Windows 10: Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Discus and support Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by 2Bold4MyOwnGood, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS.

Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO to a thumb drive. I did not perform the verification steps on the downloaded file.

I then installed/enabled Hyper-V in 'R' according to tenforums.com/tutorials/2087-hyper-v.... That appeared to go properly. I then installed Ubuntu, and that too appeared to go properly. So, I now have the following:

R contains:

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error [​IMG]

in which the folders JOB and WindowsApps are empty. Virtual Machine -Ubuntu 10.04 contains the folders Virtual Hard Disks and Virtual Machines. Virtual hard Disks contains one file UBUNTU 10.04 VIRTUAL MACHINE Virtual Hard disk. Virtual Machines contains one folder and 2 files with system assigned names all beginning 4CA86814-BAD8-437D-A7c7-OE40A999...

My hyper-V Manager screen shows:

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error [​IMG]

Then, in the Hyper-V Manager screen - on the right side under UBUNTU 10.04 VIRTUAL MACHINE I clicked 'connect...' which produced the unexpected (by me - you experts probably already know where I've gone wrong). Hmm, that's interesting - I'm unable to copy the window/screen to the clipboard and display it here. The screen is headed Hyper-V - subtitled: Virtual Machine Boot Summary. It says:

1. SCSI DVD (0,1) The image's hash and certificates are not allowed (DB).
    2. Network Adaptor (00155D909800) DHCP failed.
    3. SCSI Disk (0,0) No UEFI-compatible file system was found.

No operating system was loaded. Press a key to retry sequence...
    Note: Configuration changes may require the virtual machine to be reset.

So, I ask and bless you priests of virtual realms to set me on the enlightened path to the door of entry.

:)

2Bold4MyOwnGood, Dec 23, 2016

2. Can I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same drive without partitioning

That sounds like a much better option, or you can also use cygwin or something.

Ubuntu in a VM
    such as
    Hyper-V
    is also an option if you need the actual OS.

RobertJWin, Dec 23, 2016
  3. Is it possible to install Linux in a Windows virtual Machine?

Absolutely possible (in fact easy) to Install most Linux distro's in Hyper-v. I have Ubuntu and OPEsuse running on this PC. BTW Hyper-v and most linux distro's are free.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 23, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

You have created a 2nd generation vm, emulating a UEFI based system. Extract from the tutorial:

Ubuntu needs and only runs on a 1st generation vm (legacy BIOS). Generation 1 is also the default when creating a new vm, in other words you have deliberately changed the vm generation to wrong one causing this issue.

5. Kari,

Thanks. I reinstalled it as you indicated - had to play with memory size allocations to get it started. Ubuntu is now running in my virtual machine. I'm a happy *Biggrin guy - probably gonna be a lot of confusion *Confused down my W10P/Virtual/Linux/Ubuntu road from being a casual XP user - gonna learn some CAD skills too.

Thanks again
    Jim

2Bold4MyOwnGood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

1. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error - Similar Threads - Hyper Ubuntu Installation

2. How to install Linux Ubuntu on Hyper-V in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Linux Ubuntu on Hyper-V in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]There are multiple ways to try any Linux distribution on Windows 11 or Windows 10 computers. However, Hyper-V is the native virtual machine app that you can use to install Linux Ubuntu on your PC. As it is a virtual machine app, your hardware must support...
  3. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  4. Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu: I already quit trying to use a bridge and now letting the DHCP supply the IP, but everytime I boot the machine the DHCP gives me a new IP. Is possible to "fix" this random range or is there any real way to make it get fixed? The virtual switch configuration dont presents any...
  5. Hyper-V Memory Error on Ubuntu Guest OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Memory Error on Ubuntu Guest OS: I get an error when I run Linux Ubuntu on Hyper-V saying I need more memory to run it. What does it mean and how do I fix it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-memory-error-on-ubuntu-guest-os/64f2c32c-feba-44d4-a1ac-ec15566041e2"
  6. Error 0xc0000428 when install in Hyper-V

Error 0xc0000428 when install in Hyper-V: Trying to install W10 in Hyper-V with W8.1 pro as host. Keep getting this error, but a search reveals fixes for the error only on installed OSes. This wasn't happening previously. Any ideas??? . 31563
  7. Error when installing Hyper-V

Error when installing Hyper-V: I thought I would try out Hyper-V for the first time ever. However I'm getting an error message when installing it. [img] 17535
  8. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  9. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  10. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper v ubuntu install error

2. ubuntu installation vbox errors hyperv