Windows 10: Hyper-V - question Linux Guest with RAID arrays

Discus and support Hyper-V - question Linux Guest with RAID arrays in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I'm gradually giving up on VMWare to go to HYPER-V. One issue I have is that if I create a Linux server VM I still want to use existing XFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 3, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hyper-V - question Linux Guest with RAID arrays

Hi there
    I'm gradually giving up on VMWare to go to HYPER-V.

One issue I have is that if I create a Linux server VM I still want to use existing XFS formatted HDD's on the Guest in RAID arrays. There's around 10 TB of space - and about 3 TB of data.

Is the HYPER-V system as Host robust enough to run say Ubuntu or Centos VM's with their native Linux formatted HDD's - that's no prob with VMware but googling around the advice seems to be don't use physical HDD's with HYPER-V.

I really don't want the whole exercise of converting these to VHD's - also the RAID system might hose up when done like that. (using Linux software RAID - mdadm - works efficiently every time and is a good performer).

Any ideas @Kari as I think he's the expert around here). I don't have a problem with creating the base VM's -- some of the pass thru stuff is a bit ???.

I don't need sound either but I do also need "Hot pluggable USB3 devices" -- Is that sufficiently robust as well - note these external HDD's are also xfs formatted so I just want to mount them on the Linux vm with standard mount/dev/sdx-t auto -o rw /mnt/shares or whatever.

Thanks

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 3, 2018
  2. untmdsprt Win User

How to get a Linux guest to work with Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V

I've got Hyper-V running on my Win10 Pro computer and am having trouble getting a Linux client to run. It will install fine, but keeps telling me that it's running in software emulation mode and not using the actual GPU. Here are my questions:

Does Linux need to be installed as a Gen 1 or 2 installation?

Can guest additions be installed or will it be permanently grayed out?

Are there certain Linux distros that work better than others in Hyper-V?

I have been using Virtualbox for the longest time and quite happy with it. That being said, I have a new job and need to learn the Microsoft way of virtualization as they use Hyper-V and Server 2008 or 2012. Yes I will be installing the trial versions of
    those two to learn them also.

Thanks.

untmdsprt, Sep 3, 2018
  3. s.kongrath, Sep 3, 2018
  4. BulldogXX Win User

BulldogXX, Sep 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper-V - question Linux Guest with RAID arrays - Similar Threads - Hyper question Linux

2. Credential Guard ON but not working in Hyper V guest.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credential Guard ON but not working in Hyper V guest.: I am running a Windows Server 2022 Standard Edition Eval Build 20348 in Hyper V on a Windows 11 22H2 host machine. Even after enabling Credential Guard, I can see the NTLM hash. What am I doing wrong?The following is the screenshot from System InformationFrom Device...
  3. Hyper-V questions

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V questions: In Hyper-V, is there any way to change NEWCOMP to a different name after it's already being used? [img] When I run one of the VMs it shows [img] which I don't like. 139498
  4. Hyper-V and Windows 10 Guest speed

Hyper-V and Windows 10 Guest speed: What are the best memory settings for a Windows 10 Guest on Hyper-V? 16 Gb of physical memory 127556
  5. Hyper-V Questions

Hyper-V Questions: I've had windows 10 installed on my computer and was running some virtual machines with virtualbox. I heard hyper-v gets better performance, so I enabled it and created virtual machines. I understand that hyper-v is a type 1 hypervisor. Does this mean that since enabling...
  6. Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem: I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine. My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires scroll bars. I go to display settings and it say laptop 12xx x 8xx (4:3) resolution, and no option to select 1366x768. I...
  7. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  8. Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network

Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network: I am running Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro and trying to install CentOS 6 on a VM. I define an external virtual switch, create a VM, specifying the use of the external virtual switch. I have 2 NICs on the host system, both with network access and internet access. The external...
  9. Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection

Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection: I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but is there any way to speed up my RDP connection to an openSUSE guest running locally under Hyper-V? I'm using a NAT vSwitch to provide it with both Internet and host connectivity and remote over the static IP is has on...
  10. HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ?

HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ?: Hi there Looking at nice fast SAS RAID stuff for the VM --any idea if it's possible to pass thru the RAID controller to the VM without Windows seeing it or the HDD's it will be attached to -- I want mega fast I/O so I want to use RAID 0 -- not worried about failure as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper v linux configure guest services