Windows 10: Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running

Discus and support Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running VMs for class on Windows 10 Pro using Hyper-V. While the VM is running it doesn't matter whether I can browse the internet on the regular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RedDogRising, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running

I'm running VMs for class on Windows 10 Pro using Hyper-V.

While the VM is running it doesn't matter whether I can browse the internet on the regular machine as long as the VM can do it.

However, when I turn the VM off entirely and shut down Hyper-V, my wifi continues to be impacted by the switch. The other day it shut down my wireless adapter entirely saying that the virtual switch was not configured correctly. I opened Hyper-V and deleted the switch and now the computer works fine.

I still need the switch though, for any further labs I have for class.

My questions are:

1. Why does the virtual switch continue to run when the VM and Hyper-V are both closed?

2. Do I need to make a virtual switch every time I run a VM and then delete it afterward so it has no impact on my personal wifi?

3. If I were to make a separate local account on my computer, will the virtual switch on that account affect the wifi adapter on all of my local accounts?

:)

RedDogRising, Oct 28, 2019
  2. Schism082 Win User

No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, I have Windows 10 Enterprise and just added Hyper-V. I had 3 VM's on VMware Player and deleted and uninstalled Player. I have 3 Vm's on Hyper-V. My problem is I get no Internet on my Vm's. I am new to Hyper-V and would like to know how to connect these
    to the internet. I have "Virtual switch (automatic)" selected. They show no connections available in the VM's. How do I connect to the internet? (I'm on wifi.) I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks

Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running a5a649f6-ec4d-4915-ad8b-d1e2d2a5cafa.png

Schism082, Oct 28, 2019
  3. Schism082 Win User
    No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, thanks for the reply. I got internet working. I had to create a wifi connection in "Virtual Switch Manager" and then go to the settings for each of my 2 VM's and tell it to use the wifi connection I created. Along the way I had to tell it to "share"
    connection with the Host. One of the VM's has a problem connecting and disconnecting but I will work on that and figure it out. If anyone has this problem try searching the internet and youtube has good videos explaining how to setup Internet in Hyper-V Manager.

Schism082, Oct 28, 2019
  4. DMACUK Win User

Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running

Hyper-V VM

With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine?

DMACUK, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running

1. Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running - Similar Threads - Hyper Switch Impacting

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch: Hello,I frequently make VM's with hyper-v either to test things, or just for convenience's sake. usually with windows on them as well.But recently, any VM's I make or have previously made can't connect to the internet at all. I usually just use the "default switch", but that...
  4. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  5. Hyper-V VM is stuck on Identifying... No Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM is stuck on Identifying... No Internet: PC SPECS & INFO ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm on Windows 10 Pro using Wi-Fi not Ethernet Cable Build 1909 16 GB Ram VM INFO & ISSUE...
  6. HYPER-V run VM in background question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V run VM in background question: Hi there @Kari (sorry but you seem to be the acknowleged expert in this) If I have a HYPER-V VM running but I want to sign out (not logoff just sign out as a particular user) of Windows (the HOST) can the VM still run in background mode so other people can log on to it or...
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet: When I was at build 10074 I had Hyper-V working and the Virtual Machine (also at build 10130 but several days before the host upgraded) had LAN and internet access. After the upgrade to 10130 the VM can see the host on in the Network, but not the internet. Network adn...
  10. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...