Windows 10: Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

Discus and support Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NKV_ask, Feb 18, 2022.

1. NKV_ask Win User

Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree" vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?and if not, what is the difference between them

:)

NKV_ask, Feb 18, 2022
  2. Oz2019 Win User

Hyper-V 2019 Checkpoint Operations fails after a day

We backup our Hyper-V 2019/16 servers containing couple of virtual machines, with Unitrend backup system, which requires checkpoints to be able to back the VM's. When we tested to create checkpoint, it would give the error "An error occured while attempting
    to checkpoint the selected virtual machines. The operation cannot be performend while the object is in use". When we check the logs we get the following Event ID: 19100, 18012, 18014.
    Normally when we reboot the Hyper-V servers , we are able to create checkpoints for a day or so after which the same issue recurs.

We have used ICACLS to grant the "NT Virtual Machine" user of each VM full access, and ensured that the VHD files and checkpoints are in the same folder. We also ovserved that the .avhdx files which are created would remain and are not able to automatically
    get merged to the parend .vhdx file.

This is happening al all our Hyper-V 2019 servers which are part of a domain.

Oz2019, Feb 18, 2022
  3. Kari Win User
    Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10  

PowerShell really is a nice tool to be used with Hyper-V.

I see you had used default checkpoint names. I like to rename mine to better remember to what point any checkpoint takes me.

Earlier today I recorded video to be sent to Macrium support. I've had contact with them because an issue with Macrium Reflect CBT and Image Guardian features; they simply break OneDrive Files on Demand feature (OD FOD) in Insider builds 17035 and 17040. To demonstrate it I clean installed W10 on a VM, then reproduced the issue creating checkpoint after each step:

Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups [​IMG]

I like doing it so, making a relatively short video now by applying checkpoints one after another, capturing those few seconds from that step I want to show, then applying next checkpoint and so on.

Renaming checkpoints with descriptive names tells me exactly which checkpoint I need to / want to apply.

4. GalaxyGe Win User

Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10  

Hi Kari,

actually I do this similarly. Just, I like to keep the date/time in name as it is not otherwise shown in Hyper-V Manager.

So I always create my checkpoints with generated name and then just append some description in Hyper-V Manager.

Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups [​IMG]

Like here in Ubuntu, where I've kept track of nearly every step installing stuff on it... sorry just my paranoia *Wink as I'm a somewhat dummy in Linux.

Gerhard

GalaxyGe, Feb 18, 2022
Thema:

1. Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups - Similar Threads - Hyper replication checkpoints

2. Hyper V Checkpoint Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Checkpoint Error: Hi,We are using Veeam to backup our Virtual machine and recently we moved VM's to another server ever since then we are not able to backup those VMs. I contacted Veeam support and they said it's a error related to Checkpoint since VMs is giving error when creating manual...
  3. Hyper V Checkpoint Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Checkpoint Error: Hi,We are using Veeam to backup our Virtual machine and recently we moved VM's to another server ever since then we are not able to backup those VMs. I contacted Veeam support and they said it's a error related to Checkpoint since VMs is giving error when creating manual...
  4. Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V replication vs checkpoints vs backups: forgive my basic question, but I need you to elaborate on it in a simplified way.Are Hyper-V replication, checkpoints, and backups the same thing just like "apple tree" vs "apple", "apple pit", "garden of apple tree"?and if not, what is the difference between them...
  5. Hyper-v replication speed is slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-v replication speed is slow: Hello. We are using Windows server 2019 with the latest updates. We have two servers .On the first name 1 we have several virtual machines running through Hyper-v. We have set up replication of these machines to a second server name2. Everything is working successfully, but...
  6. Hyper-v replication speed is slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-v replication speed is slow: Hello. We are using Windows server 2019 with the latest updates. We have two servers .On the first name 1 we have several virtual machines running through Hyper-v. We have set up replication of these machines to a second server name2. Everything is working successfully, but...
  7. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  8. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains: I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more experience over the years using VMWare Workstation (ESX too) as well as VirtualBox. I thought I would give Hyper-V another go...
  9. Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files: Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager? I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...