V question for probably Kari

HYPER-V question for probably Kari: Hi there quick question on HYPER-V probably for @Kari as he's the undisputed champion of HYPER-V around here !!! If I have a VM powered on under HYPER-V can I log off as the Windows user and still have people able to access the HYPER-V VM - assuming of course they have an...
  7. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  8. HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this

HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this: Hi there has anybody especially @Kari tried creating an ESXI VM on HYPER-V and then attaching VM's to the Esxi VM. I'd imagine if possible the response time would be quite good as Esxi is such a TINY OS. Running esxi as a VM would also get round some of its pickier...
  9. @Kari Hyper-V boot from USB / Micro SD card to load OS from SSD

@Kari Hyper-V boot from USB / Micro SD card to load OS from SSD: Hi there Specially question for Kari -- I've added an SSD to a Microserver (HP gen 8) to the ODD slot. The Bios of this server in AHCI mode only allows boot from USB/Micro SD card or HDD's in slot 1/2. I want all 4 HDD's as data disks so I was wondering if I could use GRUB...
  10. One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question

One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question: Hi there I see that although VMware and VBOX can't do it (they can use UEFI) it seems HYPER-V CAN create a level 2 (type 2) VM which can enable secure boot. I want to have a go with this on a W2012 Server HOST. Anything special needed for setting up the VM -- want to...