Windows 10: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

Discus and support Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Note A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by adamf, Oct 22, 2014.

1. adamf Win User

Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note A working and quite nice alternative for dual booting is to install various operating systems on a virtual machine. CentOS is officially supported by Microsoft as a guest OS for Hyper-V and is nicely integrated when installed. Since CentOS version 6.4 the Linux Integration Services (LIS) for Hyper-V have been included in CentOS, making the use of it on a virtual machine much easier.

About LIS:

Linux Integration Services v35.pdf

Although there are more suitable Linux distos for beginners, CentOS is easy enough to install and use with very basic knowledge of Linux. The native integration components and services make it an ideal guest for Hyper-V.

CentOS on Wikipedia: CentOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Before starting you need to download the CentOS 7 ISO image: Download CentOS (version 7 is the latest at the moment this tutorial is written).

Contents:

Part One [/i] Create a new virtual machine
    1.1) If you have not set up Hyper-V do it now as told in Hyper-V tutorial Part One through Part Three
    1.2) Create a new virtual machine as told in Hyper-V tutorial Part Four with following settings (steps here referring to respective steps in Hyper-V tutorial):

• Step 4.5 > If you have less than 4 GB RAM on your host, assign the vm 1 GB (1024 MB) and unselect Use Dynamic Memory. When Dynamic Memory is enabled CentOS uses quite a lot of RAM and can slow down your host system. I recommend enabling Dynamic Memory only if you have more than 4 GB of RAM
    • Step 4.6 > Select Not Connected
    • Step 4.7 > If you will only use your CentOS for some simple testing, surfing and so on, an 8 to 10 GB virtual hard disk is enough, I recommend 20 to 30 GB
    • Step 4.8 > Use the CentOS ISO file you downloaded
    • Come back to this tutorial after Step 4.9

Part Two [/i] Configure temporary network access
    2.1) To be sure CentOS has network connection during the installation we use a virtual legacy network adapter. Right click your new CentOS vm in Hyper-V Manager and select Settings
    2.2) Remove the network adapter:

2.3) Still in vm settings, select Add Hardware on left pane, select Legacy Network Adapter and click Add:

2.4) Select an existing external switch, click OK to save changed settings:

Part Three [/i] Configure CentOS
    3.1) Double click your CentOS vm in Hyper-V Manager to open the Virtual Machine Connection window, click Start button to boot the vm. Alternative method to start a vm, see the Hyper-V tutorial Part Four Step 4.10

3.2) Press I (letter i) followed by Enter to start setup:

3.2) First message you will get is an error message: Fast TSC calibration failed. No worries this is totally OK; as CentOS has not had any chance to connect to time servers to calibrate time, this message will be shown. CentOS setup continues after a short while
    3.3) Select the installation language you want CentOS to use:

3.4) Installation Summary screen will be shown. We need to do something for those five items marked in below screenshot, starting with Network & Hostname (#1). Click it to enter Network and Hostname settings:

3.5) Switch connection ON (#1), name your Host (#2), wait until you see that it's connected (green highlight in screenshot), click Done:

Note The Hostname can only contain characters a to z, A to Z, 0 to 9, hyphens (-) and periods (.). Parts between two periods must contain something (two periods in a row not allowed) and cannot start or end with a hyphen.
    3.6) Back on Installation Summary page click Date & Time to select your region, set timezone and time format as shown in screenshot below, click Done (top left) when done:

3.7) If you use another input language (keyboard layout) than the default for the language you are installing, click Keyboard on Installation Summary page. Select your input language as shown in screenshot (don't panic, I'll explain all those arrows and numbers Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 :)):

1. Click the + button to open language list
    2. Select your desired input language
    3. Click Add
    4. Move your preferred input language to top of the list with arrow buttons
    5. Click Done
    3.8) Back on Installation Summary page, select Software Selection. You can of course select any setup you want to, screenshot shows my recommnedation. Click Done when you have selected your packages:

3.9) Once again back on Installation Summary. Click Installation Destination, accept default partitioning settings by clicking Done:

Part Four [/i] Install CentOS, create users
    4.1) Start installation by clicking Begin Installation:

4.2) While CentOS installs we can set the root password and create a user account. Root in world of Linux is a rough equivalent of built-in administrator in Windows, the almighty user allowed to do whatever. The root password and at least one user account must be created for installation to complete.
    4.3) Click Root Password:

4.4) Set the root password, click Done when ready:

4.5) Next your personal user account. Click User Creation:

4.6) Enter your preferred credentials, do not forget to make your account administrator (highlighted), click Done when ready:

4.7) Now just wait installation to complete. It can take some time, installing now to get screenshots for this tutorial it took over half an hour on quite a powerful host computer, mostly because all the packages I selected to install (Part Three Step 3.8). When installation is done click Reboot:

4.8) After the reboot you have to accept the EULA. Click License Information:

4.9) Accept the EULA, click Done:

4.10) Click Finish Configuration:

4.11) Kdump is a program to collect information in case of crash. It can help in analyzing crashes but requires some of system memory. I recommend enabling Kdump but the decision is yours. Click Forward when you made your selection:

4.12) When finally on desktop you don't have network connectivity. To fix this we need first to shutdown the vm:

4.13) Wait until the shutdown progress indicator is all green and shutdown succeeded, then open vm settings from File > Settings:

Part Five [/i] Configure network access
    5.1) In vm settings, select the Legacy Network Adapter we set up in Part Two and click Remove:

5.2) Select Add Hardware > Network Adapter (not the Legacy adapter we used earlier!), click Add:

5.3) Select the Network Adapter you just added, connect it to an existing external switch (see Hyper-V tutorial Part Three), click OK to save the settings:

Part Six [/i] Enjoy!

Boot the vm, enjoy your newly installed CentOS Linux Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 :).

If you have any questions do not hesitate to post them in this thread.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

adamf, Oct 22, 2014

2. Cannot turn off Hyper V, cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMWare machines

hyper v with vm ware trying to run centos? just to clarify...

by the way im stil using centos6, is 7 good?

Yuri Nathan, Oct 22, 2014
  3. R. Naams Win User
    Hyper-V losing network after adding CPU cores

I am using Hyper-V on Windows 10 with an CentOS 7 client. When I add one or more cores to the VM always loses the network connection.

Why do I lose the network connection?

I reinstalled the VM with the same result.

When I return to 1 core, the network is back again.

R. Naams, Oct 22, 2014
  4. Cliff S New Member

@Kari I have it up and running*Biggrin

The installation is a tiny bit more involved than Ubuntu or Windows, but, your tutorial brought me through unscathed*Thumbs
    I'm letting it update first now, then I will sync Firefox to get my add-ons and settings set for that, then I'll explore the OS a bit. I chose the Gnome desktop as I like it better personally. I like how I can also choose which packages for a desktop to install or not install, to keep space reduced to just what I need(for example I won't need office stuff)
    Only problem I have is I cannot find a way for Restricted Extras(they're codecs as in Ubuntu Restricted Extras, as flash won't play and some other codecs, be they web or music & video).

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    Cliff, I thought that CentOS vm supports the enhanced mode because it also supports the generation 2 (UEFI) mode, but apparently I was wrong. It looks that the only way to get audio is to connect to your CentOS vm remotely.

6. Cliff S New Member
    ´Codecs are a problem too (for surfing) Debian OSs have "Restricted Extras" I can download through their package manager or using Synaptic and I can install them as needed. They are the codecs like Mp3 flashplayer and so on, CentOS is RedHat based and I have no experience with it... yet, Looks like a learning curve ahead for me, good for the brain matter*chuckle

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Hey Kari, something interesting I just found:
    at least some failures from the guest OS are given in Event Viewer!

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

Yeah, CentOS and Red Hat are quite well integrated in Windows Hyper-V.

9. Sibel Win User
    I am getting below error after cross grub menu:

tsc: tsc Fast tsc calibration failed
    PCI:Fatal No config space access function found
    No controller found

How can I fıx them ?

Regards

Sibel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hyper Install CentOS

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's: Hi there On Linux VM's with HYPER-V on latest build 20H1 : In Non full screen mode you can't adjust the screen area so you can lose the bottom part of the screen. [img] In Full screen mode the Guest doesn't allow monitor size settings to full 1980 X 1080 I don't think...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  6. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  7. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  10. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. centos on hyper-v pci fatal

2. grubby -update-kernel=ALL CENTOS6 hyperv

3. windows 10 hyper-v tutorial centos