Windows 10: Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

Discus and support Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Can you please help?I am missing many of the required Hyper-V services as seen in the image below. Can you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by jlee102, Aug 5, 2022.

1. jlee102 Win User

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Can you please help?I am missing many of the required Hyper-V services as seen in the image below. Can you please help restore the required items? This machine is my personal machine not the property of a business nor is this machine on a domain. Image: Left - Required Services Reference from Microsoft Docs, Right - Services running on my machine showing many missing, Lower Right - Error code that displays when you run a VMImage: Force starting vmicvss service fails shows it does not existWhat is the quick way to restore just the services? I can not

:)

jlee102, Aug 5, 2022

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back with a reply.

I suggest you to start the Volume shadow copy service and check. Follow these steps:

a. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box.

b. Search for the Volume shadow copy service and make sure the start- up type is automatic.

i. Right click on the service

ii. If the service is stopped, then Start the service

iii. Select Properties

iv. And in the Start-up type select Automatic.

c. Click Ok.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 5, 2022
  3. shadowynd Win User
    Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Aug 5, 2022
  4. SV Max Win User

Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service

The full error is:

Backup failed to complete. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SSP" application event logs for more information. Detailed error: The operation ended before completion.

Upon checking the event log, it says:

The backup operation that started at '‎2020‎-‎05‎-‎08T21:33:38.477000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '0x807800A1'.

What am I trying to do?

I'm running Windows Server 2016 as a Hyper-V host. I have some virtual machines that I would like to back up using the Windows Server Backup feature as shown here:

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed 7d16ac00-6ce1-49fd-b87c-09e356142342?upload=true.png

I am backing these VMs to a remote shared folder and eventually get these backed up on a schedule on a daily basis (but that's outside this post). The issue is that every time I try to backup these VMs, the above error message appears. For whatever reason,
    these backups work just fine in our test environment but do not work in our production environment.

I did some reading and found that the Volume Shadow Copy service has to be running in order for this to work. I looked in Services and found that it wasn't running. I started it and enabled Automatic startup. This did not work. I found that there are dependencies
    on this service (such as Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service) that have be running too. These also did not correct the issue.

Our Windows firewall is turned off and antivirus is disabled too.

Does anyone have any suggestion or solution to this issue?

Thanks.

SV Max, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

1. Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed - Similar Threads - Hyper Volume Shadow

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service not working [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Volume Shadow Copy Service not working [Fix]: [IMG]When the Volume Shadow Copy Service is not working on your Windows computer, you may encounter different types of error messages. VSS is a crucial component of the Windows operating system that allows users to create backups and restore previous versions of files....
  3. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  4. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  5. Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Can you please help?I am missing many of the required Hyper-V services as seen in the image below. Can you please help restore the required items? This machine is my personal machine not the property of a business nor is this machine...
  6. Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Can you please help?I am missing many of the required Hyper-V services as seen in the image below. Can you please help restore the required items? This machine is my personal machine not the property of a business nor is this machine...
  7. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  8. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  9. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service: The full error is: Backup failed to complete. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SSP" application event logs for more information. Detailed error: The operation ended before completion. Upon checking the event log, it says: The backup...