Windows 10: HYPER-V run VM in background question

Discus and support HYPER-V run VM in background question in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there @Kari (sorry but you seem to be the acknowleged expert in this) If I have a HYPER-V VM running but I want to sign out (not logoff just sign... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 5, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V run VM in background question

Hi there
    @Kari (sorry but you seem to be the acknowleged expert in this)

If I have a HYPER-V VM running but I want to sign out (not logoff just sign out as a particular user) of Windows (the HOST) can the VM still run in background mode so other people can log on to it or does the VM automatically go into "suspend" or sleep mode.

With VMware (at least in WKS) there's an option to run VM's in the background with no GUI (the VM program not the VM itself) and you can then remotely SSH into them.

for example on a Windows Host :

vmrun -T ws start C:\export\vmware\rh5\server.vmx nogui (or wherever your VM config file is located).

Ideally this is why a server would do -- but Windows 2019 server is far too expensive an option for just a home computer lab. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2019
  2. DMACUK Win User

Hyper-V VM

With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine?

DMACUK, Apr 5, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Unassign Hyper V VM with deleted User account

Hyper V is not assigned based on user accounts.

Hyper V is a server feature that allows you to create VMs but they are not assigned to users.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are referring to?

And then share on a cloud drive and post link here for me to look at?

Also what are the steps you are doing to "assign" the VM to another User?

SarahKong, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Schism082 Win User

No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, I have Windows 10 Enterprise and just added Hyper-V. I had 3 VM's on VMware Player and deleted and uninstalled Player. I have 3 Vm's on Hyper-V. My problem is I get no Internet on my Vm's. I am new to Hyper-V and would like to know how to connect these
    to the internet. I have "Virtual switch (automatic)" selected. They show no connections available in the VM's. How do I connect to the internet? (I'm on wifi.) I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks

HYPER-V run VM in background question a5a649f6-ec4d-4915-ad8b-d1e2d2a5cafa.png

Schism082, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

1. HYPER-V run VM in background question - Similar Threads - HYPER run background

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. 2 Questions about VM's on HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    2 Questions about VM's on HYPER-V: Hi HYPER-V experts I'm still unclear if this is possible on VM's using HYPER-V. 1) Can the VM still be accessed remotely if there's nobody logged in to the Windows system -- or even if the account currently logged on has the keyboard locked. 2) can the VM be started...
  5. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  6. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM: I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization. I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license Does it need...
  7. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  10. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...