Windows 10: Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Discus and support Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by spkay31, Aug 29, 2019.

1. spkay31 Win User

Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more experience over the years using VMWare Workstation (ESX too) as well as VirtualBox.

I thought I would give Hyper-V another go when I upgraded my work system to Windows 10 at the end of last year. After finally getting around to enabling Hyper-V and setting up a couple of VM's (Win 7, Win XP, CentOS and Ubuntu) I just could not bring myself to want to change to Hyper-V from VMWare Workstation. My main complaints were the following:

1) Setting up VM's in Hyper-V was more cumbersome and involved more steps to get Linux GUI environments enabled. Maybe I missed something but this is pretty automatic in VMWare workstation while it involved a lot of work after initial Linux installation in Hyper-V. Conclusion - Hyper-V didn't automatically install with GUI enabled for Linux variants. Am I correct or did I just miss something about installation options in Hyper-V?

2) Getting local VM sessions displayed in native monitor resolutions was not apparent to me for Hyper-V. I understand you can also connect locally to the VM via rdp vs opening session from the Hyper-V manager but even then things were not so clear on how to get the native resolutions supported. In contrast VMWare Workstation always figures out the native resolution on completion of the VMWare tools installation at the completion of the VM install process and there is never any time spent screwing around with resolution settings just to open the VM at full screen res. Again is there something I am missing about Hyper-V, it seems like it is really only focused on remote VM sessions in terms of resolution flexibility and local sessions are a hassle to configure/change.

3) Network configuration for Hyper-V is much more complicated, now I don't want to dis Hyper-V here solely for this requirement. I believe there are sound reasons for the network topology used and I was able to create the virtual switches fine, but again it seems like if Hyper-V were considering both local AND remote VM management as target audiences the network topology could be simplified like it is for VMWare Workstation which just create a network connection based on individual choices for individual VM's (NAT, Bridged, etc.) and doesn't require an entire VSwitch based network for the hypervisor environment.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I ask because I have no real reason to want to use another hypervisor environment in lieu of Hyper-V but just can't live with all it's additional tasks and limitations when trying to use it as a local desktop hypervisor to manage multiple VM's on a single machine.

TIA,
    -Scott

:)

spkay31, Aug 29, 2019

2. VMware is not working in Windows 10 Home edition due to "Hyper-V role".

I use VMware Workstation Player 14 as a Virtual Machine runner. However, when I try to run a virtual machine, VMware tells me:

VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role

from the system before running VMware player.

I know that Windows 10 Home does not have Hyper-V but VMware says it does, and I have not been able to run a virtual machine since.

Can anyone help me?

Finlay Collins, Aug 29, 2019
  3. MAS
    MaS Win User
    Hyper V or VMWare?

I previously used VMWare Workstation 10 on Windows 8.1 x64.
    When I uninstalled VMWare Workstation 10 I found the following:
    1. Irreversible changes to Windows 8.1 system setup
    2. A huge number
    of files and folders left on my system that could not be deleted
    I had to format my C:\ drive and re-install Windows 8.1 afresh.

My question now is:
    If I install Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro x64, will take control of my system and make irreversible changes like VMWare Workstation did?

4. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Uh-oh! Are Hyper-V Windows 10 and VMware Workstation compatible?

I came across this today and I really did not delve to deeply but is the gist of this right? that if I have VMware Workstation already installed that I am going to run in to problems creating a VM using Hyper V? TIA.

are Hyper-V Windows 10 and VMware Workstation compatible

phaedruspress, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

1. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains - Similar Threads - Hyper VMWare Workstation

2. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  3. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V Working Together

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V Working Together: Yesterday VMware demonstrated a pre-release version of VMware Workstation with early support for the Windows Hypervisor Platform in the What's New in VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation session at VMworld. In Windows 10 we have introduced many security features that utilize...
  4. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  5. VMWARE and Ms to have HYPER-V and Workstation / Player to co-exist

VMWARE and Ms to have HYPER-V and Workstation / Player to co-exist: Hi folks I don't normally get involved in what is often perceived as Vaporware but this idea of HYPER-V and VMWARE co-existing is something that people have wanted for a long time -- and it looks that the next release of Workstation (16 --not out yet --current release is...
  6. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have enabled Hyper-V previously and you are trying to install VMware or any other virtual machine creator, you may confront an error – VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Users face such an issue since Windows 10 [...] This post VMware...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...