Windows 10: HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P

Discus and support HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks especially @Kari One thing with Virtual Machines created by VMware is that it's usually easy to create a physical machine environment from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 22, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P

Hi folks

especially @Kari

One thing with Virtual Machines created by VMware is that it's usually easy to create a physical machine environment from the guest W10 machine by using the various tools out there (V2P conversion).

Even taking an image with Macrium and restoring it to a physical machine often works - not always 100% but many more times than fail !! You might have to repair boot a couple of times, install a couple of drivers and also set the VM to use UEFI boot rather than MBR but the process generally works.

If you don't set the VM BIOS Firmware to use UEFI when initially creating the VM and you try to restore to a UEFI system the thing will fail BTW.

I tried taking a Macrium image from a W10 PRO X64 VM created with HYPER-V and then after restoring I couldn't boot the restored system -- whatever I did - including creating UEFI partitions etc I'd get message "OOPS something went wrong" at boot.

Anybody got a way of doing a V2P conversion from a HYPER-V VM. (Windows 10 X-64 Pro is the guest -- not an insider build either).

Just another note to people who might want to test these scenarios --to avoid losing Windows activation when copying / moving a Windows VM to another host machine -at ist boot with VMware you will see a little dialog box saying "I copied it or I Moved it" before the boot of the VM starts. Choose I MOVED IT not I copied it and activation will be OK. Remember if doing this under the EULA you mustn't run more than 1 copy of the VM at the same time -- 1 machine whether physical or virtual = 1 license.

This is legal but use it sensibly -- VM's are fine for testing and might want all sorts of different cases - obviously it's ridiculous to pay for say 20 licenses when you just use the VM for a few days or hours at a time.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 22, 2018
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2018
  3. SarahKong Win User
    SarahKong, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine

@Brink, regarding the note in Option One Step 4, this is the notification you get when trying to add physical drive when a generation 1 vm is running:
    HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P [​IMG]

VM should not be running when doing it.

Thema:

1. HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P - Similar Threads - HYPER convert Physical

2. capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P): Hi folks @Hopachi one for you as well to try out !!! I've got a great running W10 KVM virtual machine running with all the software working etc -- so I would like to capture the WIM image via DISM. Also I'd like all the software etc on a Windows ISO so I don't have to...
  3. Any way to install hyper-v?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to install hyper-v?: My AMD Ryzen overclocking software won't run until VBS (Virtualization based security) is disabled, which won't work since I don't have the hyper-v file in the windows features settings. any way to re-install it? Or an alternative to turning off VBS? submitted by...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. Physical Machine not connected to Hyper-V systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Physical Machine not connected to Hyper-V systems: Hello Guys I have setup a lab on one standalone machine for Microsoft sccm. My base machine is having Windows 10 OS and not connected to outside Network. In Windows 10 Hyper-V i have build my Test DC with DHCP, SCCM Core server and two test machines. My Hyper-v machines...
  6. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  7. Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM

Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM: Hi there Having got a VM working just the way I want it I wanted to install this on a laptop as a PHYSICAL machine. (VMWARE Easy way : 1) From WITHIN the VM -- uninstall VMWARE tools or VBOX additions etc. 2) Run acronis or other imaging software to create an image of...
  8. HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine

HYPER-V can I Clone the VM to another machine: Hi there I'm trying to clone a W10 VM on to another machine. This new one has INTEL hardware - I've been doing most of my testing with an AMD box - probably a lot of troubles I've had might be to do with the AMD hardware. So I've got HYPER-V all set up - but I can't get...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine: How to: Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine How to Add or Remove a Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used...