Windows 10: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Discus and support Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thanks for the quick reply! It sort of figures that the next thing I try fixes my problem. What I did was uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ThrashZone, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Thanks for the quick reply! It sort of figures that the next thing I try fixes my problem. What I did was uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) in the properties of the network connection. Then I created the virtual switch and everything worked as it should.

alkaufmann, Oct 5, 2014
  2. Kari Win User

Good to know you got it sorted out *Smile.

3. A few questions:

1) Can the Connection bar be permanently unpinned?
    I can unpin it and it is hidden until I mouse near the the top of he window - that's great.
    The next time I start the VM, I have to unpin it - is there a Hyper-V setting that controls this? All I could find were references to Remote Desktop. I'll keep looking, but thought I'd ask here.
    Can't post a screenshot - the connection bar isn't captured. It's the blue bar identifying the VM on the host at the top of the full screen VM.

2) Win7 Home Premium is a lousy guest. It does not have integration services *Sad
    I tried to fool it by installing the integration services from Virtual PC on my Win7 Hyper-V but Win7 complained about it being installed outside of Virtual PC. I might try loading the Virtual PC integrations services though the vDVD for Win7.
    I'm probably just banging my head against the wall on this due to my Win7 being Home Premium. Any thoughts or first hand experience are welcome.

The host and two Hyper-V machines are running surprisingly well on this laptop with 6 GB ram.

I'll try adding a third - Linux Mint Mate.

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 7, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Sorry I do not understand what you mean with "Connection Bar". Could you please explain more, maybe a screenshot?

I'll install Home premium and test, will come back with possible findings.

Linux Mint is a bit tricky Hyper-V guest, will add a tut later. Try CentOS, runs fully integrated (Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10) in Hyper-V, or Ubuntu which also runs very well as guest, below an Ubuntu Hyper-V guest shown used from my Windows 10 host over Remote Desktop Connection to utilize full screen on secondary display (changing resolution of Linux guests in Virtual Machine Connection is if not impossible but bloody difficult!):

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 [​IMG]

5. Kari Win User
    Tested Seven Home Premium in Hyper-V (one of the first times ever I have installed a Home edition!), it runs OK but as you said without integration services. As it is not officially supported Hyper-V guest (Seven Pro or better, Eight and later, Server 2012 and later are supported) that is quite logical.

6. The connection bar *Arrow It's the blue bar identifying the VM on the host at the top of the full screen VM.
    Select the Hyper-V view -> full screen to see it.

Thought I might be able to grab a screen shot with Ctrl-Alt-PrScn, but nope - the Connection Bar is not picked up in that or Snipping tool. I could draw it for you if you'd like *Smile

Thanks again, I'll try one of the Linux you suggested.

I'm really enjoying this (Win8, Win10, Hyper-v), but I'll need to buy more memory if I keep adding machines and concurrently run them.

Have you found a good use for the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection?
    It requires elevated privileges on my machine and all it seems to do is connect to an existing VM.
    I can do a lot more with the Hyper-V Manager

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 8, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    OK, now I got it. You can pin the connection bar or hide it, click the pin button to hide the bar, bring pointer on top of the windows to show it again when hidden and click the pin button again to keep connection bar visible:

Virtual Machine Connection (VMC) is the program to play (run) your virtual machines. When you launch a vm from Hyper-V Manager, it opens the vm on VMC by default:

You run your virtual machines locally using VMC this way or over the Remote Desktop Connection (RDP).

Within your network, you can run any vm located on any Hyper-V server using the separate VMC app. In that case you launch the VMC app on the computer you are using to connect to a VMC server in your network:

A personal subjective opinion: I find the VMC quite useless, I use RDP to connect both to local (on the same computer) and network virtual machines.

Using RDP is easy.

Allow remote connections on your virtual machine, boot the vm from Hyper-V Manager without opening the VMC window for it:

When the manager shows the vm is up and running, open RDP, give the vm computer name or IP and connect:

Click Use Another Account if the default account shown on top is one not existing on the vm:

Give the username as VM_COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME, in my case in this example AGM-W10VM01\, give the password, click OK:

Accept the firewall warning:

You are connected:

8. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Thanks,

Basically, you're saying to start the VM in Hyper-V but connect through RDP.
    Good details on how it's done.

I think Hyper-V connects through background RDP services anyway, but it's interesting that sound works using RDP to connect instead of Hyper-V

Slartybart, Oct 8, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    Using the VMC to connect you do not get all host resources.

With RDP remember the basic rules. Talking about your Hyper-V virtual machines and Hyper-V host computer, all this apply:

• Your Hyper-V host is the RDP client
    • Your Hyper-V guest vm is RDP host
    • Any edition of Windows can act as the RDP client (computer you use to connect to another computer over RDP)
    • Only Professional /Business and better editions (Vista / 7) and Pro and Enterprise editions (8 or later) can be RDP host (computer you connect to from another computer over RDP)
    Ergo: You can use Windows 7 Home Premium to connect remotely over RDP to Windows 8 Pro but not the other way around because Home Premium cannot host a remote session, cannot be an RDP host.

EDIT:

Screenshots to show what the above means. I have Windows 10 Tech preview and Windows 7 Home Premium virtual machines running. Using the 7 Home Premium RDP client I can connect to 10 Tech Preview without issues:

But from 10 Tech Preview as RDP client I cannot connect to 7 Home Premium because Home Premium cannot host a remote session:

10. smalltalk Win User
    Is there a way to import a VMWare VM?

smalltalk, Oct 25, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    Although I have personally never done it as I do not use VMware, I know it is possible. There are several converters available which can take a VMware VDMK file and convert it to VHD to be used in Hyper-V.

12. Kari; the tutorial is great and easy to follow. I am having problems with the message about hypervisor not running I am using a Dell Optiplex 760 with Intel E6500 processor. VT-x is turned on. I had been running windows 10 TR and vmplayer 7.0 all was fine. then decided to try your tutorial and so I installed TR 9841 and so far I cannot get to the point of installing the vm machine. When I set up the vm I chose to let it set everything up. then when I go to start I get the error about the hypervisor not running.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Jan 2, 2015
  13. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Problem solved this morning.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Jan 3, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    I saw your both posts only now, about the issue and that you have solved it. Would be nice to know how you solved the Hypervisor issue?

15. I saw your both posts only now, about the issue and that you have solved it. Would be nice to know how you solved the Hypervisor issue?

Kari late last night after trying to set up a vm without an operating system I saw an error about not having second level addressing or processing?
    Since this is an older Dell and I had replaced the processor to get VT-x I assumed that this was another requirement not present in the Intel E6500 processor.
    Larry.

shipinomore10, Jan 3, 2015
Thema:

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

1. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hyper virtualization Setup

2. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  3. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  4. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  5. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  6. Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?

Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?: Greetings. I set up Hyper-V in my Win 10 Anniversary install and created a Win 10 Virtual Machine which is fully activated. I tried setting up a picture password for this VM. The Picture Password option was not available but I got it to show using gpedit. I then set a...
  7. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...
  8. Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO: How to: Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO [img] Information To run a Windows Insider version of Windows 10, your PC does not have to be opted in for Insider builds. It's enough to have one machine opted in, use it to get Insider build upgrade and...
  9. Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
  10. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
Tags: