Windows 10: HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

Discus and support HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, May 12, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

Hi folks

particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!!

I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on the VM though but in theory should work.

- the trouble with the HYPER-V connection method is that in Non full screen mode the screen is too high and narrow and I can't get to say buttons which would normally be at the bottom of the screen and in full screen mode I can't get 1920X1080 but some smaller resolution.

Is there anyway of getting higher resolution by tampering with XORG or something -- there's no settings anywhere either on the server settings or the guest in the HYPER-V control settings for anything to do with video. Windows VM's are fine !!!!!! as you can adjust the video size (although again not via re-sizeable windows unfortunately.

Why Ms doesn't allow re-sizeable screens with this application just to me seems totally Bol---ks !!!.

I'd be quite happy to drop VMWare if I could get some sort of decent screen size on non Windows VM's !!! - I'm not worried about Sound etc from the VM and the attach disks works (simply offline the disk and then add it as a physical disk so one can use native Linux disks on the VM -- SAMBA and networking are fine. Although I use the VM as a server (multi-media and file server) I do need to use a GUI from time to time so a decent re-sizeable screen would be fine.

The performance on HYPER-V is good so it's just the wretched screen resolution that's putting me off.

Have suggested this to Ms in the feedback but I don't suppose they listen !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 12, 2019
  2. HP2294 Win User

Hyper-V host cannot RDP into local clients running in an internal network

I have installed Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine and are running a few different test machines on it. My test machines have two Nics -- One is disabled and primarily used when I need them to connect with the internet for various downloads etc. The other
    Nic is connected to an internal switch on the host with hardcoded IP's allowing the VMs to always communicate with each other.

My problem is when I attempt to RDP into the VMs from the host machine I am not able to reach them. IF I log into the machines first through the Hyper-V console and toggle a Nic (i.e. disable/enable one of the nics) I am able to RDP into the VM until it
    is rebooted again (My host is a laptop so they are being shutdown nightly).

I did mess around with the network settings on a previous setup and had it working -- but I am unable to reproduce the same settings. Currently the host is all "auto" setup by the system with three switches:

• External linked to my Wireless Nic
    • External Linked to my Physical Nic
    • Internal switch used for the VM's communicate amongst each other
    Any ideas on what network settings I am missing that will allow me to connect to the VM's instantly through an RDP connection? (I can console connect but prefer using RDCMan).

Thanks,

HP

HP2294, May 12, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp.

I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to show host drives in the VM and this works fine.

If I remote connect to Host using Splashtop, I can see the Host drives in the Hyper-V vm.

However, if I remote connect to Host using RDP, the Hyper-V vm does not display the Host drives.

I can see them indirectly as networks shares but any idea why I cannot see them directly (tclient) when using RDP?

EDIT: I have just realised same happens if you just RDP from Host to VM i.e. not remotely connecting to Host. I am guessing that RDP probably only connects as a basic session? Having said that I can still hear sound ok, so it cannot be that simple.

As an aside, when I use a network share in vm to copy data from/to host rather than the enhanced session drives (tclient) as above, it is nearly 10 times faster. It has always been faster by 2 or 3 times for me but with FCU, network shares blitz almost as fast as copying just on host now *Smile.

cereberus, May 12, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Get access to VM machine on Hyper-V from login screen of Host PC

Hi Steven,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to get access to the VM machine on Hyper-V from the login screen of the host PC. However, as you are using Hyper-V and VM, I suggest you to post your query in

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Hyper-V and VM’s.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 12, 2019
Thema:

1. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host - Similar Threads - HYPER RDP same

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  4. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  5. RDP to Win7 Enterprise VM (uses RemoteFX) on Windows 10 Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    RDP to Win7 Enterprise VM (uses RemoteFX) on Windows 10 Hyper-V: Hey guys just a quick question Just wanna ask how i would connect to my Win7 VM that uses RemoteFX on my Win10 physical machine. I can't seem to figure it out cause i know nothing about it, but i really wanted to use a VM just to separate parts of my work. I have added...
  6. Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.: Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp. I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to show host drives in the VM and this works fine. If I remote connect to Host using Splashtop, I can see the Host drives in...
  7. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
  8. HYPER-V Exclusive mode -- stop Host messages appearing on VM

HYPER-V Exclusive mode -- stop Host messages appearing on VM: Hi there Is it possible to stop messages from the HOST being sent to the VM when using HYPER-V and VM on same LOCAL machine -- i.e possible to "emulate" VMWARE's "Exclusive mode" where a user can be prevented from switching out of full screen and back to Host system. User...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!

HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!: Hi there Trying to install programs while connected via RDP (the normal way of accessing your HYPER-V VM remotely). Cannot install programs. This seems a bit daft - I can't always be at the console of the HOST machine - I usually access VM's remotely anyway. cheers...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rdcman hyper-v

2. rdp to hyper-v vm

3. windows rdp for hyper v

4. hyper-v connect to VM with rdp,
  5. how to rdp to a vm on the same machine,
  6. is it possible to connect to a hyper v session from the host,
  7. hyper-V enable RDS to Vm from host 2016,
  8. rdp to hyperv vm has differnet user,
  9. make xrdp hyper-v listen externally,
  10. Unable to login to Hyper-V via machine via RDP and then console however directly RDP works fine,
  11. rdp from VM to my logged in user in host,
  12. rdp to hyper-v on laptop