Windows 10: Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch

Discus and support Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to get networking working in a VM using the hyper-v default switch. Eventually I want to run a Linux image, but I'm starting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by typer-v, Dec 31, 2018.

1. typer-v Win User

Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch

Hello,

I'm trying to get networking working in a VM using the hyper-v default switch. Eventually I want to run a Linux image, but I'm starting with Windows 10 'dev environment' image to work things out. The Windows image starts, and thinks it has an up adapter, got the 172.* address, etc. However, it can't reach anything outside. No internet.

Does ICS have to be enabled for the Default Switch to work? (disabled on this machine). What else might be the cause?

Lenovo X1 laptop

Windows 10 Enterprise

Version1803

OS build 17134.472

Thanks!

:)

typer-v, Dec 31, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

The default switch is somewhat problematic, I simply cannot understand why MS has decided that it can't be deleted and re-created, to resolve connection issues or simply because user does not need it.

Sometimes it simply does not work and as no apparent reason can be found, the only option user has left with is to disable Hyper-V feature, restart and enable Hyper-V again. This can in some cases lead to lost virtual machines.

That being said, I find it positive that there now exists an option to set up a VM using NAT networking. Default switch is an important feature, I just wish it could be managed as any other switch.

BTW, a workaround for those users who'd prefer not to create an external switch but also would prefer allowing full and easy networking between host and guest thus not wanting to use default switch is simply to set up an internal switch in Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager, make VM to use it, and share host's Internet connection with this internal switch.

Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch [​IMG]

3. EdTittel Win User
    Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Kari: I'm going to add this tip: disable Hyper-V - restart PC - re-enable Hyper-V as a suggested (potential) fix for default switch issues to my recent blog post on that topic. Thanks for working this through with the OP.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 31, 2018
  4. Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch

Hyper-V networking

Windows 10 Pro, Build 10586.71. Hyper-V installed. All was working well, and then I got a chipset update from Dell. Installed the update and rebooted computer. After that networking was not working correctly, windows showed limited connectivity. I looked
    a little to roll back the driver update, but Windows did not show a new Nic card driver and the chipsets I looked at also did not show a current date. The Dell Command update program does not provide a way to uninstall updates.

I tried to access hyper-v switch manager but it returns an error that "an error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches". Also tried using the powershell cmdlet but got a general error.

I accessed the networking center and deleted the Hyper V adapter, then edited my LAN card's config disabling the two Hyper V protocols and enabling the rest. This let me get back on-line with my computer. I have tried uninstalling the Hyper V feature,
    reboot, reinstall - but I am still unable to access the switch manager. I then removed the feature again, re-named the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V directory, rebooted, added the feature again. This time (obviously) none of my VM's show up but
    I'm still unable to access the switch manager.

There is no critical data in my Hyper V, I use it for testing, re-creating issues, learning, etc. Is there a way for Windows 10 (or something designed for server 2012 that will apply) that I can use to fully reset the Hyper v networking, or fully rest all
    of hyper v so I can get it working again? I do use the workstation heavily, it's my work computer so it would be very difficult to impossible to reinstall the OS.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Matthew.Hart.TMG, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch

1. Hyper-V VM Networking thru the default switch - Similar Threads - Hyper Networking thru

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch: Hello,I frequently make VM's with hyper-v either to test things, or just for convenience's sake. usually with windows on them as well.But recently, any VM's I make or have previously made can't connect to the internet at all. I usually just use the "default switch", but that...
  5. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  6. Hyper-v default switch (NAT), no internet network

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-v default switch (NAT), no internet network: Hi all, I have a problem with my hyper-v default virtual switch. If I want to have an internet access on my Hyper-v win 10 virtual machine, i have to start (once) windows sandbox (workaround). After windows sandbox is started, new NIC is created in my win 10 virtual machine...
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network: I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section. First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I also have Windows 10 computer with TV tuner card. I can watch TV on Kodi over the network as the Windows 10 machine...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Hyper-V Default Switch Extension "Not operating correctly"

Hyper-V Default Switch Extension "Not operating correctly": Hello everyone. I just got force fed the 1709 Build 16299.64 update and I am having a problem with the new Default Switch that is a part of the Hyper-V. When I go to look at the settings I see an error about the Microsoft Azure VFP Switch Extension as it says down below "The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cant i select private network in hyper-v

2. windows 10 hyper-v default switch not working

3. difference between default and external switch hyper-v

4. hyper-v default switch explained,
  5. connect to internet in hyperv vm using defualt switch,
  6. workaround for default switch,
  7. using hyper-v default switch,
  8. hyperv new vm networking default switch,
  9. hyperv default switch accéder au vm,
  10. delete default switch hyper v,
  11. hyper-v default switch problem