Windows 10: Hyper-V vs VMWare (In context of copying files from host to guest)

Discus and support Hyper-V vs VMWare (In context of copying files from host to guest) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I know that when copying files from host to guest, "DataExchangeHost.exe" is used to exchange data.. now this happens when we are using Hyper-V as as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/4hm3dh4ny, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Hyper-V vs VMWare (In context of copying files from host to guest)

I know that when copying files from host to guest, "DataExchangeHost.exe" is used to exchange data.. now this happens when we are using Hyper-V as as a hypervisor... my question is what is the similar executable in case of using VMWare as a hypervisor instead of Hyper-V?

Note: this post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/57roh5/what_is_dataexchangehostexe/) answered by u/oftheterra explains well what "DataExchangeHost.exe" does.

submitted by /u/4hm3dh4ny
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/4hm3dh4ny, Dec 26, 2019
  2. joerayner Win User

Secure file share with between host and hyper-v guest

I have a windows 10 host running hyper-v. I want to share the files that are on the host securely with a hyper-v vm without having to copy the files, i.e. the file share is on the host not the guest.

Current method is to set up a file share on the host and disable authentication for ALL file shares, this is so that I do not need to store the host account
    credential on the VM which would be a risk. I then set up a internal virtual switch in hyper-v and disable files sharing protocal on ALL other network interfaces on the host. I not sure this is secure but its defiantly not very elegant for such a seeming
    simple problem.

I can see it causeing problems in the future when we need another files share on the host for a differnet reason.

Is there a simpler, less invasive way to do this?

joerayner, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    How do I transfer files from Windows 10 host to Windows XP guest in Hyper-V?

Hi Larry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Transferring files from a host OS to a guest OS in Hyper-V can be done through multiple ways. You may want to refer
    to the suggestion by H Shakir on the thread
    How to setup files and
    folders sharing between Hyper-V host and guest operating system
    and see if it helps.

However, if you have further queries regarding the same, I would suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals well equipped with the
    knowledge on Hyper-V.

Additional Information:

Hyper-V on Windows 10

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Hyper-V vs VMWare (In context of copying files from host to guest)

How do I transfer files from Windows 10 host to Windows XP guest in Hyper-V?

how do I transfer files from Windows 10 host to Windows XP guest in Hyper-V?

* Moved from Community Participation Center

* Original title: windows XP and hyper-v problems

LarryWickline, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V vs VMWare (In context of copying files from host to guest)

1. Hyper-V vs VMWare (In context of copying files from host to guest) - Similar Threads - Hyper VMWare context

2. vmware file conversion to hyper-v file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    vmware file conversion to hyper-v file: i had a problem using my virtual machine in vmware so i thought that i can use that file in hyper -v but how to convert .vmdk file into .vhdx or vhd please guide...
  3. Clipboard between host and Hyper-V guest not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clipboard between host and Hyper-V guest not working: I enabled Hyper-V and installed Windows XP (for very old apps). Everything seemed to be fine until I realize that I cannot transfer files between the host and the guest using clipboard! Any idea? Thanks! 169021
  4. BSOD when copying files from host to guest VMware workstation VMs.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from host to guest VMware workstation VMs.: Hello, I am encountering BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA whenever I attempt to copy files from my host machine into my VMware Workstation VMs. It is not VM specific but happens to different VMs as well. This occurs 7 out of 10 times and I can't identify the cause of it...
  5. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  6. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains: I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more experience over the years using VMWare Workstation (ESX too) as well as VirtualBox. I thought I would give Hyper-V another go...
  7. Very slow file transfer from hyper-v to host drive

Very slow file transfer from hyper-v to host drive: I have my hard drives connected using enhanced mode options to a hyper-v vm (10 pro). I have always had issues with slow file transfer, and was pointed down route of setting up folders as network shares, and I got much faster file transfer times. However, I am trying to...
  8. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...