Windows 10: HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote

Discus and support HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; funny thing is I can create the VM now on the HYPER-V server but PING still fails !!!! Not really funny. Ping response is disabled by default on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lx07, Apr 5, 2018.

1. lx07 Win User

HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote

Not really funny. Ping response is disabled by default on firewall of all server SKUs and that is a fairly sensible thing to do if you think about it.

You can enable it with netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    I'm trying to create a VM on a HYPER-V 2016 server system.

The HYPER-V server installed OK, network seems working and gives IP address 192.168.1.12 and all the DNS stuff seems fine so networking should be OK and enabled remote access on both W10 and the server.

now trying to connect to server from Windows using the HYPER-V management console on W10.

Can't connect -- also windows Ping fails

any idea what's wrong here - I'd love to get this working. Have I missed something that needs to be done after install.

screen shot

HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2018
  3. Why is Hyper-V-Manager consuming so much bandwidth?

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your support.

The setup is quite simple:

• The Hyper-V Server is a Root-Server in the Internet (not in a domain). It is only managed by myself (whatever that means HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote :) )
    • The server is a "Hyper-V Server 2016" (see e.g. Microsoft Evaluation Center)
    • My Notebook connect's via Server Manager (This connection uses 8 kBit/se or less on average)
    • When I open Hyper-V (via the Server Manager) it uses 500kBit/s permanently, without even connecting to a VM. Just listing the VMs on the server.

Michael

wallenstein0961, Apr 6, 2018
  4. RFT OB1 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, Apr 6, 2018
  5. Kari Win User
    Remote management must be enabled both on Hyper-V host (server) and client (local machine you use to connect to host). Try executing this cmdlet on an elevated PowerShell:

Enable-PSRemoting

Notice that it must be run, remote management enabled, on both server and client.

Kari, Apr 6, 2018
  6. Kari Win User
    Kari, Apr 6, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @Kari

The problem was I was trying to activate the server from a Windows VM running under vmware - the vmware program (vmware workstation) wasn't the issue but I couldn't get any vm services as the VM said "can't activate service as not "VT" enabled.

In machine config (on the remote W10 system) set the "advanced" config to allow VT emulation and it connects fine now.

I suppose I should really test the remote system from a normal physical W10 machine rather than running from a VM (although if it were a VM created on HYPER-V should be OK).

funny thing is I can create the VM now on the HYPER-V server but PING still fails !!!! never had that before. Could be firewalls or whatever. Still not bothering with that issue though. So I'll mark as solved.

Using the HYPER-V server is much better for the VM's -- they work really well - I'm only using for file serving so "bells and whistles" like sound I don't need since things like multi-media I can play on remote TV etc with KODI etc -- I just need the shared files. I tried Esxi but it didn't like my network stuff so I'll stick with HYPER-V server -- you don't need a GUI on the machine with the VM's on it - what would be nice though if starting and stopping VM's could be done from a Phone. (Probably too much spare time this weekend !!).

Note with LINUX VM's you get hugely enhanced I/O rates if you pass phsysical HDD's to them and use the Linux software RAID system - even on slower HDD's. RAID 0 speeds things up hugely - although of course if any 1 Disk in the array fails then you lose the whole kybosh -- HDD's though are reasonably reliable these days and I have plenty of backup.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2018
Thema:

1. HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote - Similar Threads - HYPER Server 2016

2. problems configure connecting remote to hyper v server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problems configure connecting remote to hyper v server: Hey Guys,iam a trainee in IT in my second year and for the next half year of my traineship. So next half year i try to learn as much as possible about windows client/server. I set up a BareMetal-Hyper-Visor with Hyper V 2019 and now wanna connect to it remotley with my...
  3. problems configure connecting remote to hyper v server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems configure connecting remote to hyper v server: Hey Guys,iam a trainee in IT in my second year and for the next half year of my traineship. So next half year i try to learn as much as possible about windows client/server. I set up a BareMetal-Hyper-Visor with Hyper V 2019 and now wanna connect to it remotley with my...
  4. Hyper V Killing server Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Killing server Storage: We are using windows server 2019 in our data center as Hyper V Host server. we have 5 guest server in Hyper V, all the hyper V data is in D drive, now we are having an issue with storage, everyday the drive increasing 5 GB and we have only 40 GB free Space. can anyone advice...
  5. Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch: Hi, I am setting a virtual machine under Hyper-V. I have been setting up Hyper-V virtual machines but on a desktop computer and everything ran perfectly, network too. It is my first time working on a hosted server. The host is a Dell Poweredge C6100 server, Intel...
  6. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016: I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as...
  7. Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016

Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016: Have this weird problem recently. Can't access some sites in Windows Server 2012R2 and Server 2016 VM, on Hyper-V, via the Default Switch(NAT). And the sites it can access, like google.com and facebook.com , are taking time to load. This issue is only with these two...
  8. Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10

Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10: Hi, I'm performing initial testing with Hyper-V on an Hp DL360 gen 10 server. The first ethernet port is in use by the main Win 2016 OS installed on the server. I'd like to use one of the 3 available ethernet ports to act as the network/internet connect for the Hyper-V...
  9. Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers: I'm trying to get remote printers to work over shared remote desktop sessions on Windows Server 2016. They were working before, now they are not, and they continue to reset themselves after I set them up. Before the remote laptops connecting were Windows 7 Pro machines, now...
  10. Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016: Hi there @ I can't answer your specific questions on HYPER-V but I know all about "Breaking Netflix" - even the Dog starts barking madly. !!!! I don't think there's any major problem to having a server on a home LAN (I have 2 Linux servers on a LAN plus a whole slew of...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. connecting to hyperv server 2016 windows 10

2. connecting to hyper-v server 2016

3. Cannot connect to Hyper-V ServerCore 2016?

4. cannot ping vm from laptop server 2016,
  5. hyper-vm windows 2016 server not connecting to network,
  6. after instal hperv do not ping any computer,
  7. Do not permit hyperv server to be removed,
  8. remote desktop could not connect to hyper v server,
  9. i cannot ping from hyper v vm in 2016,
  10. hyper-v video remoting was disconnected,
  11. vide remoting was disconnected,
  12. remotely connecting to hyper v server 2016,
  13. from a Virtual machine i cannot ping my server 2016 on the host,
  14. remotely conect to firewall hyperv 2016,
  15. hyper-v VM cant ping server